LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 May 13 2018

NuclearVision

Re: PayPal Lebanon

You might encounter the new payment system as soon as the second half of 2018, when the e-commerce giant deploys it (on a small scale) in North America. Its availability will expand in 2019 and the year after, until all sellers have been transitioned to the new system by 2021. eBay has an existing contract to continue offering PayPal as a payment option until July 2023, but neither company has announced if they have plans to extend that partnership beyond that point.

According to the auction site's announcement, offering its own intermediate payment system will allow it to build a central console where sellers can track all their transactions easily. Plus, it'll lower the payment processing charges sellers have to pay. Even with the lower charges, Recode says the move will boost eBay's revenue by $2 billion, since it can now pocket those payment processing fees. At the moment, PayPal's value is billions more than eBay -- its shares fell after news of eBay's decision was announced, but it remains to be seen if it will have a huge and permanent effect on the payment portal's business.

Seems like paypal is losing here.

Last edited by NuclearVision (May 13 2018)

#27 May 14 2018

ap4ss3rby

mohammadk97 wrote:

Fun fact, Paypal was created by Elon Musk in 2000 and later acquired by ebay in 2002 until 2014.

Though he was technically a founder, PayPal was actually an asset of Confinity, then a meger between Elon's X.com and Confinity lead to a larger X.com which was later called PayPal which was later acquired by eBay.

#28 July 10 2018

Mhdskr

Kareem wrote:
Mhdskr wrote:
Louis40 wrote:

Even if you apply for an Amex card from outside of Lebanon, if the shipping and billing addresses do not match especially if you put the lebanese address for shipping, they will ban you.. i have tried this. However, if you contact the seller and agree to ship it to you to Lebanon, it may work depending on the seller's decision.

We're talking about getting a PayPal account. No shipping and billing address yet. If you're referring about eBay then that's a problem for another day.

I have an Amex Gold CC and I have paypal since 2 years although I rarely use it but it worked couple of times.

Few days ago, I ordered something on newegg and my trasaction was declined, my account was suspended and my Paypal account is permanently limited now.

Shipping was to California... not sure what's going on here but Amex cards are no longer working.

Quoting :

Dear Karim,

It appears that you currently reside in a country that we don't offer service in at this time. Establishing our service in each new country involves complex changes due to different regulations in each of these countries. We're working hard to expand our services as rapidly as possible.

Due to this, we'd like to begin parting ways in a manner that is least disruptive to your business.

You may use the remaining account balance to provide refunds to your buyers if necessary.

Due to the potential risk of chargebacks and other reversals, the money in your PayPal account balance will be held for 180 days from the date the limitation was originally placed on the account. After 180 days, you will be notified by email with information on how to collect your remaining money. 

Unfortunately, there are no further appeals being allowed on your account.

A couple of weeks ago I came across something that made me try to give it another shot at linking my AMEX to PayPal again and to my surprise it worked! I made a few purchases from Ebay and Walmart and everything went smoothly. So, I thought I should let you guys know.

#29 July 11 2018

chosen2k

Mhdskr wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I came across something that made me try to give it another shot at linking my AMEX to PayPal again and to my surprise it worked! I made a few purchases from Ebay and Walmart and everything went smoothly. So, I thought I should let you guys know.

Thanks for the info
What did you use as country && address in the Paypal account?

Last edited by chosen2k (July 11 2018)

#30 July 11 2018

Mhdskr

chosen2k wrote:
Mhdskr wrote:

Thanks for the info

I signed up for PayPal Bahrain since AMEX is issued from there. as for the address I just use my US shipping address. 
make sure to verify/confirm you card after adding it.

Last edited by Mhdskr (July 11 2018)

#31 July 12 2018

Kareem

Mhdskr wrote:
chosen2k wrote:
Mhdskr wrote:

Thanks for the info

I signed up for PayPal Bahrain since AMEX is issued from there. as for the address I just use my US shipping address. 
make sure to verify/confirm you card after adding it.

As mentioned in another thread, they will suspend your account eventually; happened to me and all my friends as well. We all have Amex cards.

Dear Karim ,

It appears that you currently reside in a country that we don't offer service in at this time. Establishing our service in each new country involves complex changes due to different regulations in each of these countries. We're working hard to expand our services as rapidly as possible.

Due to this, we'd like to begin parting ways in a manner that is least disruptive to your business.

You may use the remaining account balance to provide refunds to your buyers if necessary.

Due to the potential risk of chargebacks and other reversals, the money in your PayPal account balance will be held for 180 days from the date the limitation was originally placed on the account. After 180 days, you will be notified by email with information on how to collect your remaining money. 

Unfortunately, there are no further appeals being allowed on your account.
Money in your PayPal account will be held for 180 days. After 180 days, we'll email you information on how to receive your money.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Any bank or credit card information on your PayPal account can no longer be removed. Your personally identifiable information will not be used by us nor shared with third parties, except to assist law enforcement as required by law. As an additional safety precaution, the financial details registered on your account cannot be used on any future PayPal account.
Yours sincerely,
Audrey
PayPal Account Review Department

#32 March 8 2021

VipModz

I recently applied to https://paypallebanon.net/, haven't received a confirmation email yet.

#33 March 8 2021

nuclearcat

mohammadk97 wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Ebay will be moving away from paypal (even though they created it) and move to a dutch processing company called Adyen.  I think there is a better shot that this gets approved in Lebanon than paypal ever had since this company also facilitates payments for netflix and Uber.

So if you can wait a bit, ebay may be available here.

Fun fact, Paypal was created by Elon Musk in 2000 and later acquired by ebay in 2002 until 2014.

It is a myth, Musk ventures are very dark in depth, if you look closer, and he did not created it.
Check whole story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-FGwDDc-s8

#34 March 9 2021

Madslm

VipModz wrote:

I recently applied to https://paypallebanon.net/, haven't received a confirmation email yet.

and you won't get one, they just stole your credit card info. talking from experience.

#35 March 9 2021

NuclearVision

why would you give anyone your card info?

#36 March 9 2021

VipModz

Madslm wrote:
VipModz wrote:

and you won't get one, they just stole your credit card info. talking from experience.

WHAT THE F***, what should I do now?!!

#37 March 9 2021

VipModz

NuclearVision wrote:

why would you give anyone your card info?

it seemed like a legit site, no payment has been done so far tho.

#38 March 9 2021

NuclearVision

know what? Just leave it, i'm guessing it has 0 intl limit or an LbP card.
They most likely ddidn't figure our how to use it.

#39 March 9 2021

VipModz

NuclearVision wrote:

know what? Just leave it, i'm guessing it has 0 intl limit or an LbP card.
They most likely ddidn't figure our how to use it.

it has 25 USD limit per month, should I spend it :/

#40 March 9 2021

NuclearVision

Call the bank and cancel it and issue a new one

#41 March 9 2021

NuclearVision

They probably have a big list to go through and haven't reached your card yet.
Did you put your card as a payment method ?
If that's the case it should have been charged immediately for relevant fees right?
Since it didn't, i assume something fishy is happening, not that i would trust this website in first place.
I advise you to call your bank first thing in the morning and tell them it was stolen and cancel it.

#42 March 9 2021

VipModz

Alright man thanks! btw did anyone find a way to get a paypal account in Lebanon? I have a 20$ payment and the only option available is PayPal.

#43 March 9 2021

VipModz

NuclearVision wrote:

They probably have a big list to go through and haven't reached your card yet.
Did you put your card as a payment method ?
If that's the case it should have been charged immediately for relevant fees right?
Since it didn't, i assume something fishy is happening, not that i would trust this website in first place.
I advise you to call your bank first thing in the morning and tell them it was stolen and cancel it.

I clicked on "APPLY NOW!" filled the form and haven't received an email yet.

#44 March 9 2021

NuclearVision

Payment for what?

#45 March 9 2021

VipModz

NuclearVision wrote:

Payment for what?

for upgrading my account in The Orange Room forum

#46 March 9 2021

beezer

Dude, spend your money on something on aliexpress instead.

#47 March 9 2021

VipModz

beezer wrote:

Dude, spend your money on something on aliexpress instead.

aliexpress doesn't work anymore with Byblos bank cards

#48 March 9 2021

RandomMemory

Just a piece of advice, spend your money away from politics, you're free to do whatever you want ofc, not judging you or anything.

#49 March 10 2021

VipModz

Thank you for your advice!

#50 March 25 2021

NuclearVision

Done!

Last edited by NuclearVision (May 5 2021)

Board footer