LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 18 2021

infiniteloop

Any owner of TCL P8 TV?

Hi
I bought the TCL 43P8 a year ago from Abed Tahan for my mountain house, it's a great TV for movies but with (PC) games not so great, input lag was ok but motion blur due to slow response time was making trails on games characters when they moved. I just noticed there should be a CMR option to reduce blur in the specs sheet but TCL website and pdf are so poor in explaining that I am asking here. Can you use CMR while using Game mode? And if yes it reduces the trails nearly completely?
As I didn't use this TV since October, was there any update that could fix it?

#2 May 18 2021

kareem_nasser

Re: Any owner of TCL P8 TV?

Generally speaking, TVs are not well suited for PCs (unlike monitors) especially to when it comes to input lag (unless we are talking certain models). Usually you should keep the TV in Game Mode (or the equivalent on the Brand, in some cases Graphics mode also does the same), this usually decreases the processing to minimum and thus no form of motion interpolation is applied.

So it is recommended you turn off CMR (seems this is the term used by TCL) as it will increase input latency for sure, even if was only backlight strobing for black frame insertion. You might benefit from BFI to reduce perceived blur only, but i dont think it is worth it.

Note: Most TV brands disable the motion interpolation setting (non BFI) completely in Game Mode.

#3 May 18 2021

infiniteloop

I have zero motion trails with my 3 years old Sony TV though it's a 120hz native panel. Perhaps this TCL is just too slow with response time ans the problem is that their models here (Android) are totally different from Europe and US which are Roku based, so I couldn't find any forum or support

#4 May 18 2021

kareem_nasser

Preliminary search suggests your model is 60hz panel. The issue you are facing is probably Response Time related.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (May 18 2021)

#5 May 18 2021

infiniteloop

So given rtings nothing really can decreases the trails, CMR is useless?

#6 May 18 2021

kareem_nasser

It will make gameplay horrible, input lag will skyrocket over 100ms easily. It will introduce a "Soap-Opera Effect" and in some cases artifacting. Again i am talking about Motion Interpolation not black frame insertion.

I own a 55xf8500, motionflow is disabled completely (greyed out) in game mode and you can only adjust "Clearness" setting which is black frame insertion.

#7 May 18 2021

infiniteloop

I think I will offer the TCL to my parents and buy a Sony 43XH750.
It has the best IQ and wider color gamut for a 4k TV under 550$ and 43"

Board footer