LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 20 2021

Guitaret

Memory training/exercises

Wondering if any of you guys can recommend some training/exercises (apps or not) to maintain a sharp memory.

Would love to hear out your suggestions as I am worried aging is taking away some of the edges.

#2 April 20 2021

AvoK95

Re: Memory training/exercises

I've tried many ways to sharpen my memory, the very best thing you can do is get healthy and get enough quality sleep.

Without doing those 2 things, everything else would be a waste of time (IMO).

#3 April 20 2021

NuclearVision

I find that my memory is poor recently.

Going over my past, it seems that this is due to lack of will.
When i was younger, i would make effort to recall stuff.
Now, if i don't recall it, i don't care, and hence my poor memory.
This is my observation..

#4 April 20 2021

Guitaret

AvoK95 wrote:

I've tried many ways to sharpen my memory, the very best thing you can do is get healthy and get enough quality sleep.

Without doing those 2 things, everything else would be a waste of time (IMO).

Definitely a piece of golden advice.

NuclearVision wrote:

This is my observation...

I have to agree on this, I am witnessing this behavior recently in many people around me.

My explanation:
Things getting bad recently made us lose our vision for the future, and caused us an identity crisis since we don't know where to aim and how to get there.
Perhaps the survival instinct kicking in and making us less tense/aware about these difficulties by repressing our memory.
I mean you will suffer much more if you are always conscious & remembering how bad things have gotten.
Pretty scary stuff, our brain can do dark actions to make us survive.

#5 April 20 2021

AVOlio

NuclearVision wrote:

This is my observation..

This describes my situation on point.

Im the kind of absurdist person who doesn't really care about any details regarding anything.
Call it lack of will, lack of care, absurdism (there's really no point in remembering).
Some examples I can recall (after thinking hard to recall them)

I meet a new person, they give me their name, I don't really care about knowing their name just the reason why I'm interacting with them.

I meet a person that looks familiar which I haven't seen in years, but still might know / remember his name, I pretend I don't know him or his name, and tell him I don't remember you.
After doing this many many times, the pretend problem stuck and it really got hard to remember anyone I used to know.

And many other examples and experiences I can share, but they're just not coming into mind right now.

I really believe that if I continue down this road, I will have alzheimers in an early stage in my life.

#6 April 23 2021

rolf

One thing I noticed is that psychological stress (such as excessive worry) increases memory loss.
"Substance abuse" (ie drugs - including coffe and cigarette I guess) can also have a detrimental effect.

Sharp memory seems to work best in a healthy body and well rested mind.

#7 April 28 2021

Guitaret

AVOlio wrote:

I really believe that if I continue down this road, I will have alzheimers in an early stage in my life.

You won't have Alzheimers, but you will be a simpleton, someone who's filling time gaps between their daily meals. Such a petty way to live.
My advice is to change your mindset to find joy in what you are doing, and this can be done. Otherwise, build a new life where you can channel your energy into things you love doing.

rolf wrote:

One thing I noticed is that psychological stress (such as excessive worry) increases memory loss.
"Substance abuse" (ie drugs - including coffe and cigarette I guess) can also have a detrimental effect.

Loved that you added caffeine to the list of substance abuse, god knows how bad this drug is affecting our mental health.

#8 April 28 2021

xazbrat

AVOlio wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

This is my observation..

This describes my situation on point.

Im the kind of absurdist person who doesn't really care about any details regarding anything.
Call it lack of will, lack of care, absurdism (there's really no point in remembering).
Some examples I can recall (after thinking hard to recall them)

I meet a new person, they give me their name, I don't really care about knowing their name just the reason why I'm interacting with them.

I meet a person that looks familiar which I haven't seen in years, but still might know / remember his name, I pretend I don't know him or his name, and tell him I don't remember you.
After doing this many many times, the pretend problem stuck and it really got hard to remember anyone I used to know.

And many other examples and experiences I can share, but they're just not coming into mind right now.

Don't worry about the names thing too much ---some of us are terrible at names and it is due partly to how our brain works and mostly because we are lazy and don't put in the effort.  For remembering names for example, a few simple ideas are when you meet someone or are introduced, shake hands (pre-COVID) and say, nice to meet you soandso.  That sort of reinforces the name.  Additionally, try to make a picture initially out of the person associating their name with some unforgettable image.  Just say you meet someone named Pete, and he is sort of scrunched up a bit---picture him as something like a parakeet, and you should be able to remember the name a little easier next time.  Bad example, but I hope you get the idea.

I have issues with Arabic names because there are maybe a dozen names with you will run into here and I don't do a good job of differentiating them.  A big problem for me is the language barrier as I can't use the image trick to project the name, but I will find a way around it I hope.

Don't worry, all is not lost ,except for the names apparently ;P

#9 April 30 2021

NuclearVision

rolf wrote:

I have to agree,  not only memory

#10 May 3 2021

rolf

NuclearVision wrote:
rolf wrote:

I have to agree,  not only memory

God thanks, I keep misplacing my things!

Now I have to stress about how not to stress.

Board footer