LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 February 23 2021

nuclearcat

Re: Feedback for 4G LTE

Ask Ogero/Kreidieh in twitter publicly?

#127 February 23 2021

leburu

nuclearcat wrote:

In my post I said that I already did that many times. And he’s not replying to my tweets.

#128 February 24 2021

Idler

leburu wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

In my post I said that I already did that many times. And he’s not replying to my tweets.

ask the thieve to come back and steal the tower since it became useless

#129 February 24 2021

leburu

Idler wrote:
leburu wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

ask the thieve to come back and steal the tower since it became useless

Jokes aside, let's keep this post relevant.

#130 February 24 2021

beezer

Man, I feel your pain. I'm in the same situation, except that the tower goes down completely. The backups only work for 6 hours and if the power is off for 10hrs then we have no internet for the remaining 4hrs.

It's bad, there's an MTC tower that got its batteries stolen as well and then the thieves came back and stole the generator batteries.

If Ogero, Alfa, and MTC can't arrest these criminals then who can? They won't dare install batteries anymore since it's a huge risk. I've spoken to the MTC guys that service the tower myself and their tower now goes offline for 3 minutes when the power cuts out.

Dunno what to tell you but it's not looking good. Have you tried getting a longer SMA antenna so it always catches the other cellid?

#131 February 24 2021

nuclearcat

This is a typical mistake of dealing with large faceless companies (big telco).
If this is a local ISP, he will establish contacts with nearby residents or an mayor in the village, hook them to the alarm and when the alarm is triggered, locals will come and add some lead content to the organisms of thieves.

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 24 2021)

#132 February 24 2021

leburu

beezer wrote:

Man, I feel your pain. I'm in the same situation, except that the tower goes down completely. The backups only work for 6 hours and if the power is off for 10hrs then we have no internet for the remaining 4hrs.

It's bad, there's an MTC tower that got its batteries stolen as well and then the thieves came back and stole the generator batteries.

If Ogero, Alfa, and MTC can't arrest these criminals then who can? They won't dare install batteries anymore since it's a huge risk. I've spoken to the MTC guys that service the tower myself and their tower now goes offline for 3 minutes when the power cuts out.

Dunno what to tell you but it's not looking good. Have you tried getting a longer SMA antenna so it always catches the other cellid?

This is disgusting man, I don’t know what to say more. Obviously your case is worse than mine. And you made a good point, I also think that they won’t dare do such expensive maintenance in the foreseeable future. There is no workaround that I can think of for your case nor for mine. Nevertheless, our voices should be heard until we get definitive answers, it’s our right and the least we can get.

I saw on OLX last month two external LTE antennas for around 25$ but I ended up not buying one because I felt they are low quality ones. So yeah...

Last edited by leburu (February 24 2021)

#133 February 24 2021

leburu

nuclearcat wrote:

If this is a local ISP, he will establish contacts with nearby residents or an mayor in the village, hook them to the alarm and when the alarm is triggered, locals will come and add some lead content to the organisms of thieves.

The Ogero LTE microwave machines are installed on a high tower that already has alfa and mtc ones. The land is owned by the ‘Wa2ef’ and the tower has been built in the early 2000s even before ADSL was introduced in the country. (Actually the Wakef and municipality sent multiple letters to Ogero before they even installed the LTE microwaves asking for the removal of the tower because it is in a historic site next to an old roman church, but they never got a reply because if they did I believe keno rabba7ouwon jmile eno mrakbinlkon 4G internet bel day3a).

But anyway, I always walk past the tower and on the bottom where there are machines and cables everywhere, everything is exposed with no fences whatsoever, anyone can steal or even turn off the electricity lol. There is even a big square block of concrete that god knows what exposes (fiber cables? maybe batteries?) that is not enclosed at all and can be lifted by one person if you are strong enough.

Last edited by leburu (February 24 2021)

#134 February 25 2021

nuclearcat

leburu wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

The Ogero LTE microwave machines are installed on a high tower that already has alfa and mtc ones. The land is owned by the ‘Wa2ef’ and the tower has been built in the early 2000s even before ADSL was introduced in the country. (Actually the Wakef and municipality sent multiple letters to Ogero before they even installed the LTE microwaves asking for the removal of the tower because it is in a historic site next to an old roman church, but they never got a reply because if they did I believe keno rabba7ouwon jmile eno mrakbinlkon 4G internet bel day3a).

But anyway, I always walk past the tower and on the bottom where there are machines and cables everywhere, everything is exposed with no fences whatsoever, anyone can steal or even turn off the electricity lol. There is even a big square block of concrete that god knows what exposes (fiber cables? maybe batteries?) that is not enclosed at all and can be lifted by one person if you are strong enough.

It's just disappointing and very sad.
Say straight that you are lending a helping hand, but if no one answers, you are forced to go on the offensive.
The offensive is to photograph the mess and lack of any security for state-owned equipment, and it will be very unpleasant when these photos are published by news with backing story, and they will contrast with the staged photos that Ogero is publishing. There is many "parties" who are thirsty for such stuff, but i really wish to avoid such confrontation and to find some peaceful solution.
And i still hope that there are completely different reasons for this disorder, and it is not "staged vs reality".

Another option is to gather all potential users and ask sane private operators to come to your village. Probably the prices will be higher and the Internet will be slower - but more stable.

And in general, I think it is necessary to draw attention to negligence in government and private sector, it is responsibility of each citizen, Lebanon can no longer afford to squander money to replace damaged equipment, because of the laziness of ordinary employees who install this equipment.

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 25 2021)

#135 April 5 2021

NuclearVision

Hey guys, my family and I are all touch users.
I am looking into buying an alfa line, i have a few large files to download and alfa has this 2hours unlimited offer for 5 alfa dollars.
Does anybody know what speeds does alfa 4g achieve?
I am located in chouf area.

Thanks

#136 April 5 2021

xazbrat

NuclearVision wrote:

I am looking into buying an alfa line, i have a few large files to download and alfa has this 2hours unlimited offer for 5 alfa dollars.

Thanks

Not in Chouf, but I am outside Beirut and get speeds of 100 mb + on my phone, although this seems limited to 30 mb or so when I use my phone as a hotspot (probably because of bt 4.2 on my laptop)  and others in beirut have reported speeds of 250 mb  If you have access to an alfa phone, see if LTE+ or 4g+ pops up.  If so, you should be getting pretty decent speeds.

#137 April 5 2021

NuclearVision

thanks xazbrat.
I may tether using usb.
Is this variable in different times during the day?
Do you know when is the best time to download?

I have no alfa phone and literally the only person i know with alfa line lives 40km away. 43

#138 April 6 2021

xazbrat

NuclearVision wrote:

thanks xazbrat.
I may tether using usb.

I have no alfa phone and literally the only person i know with alfa line lives 40km away. 43

I tested it last night just after I posted here with a USB tether, aka my charging cable, and got this https://www.speedtest.net/result/11215153790.png about 10 pm our time.  This was the fastest I had tested as I would only get up into the 80's during the day.  As for your situation, it is tricky in the mountains as coverage can vary in different parts of a house.   You don't have much to lose tbh---for 8000LL or 70 cents in todays currency for 2 hours unlimited is a pretty decent deal.  Just be wary, if you have any other money on the line, the downloads will not stop and you can go through the other funds on the account.  There are some posts on this thread detailing that.

#139 April 6 2021

beezer

So the criminals came back and stole the batteries from 2 power generators on the MTC towers. The MTC guys came and installed new ones, but nothing else happened. Criminals are still on the loose.

#140 April 6 2021

NuclearVision

xazbrat wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

thanks xazbrat.
I may tether using usb.

I tested it last night just after I posted here with a USB tether, aka my charging cable, and got this https://www.speedtest.net/result/11215153790.png about 10 pm our time.  This was the fastest I had tested as I would only get up into the 80's during the day.  As for your situation, it is tricky in the mountains as coverage can vary in different parts of a house.   You don't have much to lose tbh---for 8000LL or 70 cents in todays currency for 2 hours unlimited is a pretty decent deal.  Just be wary, if you have any other money on the line, the downloads will not stop and you can go through the other funds on the account.  There are some posts on this thread detailing that.

i got my self an alfa line,
activated the service, did a speedtest on the balcony, got 60mbps, torrents however max at 300kb/s
Steam downloads at 3mb/s.

#141 April 7 2021

mikasa

NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks

4g with the normal alfa data plans i get 120mbps , but whenever i subscribe to the data booster plan , the mobile network switch to 3g and i only get like 20 mbps. I needed to download big file sizes ASAP so i recharged $100 credits and tried to subscribe to the 100Gb plan , but i couldn't since i was already subscribed to the 500 MB plan , and i need to wait for  the service to expire first. nba3aset

#142 April 7 2021

nosense

mikasa wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks

4g with the normal alfa data plans i get 120mbps , but whenever i subscribe to the data booster plan , the mobile network switch to 3g and i only get like 20 mbps. I needed to download big file sizes ASAP so i recharged $100 credits and tried to subscribe to the 100Gb plan , but i couldn't since i was already subscribed to the 500 MB plan , and i need to wait for  the service to expire first. nba3aset

you don't have to wait for the service to expire, just use the 500MB plan then subscribe to another one when the quota limit reaches.

#143 April 7 2021

NuclearVision

Conclusion: I did like 40gigs for 10$.
Its ok, I wanted to get more, but i won't move my pc to the balcony.

Last edited by NuclearVision (June 3 2021)

#144 June 3 2021

NuclearVision

Something weird happened today!
I activated the alfa booster 5$, i used it fir 2 hours as usual, then they sent me a.message that it expired.
I wanted to reactivate it, but i can't , it still shows as active  even 4.hours from activation and i can't unsubsribe from the service through the app.
Anything similar happened to you ?
Now its stuck...

#145 June 3 2021

Adnan

I tried to recharge 500MB on a Mobile Broadband line and I was receiving a failure saying that I am already subscribed to a plan (even though I am not). I called 111 and they couldn't resolve it and opened a ticket. I'm waiting 24 hours now.

#146 June 3 2021

NuclearVision

so its not just me after all.
How incovenient this is... They should have technical support on standby, not in the background waiting for tickets the next day.
I had a plan today and this fucked it up, how frustrating

edit: they were also having trouble on  the website which wasn't loading properly.
I hope this is not something related to the current electricity issue.

Last edited by NuclearVision (June 3 2021)

#147 June 4 2021

Adnan

تمسحنا

They just sent me an SMS, it's finally resolved.

#148 June 4 2021

NuclearVision

i just called them, my issue is not yet resolved. I am genuinely fed up  with all of this!

#149 July 14 2021

neonsun

Hi all , thank you for reading this 1st of all.
My new house is not covered by ogero land lines and therefore dsl is not available to me.
I have looked into residential 4g and i find a large difference in pricing between alfa/mtc and other network providers (IDM )
Which do you recommend ? What are the pitfalls i should be worried about ?

To note my house has the same reception for touch or alfa .

Thanks in advance

Last edited by neonsun (July 14 2021)

#150 July 14 2021

sero

Are you sure there is a price diff between them? Last time i checked they all had 100G for 150,000 lbp.

Anyway i have 4G subscription from IDM. IDM's plan is a router and touch sim that you insert in the router to give 4G.  I went with IDM instead of Touch because at that time Touch didn't have routers (only the small ones that connects few devices)

Connection is good.
However i noticed that mobile connection is faster for some reason. To give you more details, i have a touch sim card on my phone. If i turn hotspot on and connect my laptop to it, i get a faster connection than if i connect to the router. its weird because both use a touch sim card.

Board footer