LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 25 2021

ironman

Garage Door Opener

Hello Guys,

I have a garage door at my house with only 1 remote control (Brand is EMY). It operates on 433.92 MHZ frequency.

I tried to find a generic one with the same frequency and I followed carefully the instructions to clone the signal without success.

I will post the image of the original remote and the clone remote for reference

Note: The manual of the original remote says that it has a B&B which prevents it from being copied...

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your assistance

#2 January 25 2021

AvoK95

Re: Garage Door Opener

Sometimes you have to click on a button on the receiver of the door in order to activate pairing mode, then you click a button on the receiver to pair them together.

#3 January 25 2021

beezer

Have you checked your garage door to see if you can add a new remote to it. I remember my parents garage door couldn't copy from the factory remote (Nice brand) but we could program new remotes to it.

#4 January 25 2021

ironman

Thank you for your reply AvoK95 and beezer, I read the description on Aliexpress of the remote I bought, that's what they said

Aliexpress wrote:

Before buying,please confirm whether your remote control can be copyed or not.
Our remote control can copy the fixed codes and learning codes
rather than stealth codes.It can't copy original car remote control, two-way remote control and rolling code remote control (Rolling code chips start with HCS commonly,such as HCS200,HCS201,HCS300,HCS301,etc

It seems that my original remote has the rolling code feature (some sort of encryption) (Shown in the image linked in the first post)

What do you recommend to do? Is there any trusted shop that can assist me?

@AvoK95, I will check if the receiver has a pairing button tomorrow

Thanks

Last edited by ironman (January 25 2021)

#5 January 26 2021

beezer

Oh, if you have a rolling code then you can't do anything. The one you bought won't work (it has dip switches inside) but you can buy other rolling code remote on AE. Or get a wifi one which is what I eventually did.

#6 January 26 2021

Beta0

It's quite rare to have rolling key + encryption, even encryption by itself is very rare although it is on the trend with new models. Having the model/manual for the door controller and the new key is helpful. The rf button in most controllers is used to "de-sync" or "step forward" the rolling key, not pair. Be careful with tasmota based cheap wifi controllers, they are quite buggy, expect the door to open for no reason at some time.

Last edited by Beta0 (January 26 2021)

#7 January 27 2021

beezer

The wifi controller I got works very well, not based on tasmota. But you are right that sometimes it opens by itself, this issue happens (but rarely) when our wonderful electricity switches from one source to another.

I solved it by switching the garage from being open by default to being closed. Ever since then (2years) I've never had a surprise door open.

Also it came with door sensors that show me if the garage is open/closed and I recieve a notification if it opens.

#8 January 29 2021

ironman

Thank you for your input guys.

So as I understood you recommended me to buy a WIFI controller from AE. I checked AE and it seems that it involves wiring and connecting this controller to the door opener.

I am trying to stay away from such things since I own an apartment in the building and I don't want to mess with the existing configuration. Especially since the building is empty and I don't want to fight with the Landlord

Is there a remote on AE that is capable of cloning this "Rolling code" thing? Or is there a company that might be able to help me?

I will try to get you some pictures tomorrow (Door Opener, Receiver...)

Thank you

#9 January 29 2021

nuclearcat

Wire this wifi controller to your remote button (you need to hack it). Put near window where it can control this garage door.
Make it visible in cloud. When you approach your home, connect to cloud over mobile internet and press button :)
You can give access to app for more people.
(I was thinking to make such product, more custom controller that fit to purpose better than those random boards with wifi)

Last edited by nuclearcat (January 29 2021)

#10 January 29 2021

Beta0

GarageMate and few others use BLE, does not depend on internet (important in Lebanon) or clean boradcast/mDNS, supports any BLE physical remote, smartwatch, smartphone and hub integration. BLE is future proof, relatively way more secure, universal, very simple, and most of the good ones offer RF transceiver for copy. I find this all useful for the elderly and forgetful ;) or shared rental storage compared to the traditional "RF key" solution.

#11 January 30 2021

beezer

If you don't have a physical button in your apartment then you'll have to hardwire the wifi controller to your remote as mentioned above. The wifi device I tried is a dry relay.

Concerning the rolling code, I have purchased three from AE. Two worked but their setup was from the main controller. The third one duplicates the remote but it didn't work.

I'm sure you can ask the natoor of the building to open the controller and duplicate from there after downloading the manual.

Board footer