LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 11 2021

user

[mini project] solar power for internet router only

Hello,
So in Lebanon apparently the electricity situation is not great, some of my friends who live in remote villages are spending the vast majority of the day without electricity and are bored to death. I was wondering about buying them a 50 watt solar panel with a small inverter(do I need an inverter?) to power their internet router.
Routers are typically 12 volts and 1 amps, so need maybe 12 watts. A 50 watt panel should have enough(hopefully even on a cloudy day but I am not holding my breath) but do I need an inverter if the router needs a continuous current? How do I control the voltage myself in that case? Would it harm the router to be connected to a panel without a battery?(frequent power outage and unstable wattage). Do you think it is generally a good idea to do this?

Thank you.

#2 April 11 2021

DNA

Re: [mini project] solar power for internet router only

Yea you need a battery and a charge controller in most cases no need for an inverter

#3 April 11 2021

user

DNA wrote:

Yea you need a battery and a charge controller in most cases no need for an inverter

That's a shame, I was hoping I can keep it light with no battery. Thanks for the answer.

Last edited by user (April 11 2021)

#4 April 11 2021

DNA

user wrote:
DNA wrote:

That's a shame, I was hoping I can keep it light with no battery. Thanks for the answer.

look technically you can if you have a sunny day and the voltage of the solar panel stays fairly stable and within couple percent of the router's rating as the router have a built in regulator, but in real world application solar panels voltage will be all over the place and it is a very bad idea to hook it to electronics directly at least you need a simple voltage regulator hooked to it as to keep voltage stable, but without a battery your router may reboot after every passing cloud if panel can't provide enough current for voltage regulator to do its work

a simple 10 to 20$ 12v charge controller with  cheap 12v battery will do the job.

#5 April 12 2021

user

It's not the cost that makes me hesitate. It's just that I would be putting this in the living room, I didn't want wires all over the place and a car battery... I thought one solar panel and some sort of regulator device would look clean and simple and do the job.

#6 April 12 2021

Ari

you can get small 12 volt UPS batteries, they're fairly small and inexpensive

#7 April 12 2021

xazbrat

user wrote:

It's not the cost that makes me hesitate. It's just that I would be putting this in the living room, I didn't want wires all over the place and a car battery... I thought one solar panel and some sort of regulator device would look clean and simple and do the job.

You don't need to put this in the living room---you just need to get the electrical outlets there.  Install the system wherever you want and get some wires and put some outlets as discreetly as you can in the living room and wherever else you would like to use the power.   Also, if you can let the battery(s) charge from the grid, it would be a useful addition as you would be able to keep the battery(s) charging so you can use the system for longer times.

#8 April 12 2021

beezer

You can use those tiny UPS batteries. Straight DC to DC connection will last you hours.

Without a battery they'll have no uptime after sunset.

#9 April 12 2021

DNA

user wrote:

As the guys here mentioned you need a small battery and the controller is no larger than the router
and u can even go wil Li-ion batteries with tiny controllers, if money ain't an issue  it is easy and barely needs anybspace

#10 April 12 2021

user

small UPS batteries, yes I remember how big these are, they are small and cute. Thanks yes I might consider that. It would be interesting.
This morning I learned that the telephone cables in our village were all stolen(cut up in 3 separate areas, yeah no one will fix that), so there is no more need to power any dsl routers unfortunatly...
Might revisit this if they allow tesla's starlink in Lebanon. Just when you think things can't be any worse...

Last edited by user (April 12 2021)

#11 April 13 2021

yasamoka

user wrote:

small UPS batteries, yes I remember how big these are, they are small and cute. Thanks yes I might consider that. It would be interesting.
This morning I learned that the telephone cables in our village were all stolen(cut up in 3 separate areas, yeah no one will fix that), so there is no more need to power any dsl routers unfortunatly...
Might revisit this if they allow tesla's starlink in Lebanon. Just when you think things can't be any worse...

They won't allow Starlink. It goes against the monopoly.

Board footer