LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 3 2021

Guitaret

Noise canceling technology

I did find lots of POC about this online and the idea seems feasible (design wise & application) but somehow i didn't find any commercial solutions yet:
I love me some peace & quiet, and whenever I move I always get 1 noisy neighbor, how hard can it be to install a noise canceling technology on my property fence?
Microphones to detected the frequencies received and speakers to transmit opposite mechanical waves. I would love my quiet piece of space, is this too good to be true?
(Should I post this in the hardware section?)

#2 May 3 2021

rolf

Re: Noise canceling technology

Maybe you can crowdfund it.

#3 May 4 2021

Guitaret

rolf wrote:

Maybe you can crowdfund it.

Haha, perhaps in a more stable & happy country I would sum up the motivation to do so.

#4 May 5 2021

rolf

I think it will be much more challenging than noise cancelling earphones because you would have to match not only the wavelength but also the direction of the sounds. So it could work for one spot but then when you move it stops working, if you see what I mean.

Soundwaves are like the concentric circles made by a stone when you drop it in water.

I think you would have more success with some kind of soundproofing wall that bounces them back and/or absorbs them.

Last edited by rolf (May 5 2021)

#5 May 5 2021

Salloum

ANC needs isolation - hence why ANC earphones have the rubber tips and the headphones engulf your ears. Without that it will simply not work

#6 May 5 2021

Guitaret

Currently, I am on earphones or earplugs a vast majority of the time when I am at home. Yeah, I am sensitive to noise and when I am aware that the coming noise is not random (coming from a reckless person), I get more conscious and annoyed about it. But weirdly enough, I don't suffer when I am in my office in the city near a busy road. Random noise doesn't bother me no matter how loud it is.

@rolf, regarding a tech solution not being very feasible, I was hoping this shall be the cheaper solution. If I want to go soundproofing, perhaps a big green tree wall with a soundproofing fence, I am not sure how feasible this can be, as the noise is coming from slightly higher grounds. Maybe we are looking at 3.5 (or more) meters high fences which is not very feasible & pretty.

Will keep asking for more knowledge about this.

Thank you.

Board footer