LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 November 24 2014

rolf

Re: The topic for when there is nothing new

This thread is not a thread, it's more like a furball

#102 November 25 2014

bermudapineapple

A.I. wrote:

I know I was a drama queen,but I get too sensitive when it comes to helpless kids. I was very selfish in the past and I didn't care about anyone except myself. It was not what I saw on the deep web that changed me. It was a video that was recently shared on Facebook about Arab parents abusing their newborn child. I don't know why this one in particular but it trigged a sentiment that I have never felt before.

I don't think this is anything you need to justify. If you feel terrible after witnessing the suffering of a helpless being, it's probably a good sign that you well up. Show's you're still human and all that, right? It's normal.

I personally cried after I witnessed a kitten, yes, only a kitten, starve and slowly die over a few days while I couldn't do anything to help it. Since then I've seen much worse happen to animals and to humans, and I barely shed a tear now. It relates to my previous point of accepting that things like this are a part of life. It still pains me every single time I witness suffering, but my accepting of it has cushioned the blow and the pain. That doesn't mean that nothing can be done to help the helpless. Just because you accept that it happens does not mean that you think there's no ultimate solution to the problem. Maybe there is an ultimate solution, maybe there isn't. But so long as you accept it and remove the element of surprise, you'll be much more capable at confronting, understanding, and perhaps even actively opposing these things you witness.

#103 May 27 2016

AVOlio

Ummm okay, here is something new.
in my uni, i used to go to a specific site everyday with no problem, it is a gaming related site.
but since 2 days, the internet in the uni has blocked this site out of nowhere.
The computers (or the internet?) there use something called fortiguard, and this is what's blocking the website.

So any way around this, to make this website as an exception or something?

#104 May 27 2016

rolf

AVOlio wrote:

I'm don't know about "fortigard" (it sounds like medication for diarrrhoeashproltsh) but I have an idea. I'm not sure how useful it is.
There are web-based proxies, do you know that that is? If Mr. fortithing blocks these too, maybe you can create a page on your server and put inoffensive text on that, and once fortiwhat has listed this as "OK" then you can maybe add to the page a web proxy script.

Or you can just wait until you get home. Or use your phone.

#105 May 28 2016

NuclearVision

Rolf means something like prx.me but since fortiguard will probably block this, make one of your own.

#106 May 28 2016

hussam

So I went to the mountains yesterday noon. I was back in Beirut by 6:30. I had dinner and went to bed at 8PM and I dreamt that I was standing near a river and there was really wonderful music mixed with the sound of flowing water. I only remember that it was familiar film score but I don't recall the exact music.

Last edited by hussam (May 28 2016)

#107 May 28 2016

TrollFatGuy

@AVOlio you could try downloading a client like Betternet. It's a free VPN service that maxes out at 200kb/s downspeed (but I have noticed that it sometimes spikes to 2mb/s for an hour at a time or so). Works fine at my university.

#108 May 28 2016

AVOlio

NuclearVision wrote:

Rolf means something like prx.me but since fortiguard will probably block this, make one of your own.

How do i make one of my own?

TrollFatGuy wrote:

you could try downloading a client like Betternet. It's a free VPN service that maxes out at 200kb/s downspeed (but I have noticed that it sometimes spikes to 2mb/s for an hour at a time or so). Works fine at my university.

I have already downloaded Betternet on Android, and it works, i bypass it (although its slow).
But i am more interested in bypassing it on the computers since the desktop version of the site is more elaborated and easy to use, cause it's on desktop!

So none of you know about Foriguard client, fortinet or whatever they are.

Last edited by AVOlio (May 28 2016)

#109 May 28 2016

bermudapineapple

hussam wrote:

So I went to the mountains yesterday noon. I was back in Beirut by 6:30. I had dinner and went to bed at 8PM and I dreamt that I was standing near a river and there was really wonderful music mixed with the sound of flowing water. I only remember that it was familiar film score but I don't recall the exact music.

Why are you sleeping at 8 PM?

#110 May 28 2016

hussam

tt400 wrote:
hussam wrote:

Why are you sleeping at 8 PM?

I was tried and I had a headache. The weather up there was much colder than Beirut but no dust. Beirut is way too dusty.

#111 May 28 2016

rolf

hussam wrote:

I was tried and I had a headache. The weather up there was much colder than Beirut but no dust. Beirut is way too dusty.

I want to go live in such a place. I'm tired of dusty cities. My poor lungs.

#112 May 28 2016

Jerome

AVOlio wrote:

in my uni, i used to go to a specific site everyday with no problem, it is a gaming related site.
The computers (or the internet?) there use something called fortiguard, and this is what's blocking the website.

Tor works for my uni's firewall

#113 May 28 2016

AVOlio

Jerome wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Tor works for my uni's firewall

But how did you install the browser?
I need admin username and password to be able to install anything on the PC.
if i could have installed i would just install a vpn like hotspot shield or something, but problem is i cant install.

#114 May 28 2016

Elied

Use Kproxy, you don't need to install anything. Alternatively check if any of the vpns given on freevpnaccess.com work(they're usually blocked but worth a try)

#115 February 27 2018

AVOlio

So have you noticed in Ayn Mrayse area, there are Many jelly fish swimming in the sea?
I've noticed them many times now, first thought of them as white trash bags but when I saw them on multiple occasions and in different locations, paying attention closely as they're moving (swimming) I confirmed that they're jelly fish (or sting rays, I don't know what they're called).
Here is an image I took, there are two in the picture.

#116 February 27 2018

rolf

Don't these things have a season? Like a time in the year where they would be plenty?

#117 March 1 2018

AVOlio

I don't know, but today I saw them and they were a lot more than usual!

#118 March 1 2018

RandomMemory

don't those come out late summer usually?

#119 March 1 2018

rolf

RandomMemory wrote:

don't those come out late summer usually?

I although thought it was something like that. But who knows, I'm not a sealife expert!

#120 September 3 2018

AVOlio

So yet again.
I was in ayn mrayse area today, went next to the see to observe and wonder in laughter how the fisherman are fishing in a sewage and garbage polluted sea, and to my surprise, I saw THIS animal hovering up top and then peacefully swimming to the deep.

It's a shame that it's swimming in such a polluted sea, it deserves an exotic crystal water sea.

#121 September 3 2018

duke-of-bytes

AVOlio wrote:

So yet again.
I was in ayn mrayse area today, went next to the see to observe and wonder in laughter how the fisherman are fishing in a sewage and garbage polluted sea, and to my surprise, I saw THIS animal hovering up top and then peacefully swimming to the deep.

It's a shame that it's swimming in such a polluted sea, it deserves an exotic crystal water sea.

this is a green turtle, which is an endangered species .

#122 September 3 2018

rolf

This is pretty cool.

When I go to the mountains there is a relatively wild forest and I often spot something awesome such as a hedgehog, a black and yellow lizard, those glowing insects at night, weird flowers, etc.

We are blessed with a great nature in Lebanon, and no nasty stuff such as leeches, pirhana, tse-tse flies, nasty parasites, fatal spiders, etc. However human beings are kind of nasty. I wish these blessings were more respected.

Last edited by rolf (September 3 2018)

#123 January 28 2021

AVOlio

Ok say, to revive this thread,

Can anyone confirm if this is the official online platform for the monthly help by the ministry of social affairs?

http://www.nptp.gov.lb/Home/Index

Board footer