LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 22 2021

Isa Al

Does the new OMT card work on Transferwise?

Hello, I have a fresh dollars card from SGBL and Transferwise doesn't accept it, so I am wondering if I make the new OMT debit card will it work on Transferwise? or all the online banks/wallets are blocked by a central bank decision for example?

#2 April 23 2021

Georges00

Re: Does the new OMT card work on Transferwise?

I think you have to try.

Last year I was in Germany and I had one of those online bank accounts that you could top up with a card. I used my SGBL card to test it and it worked. Next day, it did not. Asked someone to give them a call and apparently they blocked it since it's a money related website. I was using a "lollar" card though so not sure why they would block a fresh usd account.
On the other hand, Audi were more lenient. Their debit cards worked on that bank account. Their credit card did not but I managed to use it on Western Union.

SGBL had everything blocked. They are way more strict.

#3 April 23 2021

infiniteloop

Esurf is dead btw

#4 April 24 2021

Georges00

infiniteloop wrote:

Esurf is dead btw

Other cards linked to USD accounts are working though. Limit is $20 per month lol

#5 April 24 2021

infiniteloop

Georges00 wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

Esurf is dead btw

Other cards linked to USD accounts are working though. Limit is $20 per month lol

BoB it's 15$ :/

#6 April 25 2021

Isa Al

Georges00 wrote:

I think you have to try.

Last year I was in Germany and I had one of those online bank accounts that you could top up with a card. I used my SGBL card to test it and it worked. Next day, it did not. Asked someone to give them a call and apparently they blocked it since it's a money related website. I was using a "lollar" card though so not sure why they would block a fresh usd account.
On the other hand, Audi were more lenient. Their debit cards worked on that bank account. Their credit card did not but I managed to use it on Western Union.

SGBL had everything blocked. They are way more strict.

Do you know or recommend any other alternative that could work with Lebanese cards?

#7 April 25 2021

Isa Al

infiniteloop wrote:

Esurf is dead btw

Yes, but I can get the $20 from the LBP card. However, I am mainly using the Fresh Money card on Transferwise and it's not working.

#8 April 25 2021

Georges00

Isa Al wrote:

Do you know or recommend any other alternative that could work with Lebanese cards?

Nothing worked with SGBL. No idea about other banks. You need a Visa or foreign passport for most of those apps anyway.

#9 April 26 2021

sero

Isa Al wrote:

Hello, I have a fresh dollars card from SGBL and Transferwise doesn't accept it, so I am wondering if I make the new OMT debit card will it work on Transferwise? or all the online banks/wallets are blocked by a central bank decision for example?

Its provided by Blom bank, so no doesn't work as any card issued by a lebanese bank

Board footer