LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 25 2020

leblinux

ISP recommendation in Dohat Aramoun area

Dears,
Anyone living in Dohat Aramoun could suggest a good and reliable internet provider (non-DSL)?
I will leave Ogero for good because of the Elevator issue.

#2 November 25 2020

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

Re: ISP recommendation in Dohat Aramoun area

AHN (near scholars bookstore, and blom bank) they have 2 till 12 Megabits.
currently on 6 Mbps it used to be better before this huge demand now i get during the day with them 2Mbps and from 2 am till 8 am I get the actual 6 Mbps it costs 50 thou a month but like every other provider its cached so don't expect miracles unless its at night. they have FUP i think its either 8 or 10gb a day for the 6Mbps and the night is free. I got the 10 Mbps card today so I can renew tomorrow as 2Mbps during the day is not enough for me at least and it costed 90 thou (keep in mind before the economic collapse they used to sell the 6 Mbps for 90 thou and i used to get during the day 4-5 and at night 10 so i expect the 10 now to be the same as that since its the same price and 2 tiers above the 6 after they reduced the prices)

Edit: also their ping to EU servers is 60 compared to 80 on ogero which is good for gaming unless someone else is using the net simultaneously. And if you can wait a couple of days I'll update you on the 10 Mbps package

I have both in my house AHN and Ogero, the good thing about Ogero is that it's not cached but the speed is slow ( we were promised fiber in Q4 2019 then delayed to Q4 2020 and now they say its out of our hands due to corona and economy) if you have several people using the net for e-learning i suggest you keep both

Last edited by TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge (November 25 2020)

#3 November 25 2020

Beta0

Get the cheapest slow wireless internet you can find, keep Ogero, combine using openmptcprouter. If you're doing global competitive FPS there will be around 10 ms jitter only for one second each time Ogero disconnects. Result: high speed internet + uptime not to mention the complete lack of packet loss. Most wireless providers actually have lower pings or equal. You will also get less pathetic upload speed for social media uploads or streaming and static public IP as a bonus.

Last edited by Beta0 (November 25 2020)

#4 November 25 2020

wollyka

Beta0 wrote:

Get the cheapest slow wireless internet you can find, keep Ogero, combine using openmptcprouter. If you're doing global competitive FPS there will be around 10 ms jitter only for one second each time Ogero disconnects. Result: high speed internet + uptime not to mention the complete lack of packet loss. Most wireless providers actually have lower pings or equal. You will also get less pathetic upload speed for social media uploads or streaming and static public IP as a bonus.

openmptcprouter looks great but it needs VPS.
So basically, you need a dollar card that is still accepted or a fresh money account in order to subscribe to a VPS outside. Unless you use a local ISP providing an VPS. Am I right?

#5 November 25 2020

bobo619

Just get a Load balancer the downtime is less then 10 seconds for me when Dsl is down and there is a switch. Just don't use the second isp as failover rather load balancing mode. NB: Asus routers have dual wan settings

#6 November 25 2020

leblinux

Thank you guys for your suggestions, I appreciate your help.

#7 November 25 2020

Beta0

bobo619 wrote:

Just get a Load balancer the downtime is less then 10 seconds for me when Dsl is down and there is a switch. Just don't use the second isp as failover rather load balancing mode. NB: Asus routers have dual wan settings

Well, If you don't game or do video/voice conferencing, sure.
To add, I wouldn't use a LB with a bank site or embassy, they don't like changing IPs in the middle of the session, even dynamic content (Js) such as Reddit while scrolling stops, I had to use mobile data.

#8 November 25 2020

Beta0

wollyka wrote:
Beta0 wrote:

openmptcprouter looks great but it needs VPS.
So basically, you need a dollar card that is still accepted or a fresh money account in order to subscribe to a VPS outside. Unless you use a local ISP providing an VPS. Am I right?

Not sure, Vultr 3.50 USD plan works great with my BBAC dollar card. The card is limited to an absurd of 11 USD / mo though..
Using Paris for location gives you 4-8 ms extra in latency, not latency to google as that is cached over ISP's GSS/akamai over IXP, ping any server other than google and cloudflare and you will get 20ms higher on Ogero, the VPS will add 8. Averaging 65 ms in CSGO.
Edit: To add, you need to enable MPTCP over VPN checkbox, as Ogero seems to be doing double NAT before last mile.Terranet, IDM and other's do not seem to filter MPTCP, including mobile and even coffee shops, go figure.

#9 March 31 2021

new_user

Did DSL speeds in some areas in Dohat Aramoun increase? If I am not mistaken they did an upgrade to the Khaldeh central a while back so I was wondering what impact did this have.

#10 March 31 2021

Moudimadi

new_user wrote:

Did DSL speeds in some areas in Dohat Aramoun increase? If I am not mistaken they did an upgrade to the Khaldeh central a while back so I was wondering what impact did this have.

Hello, i used to have adsl from ogero. I live in Dohat Aramoun. I was getting 13 to 14 mbit speed download and 1 mbit upload. I have Vdsl now but im having the same speed that i used to get on adsl. but it's always opening between 13 and 14 mbit. Ogero told me when they install fiber to the cabinet the speed will increase on Vdsl.

Board footer