LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 12 2021

VipModz

MIS graduate wants to pursue a CS master degree

My friend will finish his BS in MIS this spring and he was asking me (a second year CS student) if he can master in a CS related field, I don't really know much, can he master in software engineering or in cyber security?

Back in 2017 he tried CS in LU and hated it but in his last MIS year (at a private uni) he took programming courses and he really enjoyed coding, what do you think is the best path for him?

#2 February 12 2021

AVOlio

Re: MIS graduate wants to pursue a CS master degree

I mean if he really liked coding, yes he can.

Im an MIS graduate.

#3 February 12 2021

VipModz

AVOlio wrote:

I mean if he really liked coding, yes he can.

Im an MIS graduate.

Personal question: did you continue after finishing your bachelor's degree?
And if yes, is it something related to CS?

#4 February 12 2021

Guitaret

VipModz wrote:

My friend will finish his BS in MIS this spring and he was asking me (a second year CS student) if he can master in a CS related field, I don't really know much, can he master in software engineering or in cyber security?

Back in 2017 he tried CS in LU and hated it but in his last MIS year (at a private uni) he took programming courses and he really enjoyed coding, what do you think is the best path for him?

It doesn't make any sense, if he loves coding, he should code and work hard to start his career. Why doing Masters?
On a related note, what USD rate are Lebanese universities charging nowadays?

Last edited by Guitaret (February 12 2021)

#5 February 12 2021

tricky

Masters in CS allows you to: Teach at university, work at google, amazon etc...

If his target are those, it makes sense, if not. He is almost wasting his time and money.  If he is not confident with his skills, he is better off starting a new project to improving his skills.

If he is planning on staying in Lebanon and making money, he is better of doing MBA or something...
this advise was most likely valid like 8 years ago , not sure if things changed in Lebanon

Last edited by tricky (February 12 2021)

#6 February 12 2021

VipModz

Guitaret wrote:

It doesn't make any sense, if he loves coding, he should code and work hard to start his career. Why doing Masters?
On a related note, what USD rate are Lebanese universities charging nowadays?

It's hard finding a job in this crisis, so he thought why waste his time finding a job when he can start masters.

Nowadays, AUB and LAU are charging on the 3900 USD rate and the others (NDU/USEK/etc) 1515 USD rate.

#7 February 12 2021

VipModz

tricky wrote:

Masters in CS allows you to: Teach at university, work at google, amazon etc...

If his target are those, it makes sense, if not. He is almost wasting his time and money.  If he is not confident with his skills, he is better off starting a new project to improving his skills.

If he is planning on staying in Lebanon and making money, he is better of doing MBA or something...
this advise was most likely valid like 8 years ago , not sure if things changed in Lebanon

Thank you very much!

Board footer