LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 18 2021

MIchelHayek

Broken online UPS

Hello,

I have a 1kva online ups ( ThreeAce ) if anyone familiar with it, apparently when i got new batteries i connected them the wrong way and the ups isn't turning on anymore.
There is no way I buy another one at the moment, can anyone help me here ?

thank you

#2 March 18 2021

DNA

Re: Broken online UPS

my 2Kva UPS just got burned too for no reason :/

I am not familiar with this model but you need to disassemble it and hope there is a  high current fuse that popped,if it isn't designed with reverse polarity protection it might be real bad you may have burned the internal reverse diodes in the mosfets voltage regulators  for main circuit or some passive resistors along the way

#3 March 18 2021

MIchelHayek

I've disassembled it before, it has 2 fuses, do you know how to test if they're ok ? and today i found out that if I put the multimeter on a specific place on the board the ups turns on

#4 March 18 2021

DNA

MIchelHayek wrote:

I've disassembled it before, it has 2 fuses, do you know how to test if they're ok ? and today i found out that if I put the multimeter on a specific place on the board the ups turns on

just set your multimeter in Ohms position or beeper and touch the terminals ~0 ohm or beep = good

Am not sure about the second part cause it is too vague. is your multimeter in voltage mode ?? that shouldn't cause anything to change and what exactly was you trying to check if you have no idea on how to test a fuse?

Last edited by DNA (March 18 2021)

#5 March 20 2021

MIchelHayek

i wasn't trying to test the fuse, i took it to a shop and he tried to turn it on from the board, so i tried it at home and it worked, but with a weird noisy sound.

#6 March 30 2021

NuclearVision

Hey guys, don't want to hijack the thread but not to make new one either.
I bought a used asus monitor 24 inch, i have an 850va ups, it is quite fast to switch, but when electricity goes off the monitor turns off then on again after half a sec, is that normal? I never faced this problem with my old 19" moniyot.

#7 March 31 2021

MIchelHayek

NuclearVision wrote:

I bought a used asus monitor 24 inch, i have an 850va ups, it is quite fast to switch, but when electricity goes off the monitor turns off then on again after half a sec, is that normal? I never faced this problem with my old 19" moniyot.

i used to connect my pc to a 850va ups, the transfer time was slow so my pc used to turn off when switching, so i traded it for a 1500va, i remember reading on the manual that came with both of the ups's, the 850va had slower transfer time. but the weird thing is that on the website's manuals, the transfer time is the same, so im sure that this was my problem. and the same is happening to you

#8 March 31 2021

new_user

MIchelHayek wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

i used to connect my pc to a 850va ups, the transfer time was slow so my pc used to turn off when switching, so i traded it for a 1500va, i remember reading on the manual that came with both of the ups's, the 850va had slower transfer time. but the weird thing is that on the website's manuals, the transfer time is the same, so im sure that this was my problem. and the same is happening to you

I think the transfer time becomes slower when the battery starts reaching the end of its lifetime and when u replace the battery it goes back to normal. (not 100% sure but I felt that this is the case based on previous experience). So maybe that's why they had same transfer times on the manual but what you experienced was different.

#9 March 31 2021

MIchelHayek

new_user wrote:
MIchelHayek wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

I think the transfer time becomes slower when the battery starts reaching the end of its lifetime and when u replace the battery it goes back to normal. (not 100% sure but I felt that this is the case based on previous experience). So maybe that's why they had same transfer times on the manual but what you experienced was different.

No i dont think so, the batteries of my current ups died and nothing like that happened, the transfer time doesn't depend on battery's life.

#10 March 31 2021

DNA

No batteries will never influence the transfer time, the issue you described happens to my TV if electricity jitters it blanks out  for a half a sec, in your case it is a combination of bad monitor power circuitry and maybe the ups being too noisy or slow for its monitor's main Cap to maintain sufficient power during transfer, ur option is limited to changing the ups and monitor combination

Last edited by DNA (March 31 2021)

#11 April 1 2021

NuclearVision

its weird, the blackouts stopped happening...

#12 April 2 2021

az09za90za

NuclearVision wrote:

its weird, the blackouts stopped happening...

this used to happen with my monitor when the electricity is on the generator, I noticed that the ups start clicking when voltage is below 210v and the screen blackouts as mentioned above.

Board footer