LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5776 January 30 2021

zizo99

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Hello, I live in a region where DSL is not reliable and very slow (near saida)
Looking for high-speed internet that doesn't require a landline phone to operate
something 10mbps+ speed

and not 4G it's so expensive

#5777 February 20 2021

samer
Admin

Admin note: I moved THGV-related posts to their dedicated feedback topic (which is now stickied)

#5778 February 20 2021

AvoK95

zizo99 wrote:

Hello, I live in a region where DSL is not reliable and very slow (near saida)
Looking for high-speed internet that doesn't require a landline phone to operate
something 10mbps+ speed

and not 4G it's so expensive

You can try asking ISP's if they can provide Microwave connection in your area.

Last edited by AvoK95 (February 20 2021)

#5779 February 21 2021

infiniteloop

Is Fiber as good as advertised in Lebanon? Or it's like adsl  with lot of capped download speed on torrents?
Do they offer things like unlimited weekends?
The only thing killing me is the abusive price of unlimited night

#5780 February 21 2021

ZER0

infiniteloop wrote:

Is Fiber as good as advertised in Lebanon? Or it's like adsl  with lot of capped download speed on torrents?
Do they offer things like unlimited weekends?
The only thing killing me is the abusive price of unlimited night

I don't know a lot about fiber but if I ever get one I'd get 300 gbs with unlimited night no matter the cost of the unlimited night. I'm currently subscribed to a limited plan with unlimited night, and I download all the series, updates, games at night, so I basically only spend my data on a bit of gaming, and streaming on YouTube. Note that I live with my family (we are 5 in total and all of them use the internet), and we only have 150 gbs, and honestly it's more than enough, and with the extra 50 gbs I'm not even being cautious. I'm just trying to show you how effective unlimited night is and that you wouldn't need more than 300 gbs unless you live with a lot of other people. Hope this helps

#5781 March 22 2021

yousef455

My Grandfather living in Lebanon is experiencing many problems with his internet connection. Because of the corona virus we try regularly to video call him since he is mostly alone.
His internet connection is very bad and not suitable for these calls, I saw online that in Lebanon all the Internet providers have the same connection standards so the solution is not to switch a provider but to improve the existing situation. His internet provider is Ogero so we are looking for a solution to improve his connection.
Is there an option to connect to an additional internet provider? Has anyone tried this before and can share their experience?

Would love for help and advice,
Thank you!

#5782 March 22 2021

AvoK95

Video calling shouldn't be that bad even with the worse internet connection from Ogero.

You have to check his Wi-Fi connection if it's getting too weak in the place where he's sitting if his modem is too old, and your phone lines.

Start by changing your DSL filter. There should one in every single phone in the house, even if there's no modem connected to them, they all need filters.

Then call Ogero to see the noise you have with your phone wire, sometimes in old buildings they have to replace, my dad's shop in Mar Mkhayel had a line that was almost 100 years old, I changed it with some CAT6 wire his neighbor gave us and the phone quality changed drastically, I can only imagine how much an internet connection would improve.

Don't forget to check the WiFi connection and the noise around the signal, sometimes you might have full bars but that signal would be full of noise to a point where the data can't be transferred as properly/efficiently.

#5783 April 2 2021

Ari

hello everyone, please if you can assist me with few questions:

1- so i want to bring a landline to my home, the telephone cabinet is 30 meters away from my place and its totally empty (the central/switches are located 500 meters away from me, via underground cable), shall i buy a cat6 cable for ogero people to connect my home to? or shall i let them install their ordinary cable? (my primary use will be the internet)

2- we live in Annaya-Jbeil, can anyone recommend an ISP for me based on your experience and proximity to Annaya-Jbeil  ? wise, sodetel, idm, ogero, cyberia all state they cover Annaya, with which one shall i contract? we are heavy users (quota wise so unlimited night will be a plus). i want something stable and reliable (no gamers at home)

any advice/ assistance will be much appreciated.

#5784 April 2 2021

ZER0

Ari wrote:

1- so i want to bring a landline to my home, the telephone cabinet is 30 meters away from my place and its totally empty (the central/switches are located 500 meters away from me, via underground cable), shall i buy a cat6 cable for ogero people to connect my home to? or shall i let them install their ordinary cable? (my primary use will be the internet)

2- we live in Annaya-Jbeil, can anyone recommend an ISP for me based on your experience and proximity to Annaya-Jbeil  ? wise, sodetel, idm, ogero, cyberia all state they cover Annaya, with which one shall i contract? we are heavy users (quota wise so unlimited night will be a plus). i want something stable and reliable (no gamers at home)

Sorry can't help you with the first one. But for the second, I recommend you choose the closest isp for you, or try to search for cable (something like that I don't know what to call it) and ask your neighbors. I've tried sodetel open speed 150gbs with unlimited night, we are a family of 5 and it was enough for us. Everyone told me they have horrible service, but they promised me at least 8mbs and that's what I got. So keep in mind the distance between you and the isp

#5785 April 4 2021

Ari

any other inputs guys ?

#5786 April 5 2021

nuclearcat

Ari wrote:

1 - Ask them in twitter. On my experience telephone cabinet in 30 meters away doesn't mean they will connect you to it soon, they might not have free ports in DSLAM.
2 - Ask your neighbours, what they use. Keep in mind, none "unlimited" are truly unlimited, it is all overbooked bandwidth.
Assume that truly dedicated bandwidth cost cannot be cheaper than 300000LL/mbit, this days, for end-user.
Whatever is way cheaper is sort of manipulation or trickery, there is no magic possible. ISP might be losing money and you will have your "unlimited" as semi-dedicated, but this is more matter of luck and cannot be forever.

#5787 April 21 2021

DG

Asked this in the Ogero thread but perhaps I should have asked here.

Anyone having Internet problems (Internet dies as authentication goes down for 30 secs or so) every now and then for the past month or so ?

**Edit: So I am the only one with this issue ? Been happening at random times every 2 - 3 days for the past month (ever since the fuel and electricity / power problems started).

Last edited by DG (April 23 2021)

#5788 May 6 2021

RandomMemory

Major internet outage across lebanon?

#5789 July 19 2021

new_user

I have a dsl connection from sodetel and it is going down randomly. My area is supplied by the Khaldeh central. I am not sure if the issue is from my side or from sodetel or the khaldeh central. My neighbours in the same building have idm dsl and sometimes they have internet connectivity at times when mine is down. They also have some outage at other times. Any suggestions on determining the source of the problem or whether anything can be done about it? Could it be that the khaldeh central is facing electricity cuts which are the cause of the problem?

#5790 July 29 2021

new_user

new_user wrote:

I have a dsl connection from sodetel and it is going down randomly. My area is supplied by the Khaldeh central. I am not sure if the issue is from my side or from sodetel or the khaldeh central. My neighbours in the same building have idm dsl and sometimes they have internet connectivity at times when mine is down. They also have some outage at other times. Any suggestions on determining the source of the problem or whether anything can be done about it? Could it be that the khaldeh central is facing electricity cuts which are the cause of the problem?

Contacted sodetel support. They made me wait for a week to investigate then they said the outage is from khaldeh central as they have power cuts and backup generators cannot sustain power due to fuel shortage. Its weird they didn't already know that. I also don't understand why IDM users would have internet available during the time its out for sodetel users.

#5791 July 29 2021

bobo619

new_user wrote:
new_user wrote:

Contacted sodetel support. They made me wait for a week to investigate then they said the outage is from khaldeh central as they have power cuts and backup generators cannot sustain power due to fuel shortage. Its weird they didn't already know that. I also don't understand why IDM users would have internet available during the time its out for sodetel users.

Never believe what the support tells you 99% of the time they are clueless will say anything to close the call and reply in a typical way like restart the modem , plug it without filter...

#5792 July 29 2021

xazbrat

new_user wrote:
new_user wrote:

I get my internet connection through the Khaldeh exchange also, but my provider is Ogero.  I have noticed a few times my speed dropping a bit, but would go back up later.  Right now, it could be anything since everyone is running generators at random times and this could be affecting your connection.  Try to determine a pattern to it if you can and you may be able to hone in on the problem.

#5793 August 21 2021

MrClass

Hi all,

Please need your feedback regarding losing internet/phone line signal when power cuts. Do you think this is related to the building phone box? Does anyone know an experienced electrician that can inspect/resolve the issue? Area is in Tarik Al Jdeedi.

Also, we currently use Terranet ADSL. Is upgrading to FTTH straightforward? Any possible technical blockers? Will that also resolve the internet cut issues during power cut?

Appreciate any feedback

#5794 August 22 2021

omegali

any body knowledgeable about ISPs in sour? I'm trying to find an upgrade from a reseller but since we live alone in this area ogero doesn't reach here.

i used to be okay with having 300+ ping in games but since internet is now just turning off during my exams i plan to change it for the better good.

thanks for any help.

#5795 November 29 2021

AVOlio

Does anybody know a reliable ISP in Dora area, without a landline, with a stable and concurrent speed of at least 10mbps and a decent quota with a decent price.

#5796 January 5 2022

ahmad nrdn

iam really confused on what isp to choose i am currently willing to choose either mobi or idm so whats your suggestion ?

#5797 January 7 2022

yourlocalfbiagent

i have been a customer with idm for over 8 years now and while they do have some hiccups with there technical support team, the internet is overall good. I have vdsl(around 41mbps down, 10 mbps up), i live close to the centrale.i also get around 100ms ping in online games(which i hear is pretty standard for lebanon these days)

#5798 February 14 2022

anyaddress2014

is there is any news about new internet bundles and price from ogero and other providers

#5799 February 17 2022

amkahal

Guys, who is the best provider when it comes to peak time speeds?
i'm currently with THGV, they are all time perfect, but issues start one month ago, i barely get 500kbps after 7PM on a VDSL connection.
any suggestions ? what do you think about Terranet "Terra play" bundle ?

#5800 February 18 2022

GeorgeN

amkahal wrote:

Guys, who is the best provider when it comes to peak time speeds?
i'm currently with THGV, they are all time perfect, but issues start one month ago, i barely get 500kbps after 7PM on a VDSL connection.
any suggestions ? what do you think about Terranet "Terra play" bundle ?

I have this same issue as well with THGV. around 7pm --> after 11pm the internet ceases to exist unless you are on youtube, google search, or instagram. I'm not sure why for these 4 hours they only give proper bandwidth to those websites and block everything else to 250 - 500kbit. It's like everything is working properly at 7-8mbit then suddenly when the clock hits 8 pm it magically goes to 500kbit. This isn't peak time slowdown, this is just them deliberately capping everyone at 500kbit unless you are playing on youtube or instagram. I haven't tried terranet but I think i'll just move to ogero to be on the safe side.

Board footer