LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 15 2021

fatte-B-Hummos

Setting a Seedbox for a noob

Hi, I wish i don't get mocked and made fun of, but yeah i appreciate advices addressed in a civil way :) but appreciate warm advice from my fellow peeps.

You see, as a Lebanese i am unable to purchase online, nor can afford the cheapest service for a seedbox. But I need one to inhance my ratio on private tracker otherwise i will loose my account there. Cause even with 24/7 seeding the bittorrent algorithms always find another seeder with better speed.

I searched for methods on how to setup a free seed box using a line  command called" sudo" and a VPS. The vps i am currently using for a free trial is GCP and as i been told on reddit it is illegal to abuse Google servers for torrenting and it will cause me troubles i don't wanna get in. I will try to find a new VPS that doesn't request billing info because i don't have one lol.(recommend if you know one )

But my main problem here is "sudo", i knew it is a Linux thing but i am not sure how to use it on windows. If i could get another VPS, I want to learn how to apply Sudo on windows and how it works( Maybe link me to articles and books?) I am a first years CS student and i guess it will be fun to learn it in either ways. What are your recommendations and tips?

#2 January 15 2021

RandomMemory

Re: Setting a Seedbox for a noob

sudo is a command to escalate privileges so you can run your program in what's considered "administrator mode" for linux. First of all, don't use GCP for seedboxes, it will get you in trouble if you have a CC on file/Real name on file. Also you will not be able to find a vps that has no billing info, everyone wants money and no one is gonna hand out a server to you for free. As for "running sudo on windows", You can install linux file system for windows 10 and then install ubuntu to get a linux terminal. Sudo is not a windows thing, you just run as administrator on windows. Also in most linux systems in order for a user to be able to use the sudo command he has to be part of the sudoers group.

#3 January 15 2021

jsaade

you will probably get blocked or account cancelled.
Usually you cannot just use any VPS as a seedbox. Example, you cannot use digital ocean or linode, a few download one or 2 torrents you will get an email from their support.

#4 January 15 2021

fatte-B-Hummos

jsaade wrote:

you will probably get blocked or account cancelled.
Usually you cannot just use any VPS as a seedbox. Example, you cannot use digital ocean or linode, a few download one or 2 torrents you will get an email from their support.

i am out of luck i guess tysm

#5 January 15 2021

fatte-B-Hummos

RandomMemory wrote:

sudo is a command to escalate privileges so you can run your program in what's considered "administrator mode" for linux. First of all, don't use GCP for seedboxes, it will get you in trouble if you have a CC on file/Real name on file. Also you will not be able to find a vps that has no billing info, everyone wants money and no one is gonna hand out a server to you for free. As for "running sudo on windows", You can install linux file system for windows 10 and then install ubuntu to get a linux terminal. Sudo is not a windows thing, you just run as administrator on windows. Also in most linux systems in order for a user to be able to use the sudo command he has to be part of the sudoers group.

Understood, tysm. I will cross the VPS idea from my head

#6 January 15 2021

RandomMemory

you can get a vps but seedboxes are 8+$ a month and 12+$ if you want plex on it.

#7 January 15 2021

Beta0

fatte-B-Hummos wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

Understood, tysm. I will cross the VPS idea from my head

I used Vultr, Hetzner and OVH for years, make sure you use a server from Amsterdam or Spain as "personal" P2P file sharing is allowed there, tons of seedboxes and plex servers are usually located there as well. Vultr emailed me to move my VPS to Amsterdam from Paris to continue using *public* torrents. Private trackers would work with any as long as torrents are allowed.

I use Web File manager: https://github.com/filebrowser/filebrowser and qBittorrent.
I also used this to download files over bad connections as bittorrent is very resilient.

DigitalOcean, Scaleway, and few others do not allow torrents (even for legal purposes like Ubuntu's torrent server) on any datacenter.
image.png

Last edited by Beta0 (January 15 2021)

#8 January 15 2021

samer
Admin

If you're having trouble understanding what sudo is, you'll struggle with setting up a VPS for torrenting. In general, I would recommended digging a bit deeper into a topic before posting here, as that would allow us to help you more (keep peeling the onion until you hit a wall).

There are managed seedboxes where you don't need to install anything, but don't expect any of this to be free.
Have a look here for a few options: https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/wiki/seedbox_vendors
You also may want to ask the people on your tracker's forum, I am sure they can assist you better.

#9 January 16 2021

Hybrid

Beta0 wrote:

DigitalOcean, Scaleway, and few others do not allow torrents (even for legal purposes like Ubuntu's torrent server) on any datacenter.
https://i.ibb.co/VtKGfqk/image.png

I'm pretty sure Scaleway allows torrenting, they even have torrent images, to instantly create a seedbox.
https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/how-to … tant-apps/

#10 January 16 2021

Beta0

samer wrote:

If you're having trouble understanding what sudo is, you'll struggle with setting up a VPS for torrenting. In general, I would recommended digging a bit deeper into a topic before posting here, as that would allow us to help you more (keep peeling the onion until you hit a wall).

There are managed seedboxes where you don't need to install anything, but don't expect any of this to be free.
Have a look here for a few options: https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/wiki/seedbox_vendors
You also may want to ask the people on your tracker's forum, I am sure they can assist you better.

I second this, on a side note, never knew how cheap they've gott, may give Bytesized a try.

Hybrid wrote:

I'm pretty sure Scaleway allows torrenting, they even have torrent images, to instantly create a seedbox.
https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/how-to … tant-apps/

Oh good to know! afaik many providers offer spins upon creation, I'm interested in Docker based spins for using better 3rd party software, easier to initialize for "noobs" as well. (e.g Emby)

Last edited by Beta0 (January 16 2021)

Board footer