LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#4001 December 28 2020

Bero

Re: Feedback for Ogero

yea well ... i literally tried everything ... i even gave my modem to my friend to try and it worked just fine ... i subscribed with ogero last week hoping that i would have a stable connection as i had my internet connection with a local ISP that sucks

#4002 January 10 2021

DG

Anyone else getting low speeds since yesterday night ? I'm on the 4 Mbps plan and only getting about 150 kB/s down.

#4003 January 18 2021

DG

Wasn't sure if I should post this under "Internet in Lebanon" or here. But, since I am an Ogero subscriber I decided to try here.

My problem is the following: When I first turn my modem on in the morning my parameters are:
Data Rate: 4,096kbps
Max Rate: 7,700kbps
SNR Margin Down: 18.5 dB

As soon as the sun sets everything drops to:
Data Rate: ~3,650kbps
Max Rate: ~3,700kbps
SNR Margin Down: 9.5 dB

As you can see the SNR Margin drops by quite a bit and the modem has to resync so I lose connectivity.
Now, I understand that at night DSL is more affected by interference such as radio waves, ppl at home using more appliances, etc... but is it normal to see the SNR drop to half the original value ?

#4004 January 18 2021

Beta0

DG wrote:

Wasn't sure if I should post this under "Internet in Lebanon" or here. But, since I am an Ogero subscriber I decided to try here.

My problem is the following: When I first turn my modem on in the morning my parameters are:
Data Rate: 4,096kbps
Max Rate: 7,700kbps
SNR Margin Down: 18.5 dB

As soon as the sun sets everything drops to:
Data Rate: ~3,650kbps
Max Rate: ~3,700kbps
SNR Margin Down: 9.5 dB

As you can see the SNR Margin drops by quite a bit and the modem has to resync so I lose connectivity.
Now, I understand that at night DSL is more affected by interference such as radio waves, ppl at home using more appliances, etc... but is it normal to see the SNR drop to half the original value ?

I'm guessing the phone line (or DSLAM) is longer than the usual (3+km). Ionosphere height increases at night causing signals to go farther and thus causing crosstalk, ADSL frequencies are similar to MW radio, the effect is only possible with very long lines, that and probably crosstalk from heavy users during these hours. Are your phone wires outside (street post) or under ground?
Post your full stats, especially attenuation.

Last edited by Beta0 (January 18 2021)

#4005 January 18 2021

DG

I believe the wires are underground as I do not see any street posts nearby.

Line Attenuation: Downstream 43.8 dB - Upstream 32.7 dB
Power: Downstream 19.3 dbm - Upstream 11.3 dbm

#4006 January 18 2021

xazbrat

Some people have reported that certain types of LED's will screw up their connection.   See what lights are turned on in the building and then turn them off and on and see if there is an effect on your connection.   Maybe start with your own apartment and see if any lights or other appliances are affecting your connection too.

Anyhow, good luck---also check if the connection changes when street lights turn on too.  At least you can narrow down where the problem can be then.

#4007 January 18 2021

user

I am very disappointed with Ogero as well. I have been a subscriber for around 5 years, it had always been stable. When open speed came out I used to get 6mbps all the time. Now I only get that speed from 1 am to maybe 8 am. And then it reverts to 3.5mbps But here is the catch: during the day if I actually hit 3.5mbps speed for around 5 seconds, my router reboots. I had to actually throttle my router to only use 2mbps during the day so that I can keep a stable connection... It is absurd.

#4008 January 18 2021

Beta0

@user this seems to be a modem issue.
@DG atten. is far from bad in optimal conditions, it's still high for this country. Either way I have perfect stats and getting 60+ re-syncs per day; tested with 3 different modems, and there is nothing I can do, scope showed no inductance or noise during these times. There is not much to do except try raising your SNR margin manually (search this forum) or get the cheapest second internet connection and use Engarde[0] with both connections, it will duplicate and discard packets from each connection in FIFO fashion, you will have 0% packet loss, low latency and no bufferbloat for gaming everytime DSL goes down or the second one, I may post a tutorial around here soon. Though I wouldn't worry about it if the resyncs are low, raising the SNR margin is more than enough.
[0]:https://github.com/porech/engarde
68747470733a2f2f656e67617264652e6c696e75787a6f676e6f2e6f72672f5363656e6172696f312e706e67

Last edited by Beta0 (January 18 2021)

#4009 January 19 2021

user

Beta0 wrote:

if it was a router issue, why does it work perfectly after midnight?

#4010 January 19 2021

Beta0

user wrote:
Beta0 wrote:

if it was a router issue, why does it work perfectly after midnight?

Maybe you have a typo, resync not reboot I guess?
Or the modem is increasing it's upstream power during the day causing reboot as it's faulty.

Last edited by Beta0 (January 19 2021)

#4011 January 21 2021

user

Yes I guess, it resyncs. I was refering to the connection itself resetting and finding a new ip.

#4012 January 21 2021

new_user

@user I once had the same symptoms and changing the modem fixed it. The modem was really old back then. I cant guarantee that you are having the same issue but if your modem is more than 3 years old then that makes it more likely.

#4013 February 1 2021

user

Update: after I left the country my brother was snooping around the routers, and it turned out I had the wrong adapter attached to the modem and it was not getting the amperage it wanted. Once he plugged it in correctly he says much of the problems for him went away(we had wifi problems too) not sure if it impacted the dsl connection itself and if it was behind the reboots but it might be safe to assume that.

So I guess you guys were right. I had the wrong charger plugged in for 4 years. Better late than never I suppose.

Last edited by user (February 1 2021)

#4014 February 5 2021

Moudimadi

Hello all, i'm getting back to Ogero very soon after i stopped my dsl since summer. I live in Dawhet Aramoun. so i wanna ask if anyone lives here and getting internet from Ogero. How is it? They're gonna give me VDSL. They said im eligible for it.Thank you all in advance.

#4015 February 12 2021

DNA

For the life of me I cannot connect with vpn other than l2tp on ogero, all express vpn protocols aren't working. is any of you aware of any issue? thanks

#4016 February 12 2021

HzSamer

I am using PIA with OpenVPN UDP and all is good.

#4017 February 12 2021

DNA

OpenVPN TCP and UDP aren't working, are you using Ogero DSl?

#4018 February 13 2021

DNA

Nevermind got it sorted out.

Last edited by DNA (February 13 2021)

#4019 February 15 2021

chaosn

Moudimadi wrote:

Hello all, i'm getting back to Ogero very soon after i stopped my dsl since summer. I live in Dawhet Aramoun. so i wanna ask if anyone lives here and getting internet from Ogero. How is it? They're gonna give me VDSL. They said im eligible for it.Thank you all in advance.

Go for it blindly, I live in Bchamoun, we were the first who received the VDSL in Lebanon. In the beginning, I was not impressed by the VDSL speed 1 Mbps upload and 16 Mbps download. But after the Ogero technician visit, it turned out the issue was from the modem and the wiring, and he recommended changing the modem and connect directly with a cat6 cable to the phone box.

I followed his recommendation, and below are the steps I have done:

-Make sure the installed Modem support VDSL2 100Mbps (I use to have the technicolor modem provided by Ogero max speed 20Mbps)
-I upgraded the modem to Archer VR2100 (better performance from the technicolor)
-Installed a direct cat6 cable between the Ogero box and the modem

After the upgrade, the connection is now 10 Mpbs Upload and 50 Mbs Download.

Hope this will help if you want to apply with Ogero VDSL.

#4020 February 17 2021

nuclearcat

Hey, Ogero users, any speed reduction during this cutoff?

#4021 February 17 2021

DG

Yes,for me... Ftp speed (over the traditional port) is constantly fluctuating between around 50% and 100% DSL plan speed.

#4022 February 17 2021

wollyka

Not only Ogero is affected. IDM is suffering from around 25% packets losses too

#4023 February 17 2021

nuclearcat

As far as i know Ogero is least affected. Small ISPs were down for 8 hours totally, they cut them off. Big was throttled, after small ISPs was turned on - they throttled big ones even more.
Ogero users as i suspect speed is not reduced fairly, they experience random speed drops due backbone overload only, but there is no limits as on private ISPs.
And this is what i am investigating, if Ogero reduced speed on everybody proportionally or not...

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 17 2021)

#4024 February 17 2021

GeorgeN

nuclearcat wrote:

As far as i know Ogero is least affected. Small ISPs were down for 8 hours totally, they cut them off. Big was throttled, after small ISPs was turned on - they throttled big ones even more.
Ogero users as i suspect speed is not reduced fairly, they experience random speed drops due backbone overload only, but there is no limits as on private ISPs.
And this is what i am investigating, if Ogero reduced speed on everybody proportionally or not...

Probably not, but I can confirm yesterday was absolutely horrible for THGlobalVision. Download speed was fluctuating between 150kbps and 1mbps(max). even as late as 1 am, with bad packet loss.

#4025 February 17 2021

Moudimadi

chaosn wrote:
Moudimadi wrote:

Go for it blindly, I live in Bchamoun, we were the first who received the VDSL in Lebanon. In the beginning, I was not impressed by the VDSL speed 1 Mbps upload and 16 Mbps download. But after the Ogero technician visit, it turned out the issue was from the modem and the wiring, and he recommended changing the modem and connect directly with a cat6 cable to the phone box.

I followed his recommendation, and below are the steps I have done:

-Make sure the installed Modem support VDSL2 100Mbps (I use to have the technicolor modem provided by Ogero max speed 20Mbps)
-I upgraded the modem to Archer VR2100 (better performance from the technicolor)
-Installed a direct cat6 cable between the Ogero box and the modem

After the upgrade, the connection is now 10 Mpbs Upload and 50 Mbs Download.

Hope this will help if you want to apply with Ogero VDSL.

Hello, they activated my vdsl since 2 days. I'm getting 15 Mbit download and 1.5 upload. Ogero technicians came and did a test. They told me you cant get more speed.Maximum speed i could get is this on Vdsl. i have an asus modem that i'm working on. it has vdsl2. and i have another one tplink archer vr400. My cable is cat5e. do you think if ogero install fiber to the cabinet here, the Vdsl speed will increase here in my house? We have an active cabinet beside soussa restaurant in aramoun it's big and it gives high speeds. im connected to it but i think they didn't install fiber inside it till now.

Board footer