LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 2 2021

NuclearVision

The current hardware shortage in Lebanon

Hello everyone!
As you may already know it has been difficult for me to buy my pc parts, i'm sure you have have experienced this as well
I want to create this thread so we can share tips to get the best prices and perhaps discuss what drives these prices in lebanon.

For instance, 2 weeks ago, i found  the gtx 1650 for 165$, then 180 next day then 200 the day after and now 220$.
I didn't go for it because honestly i wanted something better. This, means that the dealer didn't buy it for the inflated price, but insyead he noticed people were reselling for higher price and decided to make that profit. Now is that even ok with manufacturers? Doesn't nvidia have control over these prices from authorized dealers?

Now the 1650super is listed on a another major website for 400$ and 1660 super for 80$ more.
To my understanding, these are not mining cards, why did the prices inflate as such?

Last edited by NuclearVision (March 2 2021)

#2 March 3 2021

AvoK95

Re: The current hardware shortage in Lebanon

The dealers will always buy no matter what the price is if the demand is there. - Making money is still making money, at the day.

The whole problem with the hardware shortage is mostly related to graphics cards and laptops due to the following

- The Law and Elasticity of Demand and Supply.
- Global hardware shortages
- Generally an increase in prices in all hardware overall

Simply put, they are unable to produce enough graphics cards/laptops for the number of people wanting them. Therefore prices go up from asking "How much do you want/need it?"

The prices go up until the demand starts to go down, The key as a business is to find the maximum price for the maximum amount of demand to make most of your money.

Therefore this is not a matter of robbery, it's a matter of people wanting something that simply isn't available right now - Like diamonds and gold *whispers* or dollar bills .

#3 March 3 2021

Hybrid

AvoK95 wrote:

Simply put, they are unable to produce enough graphics cards/laptops for the number of people wanting them. Therefore prices go up from asking "How much do you want/need it?"

Besides covid, Crypto mining is to be blamed

#4 March 3 2021

NuclearVision

I am not blaming them of robbery, it's offer and demand, but they are authorized dealers, shouldn't their prices be more real rather than 2-3x msrp, Aren't they sourcing the hardware from manufacturers,?

#5 March 3 2021

NuclearVision

Hybrid wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

Besides covid, Crypto mining is to be blamed

I honestly don't understand, according to my calculations, mining is not that profitable on the short term, seen all the risks on the longterm, and fluctuations of crypto, it's really a mess.
in a perfect world maybe, but now?

#6 March 4 2021

AvoK95

NuclearVision wrote:

I am not blaming them of robbery, it's offer and demand, but they are authorized dealers, shouldn't their prices be more real rather than 2-3x msrp, Aren't they sourcing the hardware from manufacturers,?

Keeping prices at MSRP would be unrealistic because keeping them at normal prices would make the shortage worse, inflating prices helps balance out the shortage until demand and supply go back to normal again.

MSRP is irrelevant, it is based on ceteris paribus, meaning if the market demand and supply and everything else remains the same, which would be unrealistic to use with bitcoin and covid going crazy everywhere. This MSRP would be invalid. MSRP is just a recommendation anyway, it's not a condition. manufacturers themselves don't sell at MSRP sometimes.

NuclearVision wrote:

Aren't they sourcing the hardware from manufacturers,?

The hardware they are sourcing is not enough. That's the problem.

Board footer