LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 17 2021

mikasa

Buying a 2014 CRV

Hello everyone,

I'm buying my mom a car, I've been searching for months and I'm really tired and i cant make my mom wait anymore , literally all what these sellers do is buy a damaged car from copart or iaai , repair it then resell it , i check the car VIN on bidfax.

Recently i came across a 2014 crv lx awd, undamaged, didn't find a record of damages just like the owner said, 100K miles, for $10700 (usually the damaged ones go for $9500).
I'll send a mechanic to inspect it tomorrow, and buy on Monday .

So what do you think folks?

Last edited by mikasa (January 13 2023)

#2 April 17 2021

Ari

Re: Buying a 2014 CRV

Cr v-s are bulletproof cars

#3 April 17 2021

Toufic

CRVs are good cars, similar to the RAV4, durable and they're good for Lebanon's roads and anyone everyday needs

But if you're paying fresh dollars, i'd try and see a company that has reprise available with similar specs.

Thing is with used cars in Lebanon, unless you know the owner of the car or on rare occasions where the seller actually has some ethics crossed with some luck, you can easily end up with several repairs in the near future once your mom starts using it over and over. I have a very bad experience with a used car and i would certainly go for something with minimal warranty from a company.

Last thing, if you know people who owned CRV or can do some checks on this exact model/trim and see online what people complained most about or had problems with, and ask your mechanic to give particular attention to. This way you can at least predict what could be on your near future repair list.

Cheers and mabrouk

#4 April 21 2021

mikasa

Ari wrote:

Cr v-s are bulletproof cars

sure they are

Toufic wrote:

CRVs are good cars, similar to the RAV4, durable and they're good for Lebanon's roads and anyone everyday needs

yep especially the crv 2014 , i was surprised when i checked nhtsa and found 0 recalls for it , while rav4 and previous crv models have many

Toufic wrote:

Last thing, if you know people who owned CRV or can do some checks on this exact model/trim and see online what people complained most about or had problems with, and ask your mechanic to give particular attention to. This way you can at least predict what could be on your near future repair list.

watched/read tons of videos about common crv reliability issues and made sure to check everything before buying.

#5 April 22 2021

AvoK95

Never check online reliability scores for cars. Go to a few mechanic shops and ask for reliability issues. There are a lot of minor and major things that are always omitted from the internet due to the lack of car knowledge and/or regional environmental differences affecting specific parts differently.

The 1st and 2nd gen CR-V had common differential failure issues that would cost you an $80 replacement. My prediction is due to the lack of fluid change or using the wrong fluid.

#6 April 25 2021

Salloum

Used cars are not really my cup of tea, so probably not the best person to give advice, but I wouldn't buy a car that already has 160,000 km, no matter how reliable it is.

#7 April 26 2021

sero

used cars bought from the US  either:
1- Had an accident: Its cheaper for an insurance company to sell the car than fix it
2- Has a high mileage: Insurance companies get rid of the car because they expect a lot of mechanical failures coming due to heavy usage

I would buy a car that had an accident with low mileage instead of a high mileage one.
Search or ask the dealer to send you the accident pictures (they have it when they bought the car from auction). If the accident is not that severe (on the side or back of the car) then just make sure the mechanic inspects the crash place  and see if its fixed well.
If the crash is severe (like a totally ruined front) or the car is flooded, stay away from the car and look for something else

Last edited by sero (April 26 2021)

Board footer