LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 24 2020

duke-of-bytes

TV for Zoom or Skype

Hello awesome people.
I am looking for a TV that can support Skype or Zoom.
Better if it includes a camera and mic. What would you advise?

#2 December 1 2020

duke-of-bytes

Re: TV for Zoom or Skype

i think i will get a small pc , usb cam and a microphone
what do you advice ?

#3 December 1 2020

Beta0

Would an Android phone with HDMI work? You get a milestone better camera (esp low light and wide angle) and mic (calibrated ANR) while having a hidpi interface for long distance visibility.

Last edited by Beta0 (December 2 2020)

#4 December 1 2020

xazbrat

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Hello awesome people.

Almost any smart TV will allow you to do this with a few add ons (mainly adding a camera and mic via USB, etc).  What purpose is this for?

#5 December 2 2020

duke-of-bytes

xazbrat wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Hello awesome people.

Almost any smart TV will allow you to do this with a few add ons (mainly adding a camera and mic via USB, etc).  What purpose is this for?

having zoom or skype meetings on the tv (big screen)

#6 December 2 2020

Beta0

Good luck with the terrible performance, most smart TVs use entry level Mediatek, plus it's a hack to get zoom (rooting etc) working since it is not supported, needs good CPU for browser meeting (>5 participants). Uses HW accel on phones.
I personally use a phone with Chromecast, bluetooth ($8) mini touch-keyboard, and the rear camera with telezoom clip.

Last edited by Beta0 (December 2 2020)

#7 December 3 2020

MrClass

Any Smart TV + Intel NUC with i7 CPU + Wireless Media Keyboard/Mouse + Logitech Brio 4K Webcam

the Brio webcam sits on top of the TV, has a wide angle camera and amazing microphone that can pickup voices from the end of the conference room.

Works perfectly and much much cheaper than fully fledged conference system

#8 December 3 2020

duke-of-bytes

MrClass wrote:

Any Smart TV + Intel NUC with i7 CPU + Wireless Media Keyboard/Mouse + Logitech Brio 4K Webcam

the Brio webcam sits on top of the TV, has a wide angle camera and amazing microphone that can pickup voices from the end of the conference room.

Works perfectly and much much cheaper than fully fledged conference system

this is my plan

#9 December 3 2020

MrClass

Just make sure to get one with an i7 processor and preferably a dedicated gpu. conference tools are relying heavily on hardware acceleration. Some non-optimized ones like Teams can be heavy with all the post processing features like background effects and whatnot

one step forward is having an Nvidia graphic card which can be used to cancel background noise; it does very nicely

#10 December 3 2020

Beta0

Funny, I thought the OP was on budget considering he wanted to do it all on a smart tv
I highly recommend using TrueConf in that case. Nvidia 1050 GPU works great for a school I've set up, especially with VP9 with the terrible uploads we have, you can actually see participant faces with it.
Fully fledged conference systems aren't expensive compared to this, about the same with worse quality as they're outdated.

Last edited by Beta0 (December 3 2020)

#11 December 5 2020

duke-of-bytes

Beta0 wrote:

Funny, I thought the OP was on budget considering he wanted to do it all on a smart tv
I highly recommend using TrueConf in that case. Nvidia 1050 GPU works great for a school I've set up, especially with VP9 with the terrible uploads we have, you can actually see participant faces with it.
Fully fledged conference systems aren't expensive compared to this, about the same with worse quality as they're outdated.

i am on a budget ... i will use the general idea but not with these specs .. an old i5 6th gen with an ssd and 8 GB of ram .. with a good cam/mic and a regular TV

no gpu whatsoever

#12 December 5 2020

Beta0

I still don't get it, my bad...

Last edited by Beta0 (December 5 2020)

Board footer