LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 4 2021

Hybrid

Where to buy APS and Battery in Lebanon?

With all the powercuts going on, I'm looking for a way to have at least 8~9 hours power a day, for just a fan and TV really, probably 220V, 5A should do it.

I'm guessing I'll need an APS and some kind of a battery(s).

Any idea who sells something like that, or if there's a different way to achieve this?

#2 August 4 2021

Guitaret

Re: Where to buy APS and Battery in Lebanon?

I have done my research and yeah it is a big topic and there are many ways to achieve it, if you want long term solution you will have to add solar panels to your system and there are simple and cheaper ways to do so. You don't need a full solar system with a 5000$ (and up) budget.

If you don't want solar, and you want an inverter system that is depending on the grid electricity to charge it, I can help you out in this one as well.
Before that, please answer me this, do you want your APS to last 9 hours straight with full 1100 watts consumption?
Try to give the proper number because the cost heavily depends on your parameters.

#3 August 4 2021

nuclearcat

Keep in mind, your APS need equivalent power to recharge, and lead acid batteries need several hours of charging current.
If you discharge lead-acid below 40%, you need about 7 hours of power to recharge them. This is limitation of chemistry.
If you get lithium ion (they are rare and expensive in Lebanon), its about 8000wh capacity, to recharge them in hour, you need 36 amperes(!!!) 220V. If you add in accounting inefficiencies - it is even more.
So like Guitaret - your solution only solar and keep in mind power balance.

#4 August 4 2021

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

couple years ago i used my local electrician to get me an APS (600w if i remember correctly) and a battery (1 x 150amp) he connected it to the lights tv and my pc, under load the battery lasts less than an hour, if it's light load like lights + pc with chrome only it lasts 4-5 hours, an important thing to note is that my pc under full load does not remotely reach 600 watts but if i turn everything off in the house and only use the pc and open an intensive game such as gta the ups can't handle it it will beep and turn off and require a manual turning on. I suspect the brands of APS here cannot handle their rated wattage on electricity loss so I think you should always go for a higher wattage than you need so you ensure keeping constant flow of electricity regardless of power loss. It is very frustrating having bought this APS (for at the time to keep my pc on during the 5 mins it takes for generator to come on) and have it only work if i have chrome open and nothing else.

with my current setup:
lights + wifi lasts over 6hrs (highest amount of electric cuts was 6hrs so far)
lights + wifi + light pc usage aka chrome lasts max 6hrs
lights + wifi + League of legends with gpu capped at 40% power usage max 4hrs
lights + wifi + any intensive game even with 40% gpu power usage gives instant off
just pc with intensive game and 40% gpu power usage gives instant off

I don't remember how much did the inverter cost but the battery was $150

#5 August 4 2021

Hybrid

Guitaret wrote:

I have done my research and yeah it is a big topic and there are many ways to achieve it, if you want long term solution you will have to add solar panels to your system and there are simple and cheaper ways to do so. You don't need a full solar system with a 5000$ (and up) budget.

If you don't want solar, and you want an inverter system that is depending on the grid electricity to charge it, I can help you out in this one as well.
Before that, please answer me this, do you want your APS to last 9 hours straight with full 1100 watts consumption?
Try to give the proper number because the cost heavily depends on your parameters.

I'd say, on average the consumption will be 600W, but can go up to 1100.

I only have a small balcony, so not sure how much solar panel can help in this case?

I prefer nuclearcat approach with batteries, even if it's gonna take several hours to recharge, but not sure how many batteries would I need and where to buy an APS from?

#6 August 5 2021

Guitaret

Hybrid wrote:

I'd say, on average the consumption will be 600W, but can go up to 1100.

I only have a small balcony, so not sure how much solar panel can help in this case?

I prefer nuclearcat approach with batteries, even if it's gonna take several hours to recharge, but not sure how many batteries would I need and where to buy an APS from?

My APS is 1200va but realistically speaking, my inverter gives me a max of ~4.3 amps in capacity (max of 960watts).
The problem is that most 1200va APS (which I think is the size you need) are 12 volts, meaning that they are to be connected to one 12v battery (preferably, but you can connect 2 batteries in parallel but it will be a bit heavy on the charger).

Let's assume you got the 220AH tubular battery (lives longer than "kamyon" flat lead-acid battery), here's the max you can get out of it for an average of 600W consumption:

220ah x 12v x 85% (invertion rate) x 70% (maximum healthy depletion rate) = 1570W.
1570 / 600 = 2.6 Hours (only when the battery is in a new stage)

If you want double this time (5.2 hours):

I- You either install 2 batteries in parallel (on a 1200VA APS) (but it is extremely important that the batteries are both new):
Pros: lower cost APS, the charger does not consume much from your generator subscription
Cons: Long charging time (up to 9 hours I assume)
Cost (approx): ~180$ + 2 x 250$ = 680$

II - Get a 24v APS, (1800VA and above) (to connect to 2 batteries in series)
Pros: It gives you more amps (6.5 and above) if you need to use it on devices (fridge or hairdryer), less charging time: 5 hours
Cons: APS is more expensive, the charger takes more amps from your generator subscription
Cost (approx): ~300$ + 2 x 250$ = 800$

Location: I can refer the place that I got mine from, but he doesn't have tubular batteries AFAIK

P.S. If you are rich, go for the lithium batteries, they damage less when full depletion, they charge faster, they last a minimum of 10 years.

Last edited by Guitaret (August 5 2021)

#7 August 5 2021

Hybrid

Thanks Guitaret,

Any idea how long flat lead-acid battery would last, assuming I'm using them everyday?

And yes it would be great if you can send me the the place from where you bought the aps/batteries

#8 August 10 2021

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

been looking for batteries as well it seems they are all out of stock in lebanon (200amps) anyone got any idea who still has them and their price?

#9 August 11 2021

Guitaret

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge wrote:

been looking for batteries as well it seems they are all out of stock in lebanon (200amps) anyone got any idea who still has them and their price?

Do share when you find a supplier please (200ah and above), thank you.

#10 August 11 2021

Guitaret

Hybrid wrote:

Thanks Guitaret,

Any idea how long flat lead-acid battery would last, assuming I'm using them everyday?

And yes it would be great if you can send me the the place from where you bought the aps/batteries

The name is "Roukoz electronics" (you can find him on social media), but few days ago when I reached out to him (I wanted to upgrade mine), he said he is out of most APS models and expects a shipment soon.

#11 September 18 2021

M03

Where can I buy an APS/Inverter 12v in the range of 1500W-1800W
1 Deep Cycle GEL Battery 12v (range from 200-250Ah)

Location and name of the company/person would be really appreciated.

#12 September 19 2021

Guitaret

M03 wrote:

My cousin have a solar business and he told me that the country is out of batteries till next month, but don't take my word for it.

#13 September 20 2021

AvoK95

Guitaret wrote:
M03 wrote:

My cousin have a solar business and he told me that the country is out of batteries till next month, but don't take my word for it.

Can confirm from a project I know a company is working on.

#14 September 25 2021

Guitaret

M03 wrote:

A shop in Amchit just received a stock of batteries.
Brand: Duro Tech, tubular battery, 200ah and not sure if 220ah as well.

Let me know if you want me to share contact details

Board footer