LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#176 June 8 2020

wollyka

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

Kazouza wrote:
Xsever wrote:

The Ministry of Telecom just announced that they are stopping the collection on customs taxes on imported phones for personal use until further notice.

Is it still on hold?

No you have to pay

#177 June 8 2020

ironman

I think the rule is still on hold, by now my phone should have stopped working...

#178 June 8 2020

infiniteloop

It's not only for phones, I asked SnS what should I pay for a camera lens, they said that the ministry of I dunno what has to check what is it and they charge 110$  then I have to pay VAT and customs fees, if this is true it's utter BS that for every electronic thing they have to check on the item and get a paid clearance , and they ask why we want a revolution!

#179 June 8 2020

Kazouza

ironman wrote:

I think the rule is still on hold, by now my phone should have stopped working...

What phone do you have?

#180 June 9 2020

ironman

@Kazouza

iPhone 11 Pro

#181 June 23 2020

Salloum

infiniteloop wrote:

It's not only for phones, I asked SnS what should I pay for a camera lens, they said that the ministry of I dunno what has to check what is it and they charge 110$  then I have to pay VAT and customs fees, if this is true it's utter BS that for every electronic thing they have to check on the item and get a paid clearance , and they ask why we want a revolution!

If you are shipping directly to Lebanon then yes you're right. but the difference with this law is, even if you buy something yourself (or a relative/ friend) abroad and bring it to Lebanon, and that device needs a connection to alfa/ touch, you still have to pay customs!

#182 September 1 2020

bermudapineapple

bermudapineapple wrote:
Kareem wrote:
m0ei wrote:

Yes, I bought a Note 10 plus from Amazon. I had to go to the MoT and activate the IMEI before taking the phone from the customs.

I bought the phone for $770, they priced it it for 1,100,000 LL. I paid them 11% vat + 5% customs + 3% interest (no idea what that is), total of ~200,000 LL.

That's strange. I bought my Note10+ 6 months ago from Amazon USA and I didn't pay any custom.

I think it's because they shipped with S&S. They force you to activate before you can even pick it up. I had a relative bring me a US S10+, and I got the message upon inserting my SIM. That was a month ago, and so far so good. I'm gonna let the 3 months expire and see what happens.

This is just to let everyone know that, like Kareem, my line hasn't been deactivated despite never paying. I received the message in April and it's now been well over three months later. Perhaps that both our phones are Samsungs might have something to do with it, but that's just speculation.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (September 1 2020)

#183 November 1 2020

Hybrid

Any idea what the customs for iphone 12 mini and iphone 12 will bE?

#184 November 12 2020

Salloum

Hybrid wrote:

The law is still "on hold". Meaning, you will receive the text messages, but your IMEI wont be blacklisted even after the deadline. So for now, no issues. Eventually, the customs is 16% of the price at the time of payment, payable in LBP @ 1,515. Probably around 200-250,000 LBP for the iPhone 12, a bit less for the mini (which is by the way, such an amazing little device!)

#185 November 13 2020

Hybrid

Salloum wrote:
Hybrid wrote:

The law is still "on hold". Meaning, you will receive the text messages, but your IMEI wont be blacklisted even after the deadline. So for now, no issues. Eventually, the customs is 16% of the price at the time of payment, payable in LBP @ 1,515. Probably around 200-250,000 LBP for the iPhone 12, a bit less for the mini (which is by the way, such an amazing little device!)

Thank you!

#186 January 24 2021

infiniteloop

Are Xiaomi phones exempt of ''registration'' cost like Oneplus?
The Mi 11 looks like a crazy nice phones with all the specs of the s21 Ultra but at a much nicer price

#187 January 24 2021

xazbrat

infiniteloop wrote:

The Mi 11 looks like a crazy nice phones with all the specs of the s21 Ultra but at a much nicer price

AFIAK, they aren't.  There are some people who bought some of their older phones and had begun to pay the jamareck.  I don't know how much they are enforcing the law either.  As for the MI 11, wait until the global one comes out.  The top end one now (12 gig ram/256 storage) comes out to around $720.  No matter what with the way they are currently calculating the dollar, should still be a good deal.

#188 January 27 2021

HzSamer

I got OnePlus 7T in August 2020 from UAE. Until now it still works and I didn't pay any fees for the registration

Last edited by HzSamer (January 27 2021)

#189 January 27 2021

infiniteloop

Yep OP are apparently the only ones to be lucky, I guess it's because they don't have a wakil here, the bad news is that OP and Oppo could become 1 entity in the near future , and as there is an Oppo wakil here.

Last edited by infiniteloop (January 27 2021)

#190 January 27 2021

wollyka

infiniteloop wrote:

I am also looking for Mi 11  to replace my aging samsung S8+. With the current prices of Samsung prices here in dollars, Mi11 looks great

#191 February 10 2021

VipModz

a technician told me that if I root an imported android phone with an Exynos chip (will not work on Snapdragon) I will be able to change the phone S/N and replace it with a S/N which have been used before, then I will no longer need to pay customs.

#192 February 11 2021

tmash2

-

Last edited by tmash2 (February 21 2021)

#193 February 11 2021

infiniteloop

It was possible to change imei with rooted htc phones, samsung no idea

#194 February 23 2021

infiniteloop

Saw Mi 11 reviews, nice specs for the price but it lacks a telezoom lens unless you crop from the main camera, also about the main camera it's a samsung sensor not sony, so you can't really use gcam. I will wait for the OP 9 to be released and most probably get an 8 Pro as its price will drop like a stone once the 9 Pro is out

#195 February 23 2021

yasamoka

infiniteloop wrote:

Saw Mi 11 reviews, nice specs for the price but it lacks a telezoom lens unless you crop from the main camera, also about the main camera it's a samsung sensor not sony, so you can't really use gcam. I will wait for the OP 9 to be released and most probably get an 8 Pro as its price will drop like a stone once the 9 Pro is out

Beware the serious 8 Pro display issues.

#196 February 24 2021

infiniteloop

Thanks I wasn't aware of that.
Damn! Now I don't know what could replace my mighty OP 7 Pro.
The S21 Ultra could see its price drop to under 850$ in 3 months but it's a heavy 228grm phone and exynos is limiting
Well I will wait and see if Xiaomi releases a mi 11 Pro with a zoom camera

#197 February 24 2021

xazbrat

infiniteloop wrote:

Thanks I wasn't aware of that.
Damn! Now I don't know what could replace my mighty OP 7 Pro.
The S21 Ultra could see its price drop to under 850$ in 3 months but it's a heavy 228grm phone and exynos is limiting
Well I will wait and see if Xiaomi releases a mi 11 Pro with a zoom camera

Could try the Samsung S20 FE----it had a worldwide release with the snapdragon SOC and a zoon lens and still cheaper than the S21 since you were willing to go to last year's OP model.

#198 March 12 2021

infiniteloop

Any news about Mi 11 in Lebanon? It's been 3 weeks already since it's internationally released

#199 March 12 2021

ballad

infiniteloop wrote:

Any news about Mi 11 in Lebanon? It's been 3 weeks already since it's internationally released

I don't think anyone will import anything especially after this March until the economic situation reaches some sort of stability.

So you better ship it from abroad

#200 March 12 2021

ironman

Hello Guys,

I bought an iPhone 11 Pro in November 2019 which didn't have its custom dues paid. As soon as I inserted the SIM, I immediately received an SMS saying that I have 90 days to pay....

I didn't pay and nothing happened.

A week ago I received a new SMS. I called Libanpost and they said that if I don't pay within 90 days the phone will stop working.
the fees are around 280,000 LBP

Did this happen with any of you?

Board footer