LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 April 14 2020

VincentKeyboard

Re: Moving to Canada Process

Montreal sounds nice. Do you need a masters degree to land a good job there?

#77 April 14 2020

rolf

I like Europe (generally) and have friends and I like the active lifestyle.

However Montreal seem to offer a better standard of life (especially concerning accommodation) an the professional environment appears to be more forgiving, more chilled, more validating than the one in Europe.

Immigration to Canada is generally easier than Europe. Also USA and South America is more accessible from there.

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Montreal sounds nice. Do you need a masters degree to land a good job there?

I can tell you that in IT, if you have experience and skills then have a chance, assuming that Covid does not annihilate the economy.

Last edited by rolf (April 14 2020)

#78 April 14 2020

TrollFatGuy

Hey Draguen, I'v been honestly thinking about this for some time but never took action towards it, partially because of the university fees. Would you happen to have an estimate for a non-EU Lebanese only candidate? I have googled it before, but I am wondering if those values are just that and if we can apply for some sort of scholarship related to our nationality.

#79 April 14 2020

random-username

To all those looking for a way to immigrate to Canada, I'll try to answer some questions since I'm going through this process right now. It's extremely competitive right now, and the bar is only going to get higher with time. Might as well pull the trigger on it now while you have a chance.

The ways you can get a PR (permanent residence) in Canada as Lebanese:

1- Marry a Canadian, duh
2- FSWP (federal skilled workers program), which is the express entry route that most people go for
3- Sponsorship by an immediate family member (siblings, children, grandparents or parents) with enough financial means to sustain you

Most of us, including myself have no other choice than #2. Which puts us in a pool with candidates from around the world, where we compete on bi-weekly draws that select an X number of people that score above a certain threshold. That threshold is determined by your score, you can calculate it here. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate … s-tool.asp

Generally speaking, if you don't score above 460 then you have no chance of getting your PR (the current cutoff is 468, so 460 is being optimistic too). There are ways to improve that score such as getting higher grades in the language proficiency tests, obtaining a higher degree from outside of canada, obtaining a degree from Canada, getting a job offer from a Canadian employer, getting a PNP (provincial nominee program endorsement)...etc.

Play around with the CRS website that I linked and see what you need to do to get to the desired cutoff score. The score fluctuates with each draw every 2 weeks. But it's only been increasing over the years due to Chinese and Indian applicants getting higher and higher degrees for relatively cheap from their countries.

If you have money stuck in Lebanon, a good way to use it is to invest it in a Canadian degree. CIC (canadian immigration authority) has given international students the greenlight to pursue Canadian degrees online, even from abroad during COVID-19. The previous immigration rules were that at least 50% of your degree needs to be taught in class, but this is a good way to start while the borders open back up.

Furthermore, you're eligible of a PGWP, which is an open work permit after graduation that matches the length of your studies, to a maximum of 3 years. I'm taking the accelerated route and cramming my 2 year program in 1. I don't need the 2 or 3 year PGWP, since the processing time for the PR application is generally 6 months. So the 1 year PGWP I will be given should be good enough, while my PR application gets processed.

Lebanese banks """"should"""" allow you to transfer money abroad for tuition. It might be a major cost, but think of it as an investment in a better life.

I've been in Canada since last July and will hopefully be graduating this August. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Additionally, you can find so many resources online regarding this topic, there's absolutely no need for an immigration "consultant" or maktab, I did it all by myself.

Last edited by random-username (April 14 2020)

#80 August 24 2020

Guitaret

Anyone undergoing the immigration process right now who is willing to answer a few questions for me? Maybe we can start a new thread since many things have changed in the light of COVID and our recent banks collapse.

#81 August 24 2020

duke-of-bytes

can the skilled visa be earned without a college degree but a lot of certification and work experience?

#82 August 24 2020

Guitaret

One of my questions:
What is the earliest and cheapest way to do the IELTS test in Lebanon?

#83 August 24 2020

rolf

duke-of-bytes wrote:

can the skilled visa be earned without a college degree but a lot of certification and work experience?

If you have a job offer for an IT job there then you could qualify for temporary worker (with a limited permit) even if you have no tertiary education degree.

Last edited by rolf (August 24 2020)

#84 August 25 2020

MAS

Guitaret wrote:

One of my questions:
What is the earliest and cheapest way to do the IELTS test in Lebanon?

Well for now and based on my research, the only option available is Netcom Computer-delivered IELTS near LAU, 240$ in cash :/

#85 August 25 2020

ironman

@Guitaret,

British Council, 204 USD, they accepted LBP on the rate of 3200 LBP few weeks ago, but they might not accept now.

Good luck.

#86 August 25 2020

Guitaret

MAS wrote:

Well for now and based on my research, the only option available is Netcom Computer-delivered IELTS near LAU, 240$ in cash :/

Yeah, I did reserve my seat for Oct 31 (paper - not Computer-delivered) and then I called them for payment: they take only cash and so I will try to look for a cheaper option ( ~1,600,000LL :(  )

ironman wrote:

British Council, 204 USD, they accepted LBP on the rate of 3200 LBP few weeks ago, but they might not accept now.

I couldn't see any spot available, and their reservation calendar goes as much as end of 2020.

#87 January 12 2021

TrollFatGuy

Hey guys. Thought I should just ask my question here rather than opening a  new thread for this.

I finished my IELTS and scored really well; I just need to do the TEF and score well enough for French to be counted as an official second language, and wait a few months so I could officially have 3 years of experience. The thing is, I am not so good in French.

I've given myself about 6 months to study and redo the exam, given the below achieved and needed scores respectively:
Speaking:     267/450 (need 310)
Listening:    229/360 (need 249)
Reading:    192/300 (need 207)
Writing:    195/450 (need 310) worst by far

I think is doable, especially given I did not have the time to take the exam that seriously the first time I attempted it, but I am looking for the help of a tutor or some company that specializes in this exam (if there exists any). Would you guys happen to know such a person/company that I can contact and who can help me train in French?

#88 January 12 2021

tricky

I immigrated to Canada in 2015 and now have citizinship when i applied it was a different process, so cant help much there... but if you guys have like specific questions about life in Canada ( Toronto since i live there), post here and i will try to answer...

Concerning the IELTS exam, what i did and i think worked very well for me is to download and practice/time yourself on previous exams. You can find books or download from the internet (good old way of getting free stuff).

Last edited by tricky (January 12 2021)

#89 January 13 2021

duke-of-bytes

tricky wrote:

I immigrated to Canada in 2015 and now have citizinship when i applied it was a different process, so cant help much there... but if you guys have like specific questions about life in Canada ( Toronto since i live there), post here and i will try to answer...

Concerning the IELTS exam, what i did and i think worked very well for me is to download and practice/time yourself on previous exams. You can find books or download from the internet (good old way of getting free stuff).

can you send me a job offer?

#90 January 13 2021

Guitaret

Regarding this sad update of having to pass a French test, is it required for immigration now?

duke-of-bytes wrote:

can you send me a job offer?

If you are a front-end web developer, I can refer you to a remote job where my Canadian friend works.

#91 January 13 2021

duke-of-bytes

Guitaret wrote:

Regarding this sad update of having to pass a French test, is it required for immigration now?

duke-of-bytes wrote:

can you send me a job offer ?!

If you are a front-end web developer, I can refer you to a remote job where my Canadian friend works.

No i am an IT manager but my tech skills revolves around networking and windows sysadmin .. this is my e-cv if it can help Tarek Resume
i need a job offer for my european blue card

#92 January 13 2021

TrollFatGuy

Guitaret wrote:

I just used the CRS tool on the Canadian Immigration website; with 3 years of experience, CLB9+ IELTS and the previously mentioned French scores, I would have enough points to make the next express entry draw.

#93 January 13 2021

tricky

Guitaret wrote:

I dont think you have to, but you get more points if you do the French test, if you know french, it wouldnt hurt to get more points, i guess...

#94 January 13 2021

Hybrid

French is not mandatory for express entry, however, a couple of months ago, it was announced that more points will be given to bilinguals.
(https://www.immigration.ca/canada-incre … candidates)

I'm a french educated person (school only) and I did baddd in TEF several years ago. I wasn't well prepared and it was tough. I got lower score than yours.

My suggestion is, get in the pool even if your TEF grades are low. You never know what the lowest score will be in the draws, it's totally random, sometimes it's way too high, other times it's low. Plus the fact that provinces can pick your name from the pool even if your points are low (This will lead to a different process and might cost a bit more)

Note: As far as I remember IELTS should be general not academic, and is only valid for 2 years for the express entry.

#95 January 14 2021

ironman

tricky wrote:

Are you happy? Do you think you made the right choice by leaving Lebanon?

#96 January 14 2021

tricky

ironman wrote:

Am 100% sure I made the right choice by leaving Lebanon.  I sometimes wonder if I should have chosen Australia or some other country less cold than Canada. My biggest complain about Toronto is the cold (~7 month) and the real estate + (taxes of real estate) both are very high.  My tolerance for cold is pretty bad so Toronto might have not been the best choice for me.  However, Toronto has low racism and has tons of parks and hiking trails that i love.

Life outside of Lebanon is not perfect, every country has its own pros and cons.

In general anybody below the age of 30, I would highly encourage them to go abroad and experience life outside of Lebanon.  If you don't like it, try to get a foreign citizenship and come back when you get it.

Last edited by tricky (January 14 2021)

#97 January 14 2021

Beta0

ironman wrote:
tricky wrote:

Didn't know how happy I was until I came back for family medical reasons, that includes "home sick" which lasted for a month only.

#98 January 14 2021

Tech Guru

Any updates about the job market place now in Canada ? I know the corona pandemic laid severe repercussions on the job market worldwide. In particular , is there an increased unemolyment rate in Canada?

Last edited by Tech Guru (January 14 2021)

#99 January 14 2021

Hybrid

Tech Guru wrote:

Any updates about the job market place now in Canada ? I know the corona pandemic laid severe repercussions on the job market worldwide. In particular , are there increased unemolyment rate in Canada?

Yep, but most IT related fields haven't been hit hard since most employees can work from home.

Other places like supermarkets, delivery services and alcohol shops are recruiting more.

Overall, the unemployment rate has increased, most small non IT related businesses have been hit hard. However, The government is paying a salary for the ones that lost their job. It used to be $2000 a month, not sure if it's still the same amount now or less.

#100 January 14 2021

tricky

Tech Guru wrote:

Any updates about the job market place now in Canada ? I know the corona pandemic laid severe repercussions on the job market worldwide. In particular , is there an increased unemolyment rate in Canada?

Toronto unemployment is definitely on the rise don't know how much programmers are affected, but pre-covid the programmer market was very good, I would expect it has been affected a little but not much for programmers.

Board footer