LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 31 2021

xazbrat

mini dc ups but 19v

Anyone know where to find a 19v edition of this.  I want to get an Asus modem router and this is the only thing holding me back.  With the increased blackouts, the regular UPS won't cut it and it wouldn't last more than an hour anyway.

#2 March 31 2021

wollyka

Re: mini dc ups but 19v

Well I didn't find one for my Asus router (that is plugged to the DSL modem in bridge mode).  What I did is to enable the Wi-Fi capabilities of my modem and I am using the ups to power-up the modem only. During blackout, I switch from my regular router to the weak modem Wi-Fi (but at least I have internet)

#3 March 31 2021

AvoK95

Just get a normal UPS with an electric plug.

Pros:

-You won't be limited in router selection or any low powered appliance
- It will last much longer
- You will save your device from power surges
- Easier to find and replace battery 
Cons:
- Uses more space

Pros outweighing the cons

#4 April 1 2021

wollyka

You should add more noise as Cons too (good normal UPS have fans that spin in backup mode)

But overall if you have the space and $, it will be a good option

#5 April 1 2021

DNA

AvoK95 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
- Uses more space

Noway a regular UPS is better for this, without entering into technical details as to why, but i wanna tell u from experience i have a 12v one and it has been powering my router since 3 years it lasts like 5 hours maybe more and at one point i had it power 2 routers and still lasted 3+ hours

#6 April 1 2021

xazbrat

I have a normal UPS and then got one of the 9/12v ones and it has worked flawlessly on my modem/router---it easily gets 6 hours and as a bonus when the power is out, my internet speed jumps from 4 mb to 6.5 mb, which is nice for downloads.  It makes no noise (can't disable the sound on my UPS) and was hoping that there was a 19v option somewhere. 

Edit:  saw this at katranji.  I wonder if it would work.

Last edited by xazbrat (April 1 2021)

#7 April 1 2021

nuclearcat

DIY
Hook step-up converter to normal DC UPS.

#8 April 1 2021

AvoK95

wollyka wrote:

You should add more noise as Cons too (good normal UPS have fans that spin in backup mode)

But overall if you have the space and $, it will be a good option

Good point, I usually pop the speaker out the second I get the UPS.

If you get the cheapest UPS with the smallest rating, I don't think they would come with fans. I got a few APC units that don't have fans.

DNA wrote:

Noway a regular UPS is better for this, without entering into technical details as to why, but i wanna tell u from experience i have a 12v one and it has been powering my router since 3 years it lasts like 5 hours maybe more and at one point i had it power 2 routers and still lasted 3+ hours

That's pretty cool! I don't have the same experience at my end. Mine lasted around a year and a half, I just didn't want to look for a new battery, and at the time I had 2 devices (Modem+Router) and then added a new handy phone. Thus I decided to go back to a regular UPS.

#9 April 2 2021

beezer

If you find one let me know.

#10 April 2 2021

NuclearVision

mini ups for router is the best, most important gadget i bought in my life.
It simply makes your life easier.
Get one even if you have to overspend.

#11 April 2 2021

DNA

nuclearcat wrote:

DIY
Hook step-up converter to normal DC UPS.

Good idea if he us comfortable doin it

@Xazbrat if you've got a multimeter to set the voltage there are lots of dc/dc converters at katranji some as cheap as 40000 for 20watts if your router is rated for <than 1 amp at 19v (which probably at this voltage). make sure u get one labeled UP on their website ( boost not buck).

Last edited by DNA (April 3 2021)

#12 April 2 2021

Tech Guru

DNA wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
- Uses more space

Your mini UPS brand / series please. Any local purchase link is highly appreciated.

#13 April 3 2021

DNA

Tech Guru wrote:

Your mini UPS brand / series please. Any local purchase link is highly appreciated.

The model i have is Power-link PLP1, it served me pretty well battery is still good after several years, bought it from ayoubcomputers, it is not available anymore but the one they have now is exactly the same shape but different color and brand i am not sure if it is as good though

Board footer