LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 April 2 2021

Tech Guru

Re: Emigrating out of Lebanon - General Questions

user wrote:
Techlover wrote:

Hi guys,

I am trying to find a way to immigrate outside Lebanon. I am a Computer and telecommunications(Masters of engineering) graduate with 2 years experience in the IT field ( IT Support).

I am trying to find a way to immigrate (since i can't find a fresh dollars job in the IT infrastructure field here, seems they are rare in Lebanon(contrarily to development jobs) .

What ways do you suggest to immigrate? I have uncles and aunts in the UK, Canada. But after my research i found they can't really help .

What alternative ways could work so i can move out with such a limited experience?

Thanks

I think if you get it up to 3 years you might be able to apply to Canada and have a good chance of being accepted. The immigration process does not give a shit about how in demand your job is, they only care that work experience matches the degree, and that your masters is from a university they recognize, and that you are under 30, and that you have a good english score.
I am also told that Canada still accepts proof of funds from Lebanese banks, even though the banks are holding the money hostage, they also still recognize 1500 lira as one dollar, so show them proof of 15 million liras and you are set to go.

If you do make it to here, it doesn't matter if you work your first year as a cashier at walmart, you'll still be paid more than in Lebanon, and you can climb the ladder of jobs with time.

If you are nearing 30, you should shift focus towards Australia, you have to hit 33 years old before you start being at a disadvantage. But 2 years of work experience and approaching 30 would be a very bad combination

Proof of funds is not a matter of paper evidence only. You need an actual Canadian USD when you land in there as a visa express entry. The Canadian government will not provide you anything  at the first stage.  You need to manage your rent and life expenses until you find a job. Therefore,  the 15million LBP at the current hyper inflation will result at 15 million LBP / 11500 ( current rate) = 1304 USD = 1640 CAD $ , which is way below the threshold to manage your life when you land there. In addition the process ( degrees accreditation , IETLTs, visa express entry file processing , biometrics … ) all to be paid in fresh USD too. For example for a family  of 3 members ( husband , wife , and a kid ) you need approximately 3500$ before going to Canada.

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 3 2021)

#27 July 12 2021

ap4ss3rby

I am getting fed up with how bad the situation in Lebanon has become, primarily just how hopeless the entire situation is, and to just escape the political landscape even if everything was fine. Assuming I have relatives living (aunts specifically) in the US with US citizenship, how hard would it be to get a US Visa to work there while I sort my life and Immigrate to where I ideally want to live which is somewhere toward the west of Europe(Main focus is France/Germany/Switzerland but open to other options). If going to the US is the same difficulty then where do I apply in Europe in hopes of gaining some European citizenship, preferably in the Schengen area to make it easier to enter Switzerland? Currently I am a 2nd year in Computer Science and would like input on where to take my 1st step.

#28 July 13 2021

jsaade

ap4ss3rby wrote:

I am getting fed up with how bad the situation in Lebanon has become, primarily just how hopeless the entire situation is, and to just escape the political landscape even if everything was fine. Assuming I have relatives living (aunts specifically) in the US with US citizenship, how hard would it be to get a US Visa to work there while I sort my life and Immigrate to where I ideally want to live which is somewhere toward the west of Europe(Main focus is France/Germany/Switzerland but open to other options). If going to the US is the same difficulty then where do I apply in Europe in hopes of gaining some European citizenship, preferably in the Schengen area to make it easier to enter Switzerland? Currently I am a 2nd year in Computer Science and would like input on where to take my 1st step.

- If you can afford school abroad, then that is your best option.
- Family sponsorship is hard and I do not think it applies to Aunts.
- US Visa is especially hard (unless student visa), i.e Work visa (h1B) is a lottery system and a company must sponsor you.
- Canada Express entry will require you to have a degree to get points, your best bet is applying for a university there and continuing your education.
- Same for EU, to get hired, most (not all) companies would require some kind of degree, otherwise you can apply to a university there and continue your education.

When continuing your education, most countries will give you an additional year or 2 to work in that country and while working that company would eventually sponsor your work visa. These years accumulate and once you hit a certain stay requirements (3-5 years depending on the country), you would then apply to change your status to resident.

Of course above is a generalization but in essence, you either need to finish get a degree and apply for work, or choose a country and continue your education abroad.

Last edited by jsaade (July 13 2021)

#29 July 13 2021

samer
Admin

Higher education in Germany is (almost) free for foreigners provided you can get accepted. Many programs are in English, so no worries about the language. You could finish your CS degree next year and apply for a master's, or if you are fed up, you can start from scratch with a BS.

You would need to double check, but my understanding is that students are also allowed to work to fund their living (it is common for companies to hire "working students"), and as jsaade mentioned, you'll get some time after you are done with your studies to find a job.
Alternatively, you could apply for a scholarship that covers your living costs.

Citizenship is possible after 6 years with a B2 level of German, or 8 years with a B1 level.

Have a look at France and Austria as well.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

#30 July 13 2021

Guitaret

I always favored Canada over Germany as an immigration choice for language reasons.
I know most speak English but how easy is it to incorporate into society if you are not fluent in German?

Moreover, I heard many claims from Lebanese people who lived in Germany about racial discrimination they faced climbing up the corporate ladder (for instance). However, this is hardly the case in Canada where the population & demographics are from all over.
Racism is a real bummer that you forget it exists when you live in a country with far more primitive problems.

#31 July 19 2021

rolf

I want to make the somewhat pedantic remark that Emigration means "leaving the country" as opposed to Immigration, so it is superfluous, in my humble opinion, to follow it with "out of Lebanon".

Guitaret wrote:

I know most speak English but how easy is it to incorporate into society if you are not fluent in German?

It depends a bit but generally you will be at a disadvantage. Germans love their paperwork, and it will of course be in German (I mean all the official stuff, banks, etc.) and they will expect you to write and read German. Don't expect bank employees, for example, to take the time to translate it and explain it to you, although of course it depends on banks. If you have a friend or family that can go with you (or a lawyer) to help you out it can work. It is also possible that your company helps you out with this. So that is why I say that it depends.

Regarding racism I have the feeling that there is less social mobility in Germany than Canada and that Canada is more of an immigrant nation. That said, again, it depends, and also you can always get a well paid job in Germany no matter your ethnic background.

For your social and even professional life (depending on what you do and for which company), it should be fine. Generally younger Germans can easily switch to English (possibly with a funny accent).

I would expect one of the challenging bits to be different social norms and different systems (banking, education, etc).

Last edited by rolf (July 19 2021)

#32 July 29 2021

mhd196

Adnan wrote:

Checkout Honeypot.io for job offers in Germany and the Netherlands. It works by you making a profile and then you get a batch of companies applying to you every week.

How much Honeypot commission if salary was 60 K euro?

#33 July 30 2021

Adnan

mhd196 wrote:
Adnan wrote:

Checkout Honeypot.io for job offers in Germany and the Netherlands. It works by you making a profile and then you get a batch of companies applying to you every week.

How much Honeypot commission if salary was 60 K euro?

They take a certain amount from the company if you're hired. Nothing from you.

#34 September 2 2021

DG

Leaving to Canada soon.  Do you think it would be a good idea / profitable (cost wise) / safe  (humidity and heat wise) to ship my PC by sea freight.

Pc specs: i7 6700, 16gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb

Or should I just carry hard drives (internal and external) + my VGA card in my hand bag and buy the other components there ?

Also do you think I should delete all pirated data  (including the windows OS) from my drives ?

#35 September 2 2021

tricky

DG wrote:

Leaving to Canada soon.  Do you think it would be a good idea / profitable (cost wise) / safe  (humidity and heat wise) to ship my PC by sea freight.

Pc specs: i7 6700, 16gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb

Or should I just carry hard drives (internal and external) + my VGA card in my hand bag and buy the other components there ?

Also do you think I should delete all pirated data  (including the windows OS) from my drives ?

I put everything in my carry on bag minus the case when i was coming to lebanon.

hmm i dont know canada doesnt seem to be too strict on pirated stuff, i think, i can be wrong.

#36 September 2 2021

Hybrid

I put my entire desktop pc in my luggage (Except the hard drive) when i was travelling to lebanon.
I wrapped the pc with bubble wraps which you can buy from any $1 shop, then i put a fluffy pillow in the bottom and top of the pc, and on the sides i put some clothes.

Also note, in Canada the voltage is 110v 60hz, make sure your power supply supports that. In my case i had to leave it in Lebanon since it was only 220v

Last edited by Hybrid (September 2 2021)

#37 September 2 2021

anayman_k7

When I moved to UK I removed all the parts from the case and put the fragile items in their boxes and stuffed it with protective materials, I bought a cheap case when I arrived and assembled it here, I dont think it is worth to put the case in the bag since it is a waste of space, unless you can cover the sensitive parts and then stuff it with socks and underwear to use the space, still a heavy case made from metal is not worth it in m y opinion

#38 September 23 2021

Pugan

So I finally left lebanon. And let me tell you quickly that the hype IS REAL. I never imagined it to be this amazing! I am in moscow btw.

Everything, like literally everything, from the streets, crosswalks, stop signs, timers, cleanliness, organization, beautiful architecture, the extreme care for a human being walking on the streets, the amazing transportation systems… I can keep going till forever. But above everything, there is one thing that really keeps blowing my mind away till this day! Lebanon is a place where the things that occupy your mental abilities and time, are things that no human being should ever consider to think about in their entire life! Things like electricity, fuel, transportation, water, food, economical crisis, extreme political corruption… The thing that seriously made me feel like I am in a dream, is how calm my mind is here! I feel like I can finally focus on whatever thing I want! freely and without any inturrptions. AND this is a dormitory student speaking!! This is seriously a great pleasure I experience every single day. My friends in europe told me: "Welcome to a normal life." )

For all the ambitious or success pursuing people out there, please, try to leave, at the soonest possible opportunity.

Last edited by Pugan (September 23 2021)

#39 September 24 2021

AVOlio

Pugan wrote:

So I finally left lebanon. And let me tell you quickly that the hype IS REAL. I never imagined it to be this amazing! I am in moscow btw.

Everything, like literally everything, from the streets, crosswalks, stop signs, timers, cleanliness, organization, beautiful architecture, the extreme care for a human being walking on the streets, the amazing transportation systems… I can keep going till forever. But above everything, there is one thing that really keeps blowing my mind away till this day! Lebanon is a place where the things that occupy your mental abilities and time, are things that no human being should ever consider to think about in their entire life! Things like electricity, fuel, transportation, water, food, economical crisis, extreme political corruption… The thing that seriously made me feel like I am in a dream, is how calm my mind is here! I feel like I can finally focus on whatever thing I want! freely and without any inturrptions. AND this is a dormitory student speaking!! This is seriously a great pleasure I experience every single day. My friends in europe told me: "Welcome to a normal life." )

For all the ambitious or success pursuing people out there, please, try to leave, at the soonest possible opportunity.

Congrats.

I wished to leave the country since my teenage years.

But never had the means to, or was aware of the know how's.

#40 September 24 2021

Pugan

AVOlio wrote:
Pugan wrote:

Congrats.

how old are you now? you married and have children?

#41 September 24 2021

Guitaret

@Pugan, thanks for sharing, I almost felt standing in your shoes.
I am leaving soon and looking forward for the new experience, but I have one question:
I am leaving to Georgia (escale in Turkey first), is it possible that I get a 1 way ticket?
I don't know when I am coming back and I don't want to purchase a ticket for nothing but people keep telling me that security will not like the absence of a return ticket, what do you think? Should I risk it and get only a 1 way ticket?

#42 September 24 2021

AVOlio

Pugan wrote:
AVOlio wrote:
Pugan wrote:

Congrats.

Im 29..
No wife no children.

#43 September 24 2021

Pugan

AVOlio wrote:
Pugan wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Congrats.

Im 29..
No wife no children.

you can still leave I think. Unless there are other reasons that are stopping you from leaving, it's a bit weird to me that you never knew of the means to do it. The internet is full of stuff! I mean ofcourse, it depends on where you are going and what you wanna do there, but long story short, any opportunity you get to leave lebanon for any respectful country, will still give you a life miles better than the one you have in Lebanon.

Take me for example, studying music (which was only my hobby nothing more), at one of the best and most competitve academies in the country, in a very cold country, living in a very old and kind of shitty dormitory, and knowing less than 10% russian, knowing that it's a treasure if you find an english speaker among the russians and that my academy teaches only in russian, with all of these challenges that might somehow seem impossible to be honest, I still see it as a heaven compared to lebanon!

Last edited by Pugan (September 24 2021)

#44 September 24 2021

Pugan

Guitaret wrote:

I am leaving soon and looking forward for the new experience, but I have one question:
I am leaving to Georgia (escale in Turkey first), is it possible that I get a 1 way ticket?
I don't know when I am coming back and I don't want to purchase a ticket for nothing but people keep telling me that security will not like the absence of a return ticket, what do you think? Should I risk it and get only a 1 way ticket?

Hi there! Did you get your visa or not yet?

#45 September 24 2021

Guitaret

Pugan wrote:
Guitaret wrote:

It doesn't need a visa for Lebanese, I just want to know if I am obliged to purchase a return ticket.

#46 September 25 2021

DG

Do you guys think I can put my external drives in the checked luggage (the one that does NOT go up with me on the plane) ? Or will the drives be damaged and/or stolen that way ?

Last edited by DG (September 25 2021)

#47 September 25 2021

Hybrid

Guitaret wrote:
Pugan wrote:
Guitaret wrote:

It doesn't need a visa fro Lebanese, I just want to know if I am obliged to purchase a return ticket.

Get a refundable one, buy it, print an itinerary, cancel it, get your money back. If asked by the security, show them the itinerary.

#48 September 25 2021

Pugan

DG wrote:

Do you guys think I can put my external drives in the checked luggage (the one that does NOT go up with me on the plane) ? Or will the drives be damaged and/or stolen that way ?

I suggest you keep them with the carry on baggage (the one that goes with you on the plane) since it will stay with you all the time and noone else will carry it or throw it. The checked luggage will go through a lot of harsh work and reckless throwing here and there, that your harddrivers, unless seriously properly secured and protected in place, they might get damaged.

Last edited by Pugan (September 25 2021)

#49 December 8 2021

Space

My brother this year finished college (AUB) he studied nursing, what's the best option right now? he's fluent in English and knows Turkish.

Last edited by Space (December 9 2021)

#50 January 23 2023

rolf

Hello, in 2019 I had a work contract in Quebec and had started all the necessary steps for securing a temporary work permit in relation to this contract, as directed by the company.

In dec 2020 we were waiting for the last step so that I can leave for Canada and join the company when they notified me that they were "canceling the contract" which I'm pretty sure is a breach of contract.

So it's been a while but I still want to see if there is anything I can do to get my rights back, at least some compensation for all the time that I spent preparing the paperwork and for loss of income.

I'm back in Beirut so not sure how to proceed. I know I should probably talk to a lawyer but does anyone has any specific tips, maybe for one that would be affordable?

Last edited by rolf (January 23 2023)

Board footer