LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 February 21 2021

gamer4life

Re: VDSL modem

NuclearVision wrote:

Get the cheap one, it's like 1/3 the price, i wouldn't overthink it.

What about wifi range difference? Which is better?

#52 February 21 2021

nuclearcat

gamer4life wrote:

What if I needed the vdsl speeds? Would it work with a separate wifi router? And what is GPON?

VDSL is <100Mbps, so your LAN port can forward traffic to another port.

Your range depends on several criteria.
1)Transmit power - they are both same on 2.4Ghz. It will improve performance only slighly, as TX power on your device still will be <17dbm.
2)Antenna - both same, 5dbi. You can buy device with detachable ones (RP-SMA connector) and attach different, better ones.
3)RF configuration - both 2T2R for 2.4Ghz.
4)Interference in your area. If some of your neighbour using 2.4Ghz baby monitor or shitty wifi routers - you are out of luck, your wifi at 2.4ghz will be permanently sucks. You might try to change channels.

I dont think there is major difference in range between them, unless some of them have buggy wifi chipset.

Archer have also 5Ghz AC, which is not about range, but higher speed, you might get much better speed in same room (or very near it) as router, if your devices support 5Ghz AC. Thats why it is more expensive.

#53 February 21 2021

gamer4life

nuclearcat wrote:
gamer4life wrote:

What if I needed the vdsl speeds? Would it work with a separate wifi router? And what is GPON?

VDSL is <100Mbps, so your LAN port can forward traffic to another port.

Your range depends on several criteria.
1)Transmit power - they are both same on 2.4Ghz. It will improve performance only slighly, as TX power on your device still will be <17dbm.
2)Antenna - both same, 5dbi. You can buy device with detachable ones (RP-SMA connector) and attach different, better ones.
3)RF configuration - both 2T2R for 2.4Ghz.
4)Interference in your area. If some of your neighbour using 2.4Ghz baby monitor or shitty wifi routers - you are out of luck, your wifi at 2.4ghz will be permanently sucks. You might try to change channels.

I dont think there is major difference in range between them, unless some of them have buggy wifi chipset.

Archer have also 5Ghz AC, which is not about range, but higher speed, you might get much better speed in same room (or very near it) as router, if your devices support 5Ghz AC. Thats why it is more expensive.

Thank you so much for the detailed comparison, will take every word in consideration and order mine tonight hopefully.

#54 February 21 2021

yasamoka

gamer4life wrote:

Cheaper VDSL modems are often unable to handle the load incurred by a multitude of open connections and wireless devices in a home. On the other hand, high-end combo devices (modem, router, switch, access point) are often outrageously expensive, probably due to the convenience they present to the end user of having a single device that does it all.

Buying a cheaper VDSL modem, setting up bridging, and having a midrange / high-end router handle connections (and wireless devices if it includes an access point) is often cheaper, more flexible, and more robust. The modem can handle VDSL's physical link speed (it's made to do that), and the advantage is that if you establish a PPPoE connection over your VDSL line, the modem will simply be doing modulation / demodulation (hence modem) on your VDSL line, assembling packets, and forwarding them to your router's Ethernet interface (or even doing cut-through without waiting for the packet to be complete, unsure).

If you want more wireless range, you can buy extra access points and have them only serve their purpose.

If you want higher-speed file transfers between devices, you can buy extra switches / faster access points.

If you want to handle a higher number of connections, host extra services on your router (such as a VPN), or ensure you receive security updates on time (if you're not behind a NAT firewall and have services exposed on your local network to the Internet), you can upgrade your router or run custom firmware on it (e.g. OpenWRT, or pfsense if you're using a compatible processor architecture).

If any device fails, you can simply just replace that device on its own without disturbing the rest of your network.

Usually, these kinds of setups can easily have months / years of uptime if they're on a UPS.

@nuclearcat feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any point.

#55 February 21 2021

nuclearcat

Every point is absolutely right, well said @yasamoka!

#56 February 21 2021

tmash2

-

Last edited by tmash2 (February 22 2021)

#57 February 21 2021

gamer4life

Thank you guys you really helped, just ordered the cheap vdsl modem.
I'll see its range, if it's good I'll keep it as it is, if not I'll go with a separate high end router connected for wireless, and last step would be buying access points because it will be above my budget by far.

#58 February 22 2021

nuclearcat

tmash2 why you deleted your advice? It was good approach too. (Using 5Ghz-2.4ghz repeater, and transmitting from VDSL modem on 5Ghz to repeater)

#59 February 22 2021

wollyka

nuclearcat wrote:

Sometimes it is better to buy decent wifi router, disable wifi in VDSL and use only separate wifi router.
Thats often valid for GPON as well.

True, it is better most of the cases

Board footer