LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 26 2021

momar

Buying a car from copart and shipping to Lebanon

Hello,

I am planning to buy a car in lebanon, but after doing some research, I concluded that ordering a card from copart may save me 2 or 3 k $ +

I ll appreciate if you have any story, experience you can share it, as well as some contacts that may help!

#2 March 26 2021

sero

Re: Buying a car from copart and shipping to Lebanon

I bought my car from Copart in 2017, I will never buy again a car from a Lebanese dealer (unless its new or extremely la2ta).

So why Copart instead of Lebanese dealers?
1- You save money. I saved around 3k$ on my car compared to what it was being sold in Leb
2- You know how severely is the car damaged, as you can see the pics and not only a carfax. Leb dealers will often lie and always tell you the car mafi 2andaf menna.
3- You fix the car with the best quality replacements (original parts, good paint....). Dealers will just find the cheapest way to fix the car

Requirements, budget:
1- First you need to know what car you're going to buy. You search copart, join auctions and see how much are they being sold for (you can only see the selling price in the auction). The purpose is so you know if the car you have your eyes on is within your budget.
2- You add jemrok (around 40% of the car's price) paid in lbp at 1,500
3- You add shipping fees (around 1,500$)
4- You estimate car fixing fees, depends on the car model, year, severity of the damage....
5- other fees like port fees, registration.....

Procedure:
1- It would be difficult for you to open a Copart account (you need a registered car business) and you need to be familiar with processes (Mo3amalet like shipping/jemrok..). So i recommend you work with an Agent (Back then they usually took 500$ as fees, not sure about now, but it was worth it).
2- You regularly search Copart for the car you have in mind
3- Once you find the car that you'll willing to buy you tell the agent about it and set your budget (car price excluding shipping/jemrok...)
4- when the auction starts, the agent will join the auction start bidding without exceeding your budget
5- If you're the highest bidder, the car is yours now. It will be shipped within a few days
6- The car should arrive to Beirut port around 1.5 months later
7- The agent will send someone to finish port papers (jemrok, port fees,...)
8- You can now take the car and fix its damage (my agent already had  a garage so he did it)
9- You register the car
10- mabrouk

Downside of Copart vs a Lebanese dealer:
1- the wait is long, around 2 months for the whole procedure.
2- fees are variables. You can't exactly know the jemrok and car fixing fees - the agent will highly help you with the estimate.
3- you need to be patient and wait for a good opportunity (a car with minimal damage that you can get for a good price)

Last edited by sero (March 26 2021)

#3 March 26 2021

TheIlluminative

momar wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to buy a car in lebanon, but after doing some research, I concluded that ordering a card from cooart may save me 2 or 3 k $ +

I ll appreciate if you have any story, experience you can share it, as well as some contacts that may help!

But for now it's much cheaper buying a car locally. If you have $ you will get a big discount. Check OLX and you will see huge drops in prices.

Good luck!

#4 March 26 2021

momar

sero wrote:

I bought my car from Copart in 2017, I will never buy again a car from a Lebanese dealer (unless its new or extremely la2ta).

So why Copart instead of Lebanese dealers?
1- You save money. I saved around 3k$ on my car compared to what it was being sold in Leb
2- You know how severely is the car damaged, as you can see the pics and not only a carfax. Leb dealers will often lie and always tell you the car mafi 2andaf menna.
3- You fix the car with the best quality replacements (original parts, good paint....). Dealers will just find the cheapest way to fix the car

Requirements, budget:
1- First you need to know what car you're going to buy. You search copart, join auctions and see how much are they being sold for (you can only see the selling price in the auction). The purpose is so you know if the car you have your eyes on is within your budget.
2- You add jemrok (around 40% of the car's price) paid in lbp at 1,500
3- You add shipping fees (around 1,500$)
4- You estimate car fixing fees, depends on the car model, year, severity of the damage....
5- other fees like port fees, registration.....

Procedure:
1- It would be difficult for you to open a Copart account (you need a registered car business) and you need to be familiar with processes (Mo3amalet like shipping/jemrok..). So i recommend you work with an Agent (Back then they usually took 500$ as fees, not sure about now, but it was worth it).
2- You regularly search Copart for the car you have in mind
3- Once you find the car that you'll willing to buy you tell the agent about it and set your budget (car price excluding shipping/jemrok...)
4- when the auction starts, the agent will join the auction start bidding without exceeding your budget
5- If you're the highest bidder, the car is yours now. It will be shipped within a few days
6- The car should arrive to Beirut port around 1.5 months later
7- The agent will send someone to finish port papers (jemrok, port fees,...)
8- You can now take the car and fix its damage (my agent already had  a garage so he did it)
9- You register the car
10- mabrouk

Downside of Copart vs a Lebanese dealer:
1- the wait is long, around 2 months for the whole procedure.
2- fees are variables. You can't exactly know the jemrok and car fixing fees - the agent will highly help you with the estimate.
3- you need to be patient and wait for a good opportunity (a car with minimal damage that you can get for a good price)

Can you Recommend an Agent i can trust and work with him?

#5 March 26 2021

momar

TheIlluminative wrote:
momar wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to buy a car in lebanon, but after doing some research, I concluded that ordering a card from cooart may save me 2 or 3 k $ +

But for now it's much cheaper buying a car locally. If you have $ you will get a big discount. Check OLX and you will see huge drops in prices.

Good luck!

Not really, i started my search months ago.

You will get for 5k $ a car model before 2005 or 2006
And then add an extra 1k for each extra year ( 2007 ->7k ; 2014 -> 14 l)

on copart you can pay around 8 - 10 k for a 2014 make

#6 March 27 2021

NuclearVision

Nice topic.
But could you always trust someone overseas without actually inspecting the car?
i mean, even with local sellers where you can inspect the car, you will get screwed, how about remore buying?..

Board footer