LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 20 2020

MoeMilord

Ogero VDSL?

Hi everyone!

So i'm looking to understand if there's a whole lot of difference between Ogero's ADSL & VDSL.
i'm currently using open speed package & Down is 24mbps & Up is 1mbps.
i've contacted Ogero and they replied with this.

Dear Mohamad,

The application for VDSL in your line’s case can be done similarly to a switch in package. Note that the packages of VDSL are the same as those of ADSL.
Simply provide the below details and we will submit the request for a VDSL switch:

- Name

- Picture of Landline owner's ID (front and back)

- Landline Number

- Contact Number

- Desired Internet Package

Will i get better Upload? what will i see dramatically change?

#2 November 20 2020

wollyka

Re: Ogero VDSL?

Yes
You will have better upload and download

I was getting 14 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload on ADSL2+
Now on VDSL, I am getting, 22 - 24 Mbps download and 6-7 Mbps upload

In your case, you will reach higher download , probably in the 31 Mbps and upload at 7 Mbps

Edit: I am with IDM, but it will be true for Ogero too

Last edited by wollyka (November 20 2020)

#3 November 20 2020

LifeEngineer

Funny enough I switched to VDSL last week.
I was also on open speed 200GB package.
On DSL: 15down, 1up
On VDSL: 30down, 9up
It's awesome.
However, I've noticed that my ping increased by like 20ms across the board. But I'm fine with that to get a better upload,

#4 November 20 2020

MoeMilord

LifeEngineer wrote:

It's awesome.
However, I've noticed that my ping increased by like 20ms across the board. But I'm fine with that to get a better upload,

Maybe ask them to switch off Interleaving agian? since (idk if it's technically possible) could have change back to default value/On?

#5 November 20 2020

MoeMilord

Also guys, Some information regarding how you requested the VDSL & Location where you live & the distance you are from Ogero Central can give me a glimse of what should i expect.

#6 November 20 2020

wollyka

I DMed Ogero on twitter and told them to do a feasibility test.
After 2 weeks, they replied that I can switch to VDSL.
So I called IDM (since I am with them and the GDS DSLAM) and Informed them that I want to switch and that my line is feasible.
They took them 1.5 month to switch me (and I changed the modem of course)
Mazraa Centrale - 850 meters away

#7 November 21 2020

LifeEngineer

MoeMilord wrote:

Maybe ask them to switch off Interleaving agian? since (idk if it's technically possible) could have change back to default value/On?

Yeah I've thought about doing that, but TBH sometimes when things are working great I'm afraid to call them so they don't mess up something ?...

#8 November 21 2020

LifeEngineer

MoeMilord wrote:

Also guys, Some information regarding how you requested the VDSL & Location where you live & the distance you are from Ogero Central can give me a glimse of what should i expect.

I think if you have on DSL a download of around 8mbps or more then it's pretty sure you'll be able to get VDSL.

When I called them, the mam was nice ans checked my line immediately and told me that I can see you're currently taking like 15mbps so it's very fast and you probably can have VDSL.

I'm not so close to any central but luckily, for once, the FTTC cabinet is just like 50m away from my house, so that's why.

I come from a frustrating dynamic cable connection of 1mbps (and goes down to 256kbps the more you use your internet) where I couldn't play online or do anything (used my 4G for all of that), to a VDSL connection. The difference is like literally day and night. Finally I can enjoy my internet.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (November 21 2020)

#9 November 22 2020

HzSamer

LifeEngineer wrote:

It's awesome.

Call them and request Interleaving to be off. I am playing on 54-68ms to Europe servers. If you have any kind of instability on your line after doing that. Just give them another call and request Interleaving to be on again.

#10 November 22 2020

LifeEngineer

HzSamer wrote:

Call them and request Interleaving to be off. I am playing on 54-68ms to Europe servers. If you have any kind of instability on your line after doing that. Just give them another call and request Interleaving to be on again.

Had it off on DSL but I'm not sure if it's off or on now that they moved me to VDSL. You reckon it was turned off again?

Edit: called them like couple of hours ago and the guy had me wait like 5min and in the end was like "ok it's done now".
So i rebooted the router and checked back again and I can say that it's still the same if not slightly worse...
Bummer

Last edited by LifeEngineer (November 22 2020)

#11 November 23 2020

Victor

I’m currently on IDM adsl and have 10mb down 1mb up.

Any idea what speeds I might get with vdsl ?

#12 November 24 2020

wollyka

Victor wrote:

At first check if your line is feasible. 10 Mbps down suggests that you may be far from the Centrale/cabinet. (by far I mean 1000m+)

#13 November 25 2020

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

wollyka wrote:
Victor wrote:

At first check if your line is feasible. 10 Mbps down suggests that you may be far from the Centrale/cabinet. (by far I mean 1000m+)

1km+ is far? complaining about 10 Mbps?
some people like me are 4km+ from the central and the speed barely reaches 1.3Mbps..

They didn't know how to install cabinets

#14 November 25 2020

wollyka

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge wrote:
wollyka wrote:
Victor wrote:

1km+ is far? complaining about 10 Mbps?
some people like me are 4km+ from the central and the speed barely reaches 1.3Mbps..

They didn't know how to install cabinets

1km+ is far for VDSL.
It is a shitty country. Don't expect fiber or new cabinets this decade.

#15 December 3 2020

MoeMilord

Hello all!

So after some time i got the configuration info for the basic pppoe adsl. however, i did not get anything regarding the vdsl. like VLAN ID...etc
also, they told me the switch request got send but it haven't happen yet till the first week of December (this is what told me a week ago). i'm looking to know the config info you guys have used so i wont have to send them an email or contact them unless it takes them forever to do the switch. So if you guys can help thanks!

#16 January 17 2021

mazendia

Hello everyone,

Sometime ago I requested Ogero to do a line check in order to have VDSL and got back a response saying that it wasn’t possible because my upload speed is too low. I have a max of 1000kbps upload while they said they needed at least 3000kbps upload.

On the other hand, my download speed on ADSL is very good (syncing at ~15000kbps with max attainable of ~17-18000kbps). On the ogero website, it says my phone number has a max of 21mbps.

Other info: Line attenuation is usually ~12dB/~26dB for upload/download, SNR Margin is ~13dB.

Is the reason he gave me legit for not being able to have VDSL, what is the reason for it? Or are there any more statistics that could help me determine how to improve my line for VDSL?

Thanks!

#17 January 18 2021

HzSamer

mazendia wrote:

Hello everyone,

Sometime ago I requested Ogero to do a line check in order to have VDSL and got back a response saying that it wasn’t possible because my upload speed is too low. I have a max of 1000kbps upload while they said they needed at least 3000kbps upload.

On the other hand, my download speed on ADSL is very good (syncing at ~15000kbps with max attainable of ~17-18000kbps). On the ogero website, it says my phone number has a max of 21mbps.

Other info: Line attenuation is usually ~12dB/~26dB for upload/download, SNR Margin is ~13dB.

Is the reason he gave me legit for not being able to have VDSL, what is the reason for it? Or are there any more statistics that could help me determine how to improve my line for VDSL?

Thanks!

Based on the speed of your line on Ogero website, you are eligible to get VDSL.

But how far are you from the central? You can estimate the distance from google maps.

The reason they gave you is not correct, ask them again to do a feasibility test and when Ogero's technician comes and makes the test, you can know the result immediately from him and you will know the speed you will get from his xDSL tester On VDSL.

Just ask them and keep asking until you meet someone knows what he is doing.

#18 January 19 2021

agdroubi

Ogero told me the same thing even though I am syncing at 13000kbps with max attainable 16000kbps, snr margin around 11dB. On ogero website my line max is listed as 21 mbps.

I requested twice to upgrade to vdsl, and I got the same answer that I am far from the central.

#19 January 19 2021

mazendia

HzSamer wrote:
mazendia wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Based on the speed of your line on Ogero website, you are eligible to get VDSL.

But how far are you from the central? You can estimate the distance from google maps.

The reason they gave you is not correct, ask them again to do a feasibility test and when Ogero's technician comes and makes the test, you can know the result immediately from him and you will know the speed you will get from his xDSL tester On VDSL.

Just ask them and keep asking until you meet someone knows what he is doing.

Today the technician came for a previous issue, and I asked him about VDSL. He told me that it was feasible based on his results but that he wouldn't recommend it as it might cause problems. We are ~730 meters away from the central. The ADSL is syncing at ~18Mb at the outside box, and ~16-17Mb in home so there isn't much loss between i guess.

agdroubi wrote:

Ogero told me the same thing even though I am syncing at 13000kbps with max attainable 16000kbps, snr margin around 11dB. On ogero website my line max is listed as 21 mbps.

I requested twice to upgrade to vdsl, and I got the same answer that I am far from the central.

I am in the same boat as you. I reapplied today after the previous issue was fixed and will let you guys know what will they tell me.

#20 February 6 2021

mazendia

Hello,

I was able to upgrade late last month to VDSL, and they told me it would take effect at the beginning of this month.
Well, I called a couple of times and today I was told that yesterday it was changed and that it would take a couple of days for it to switch on my router (?). They said it would auto-adjust to VDSL, which I kind of doubt it will.

At the moment, I tried changing the dsl settings to VDSL with VLAN ID = 0, but it wouldn't connect. ADSL works fine though.

Should I just wait for them to hopefully change it sometime soon or is there something else in the settings I should test out?

I already submitted a ticket regarding the issue and was closed as resolved.

Thanks

#21 February 6 2021

MoeMilord

It could be a technical problem. A had a technician come and take a look & fixed some stuff.

#22 February 6 2021

mazendia

MoeMilord wrote:

It could be a technical problem. A had a technician come and take a look & fixed some stuff.

I guess I’ll give it till monday and see if they can send someone out if it’s still not working.

#23 February 24 2021

mazendia

Hey, I just got upgraded to VDSL after 24 days of waiting.
My router stats are the following:

Upstream    Downstream
Current Rate (kbps)        4434                 18916
Max Rate (kbps)                4434                 24027
SNR Margin (dB)                 10.1                   9.9
Line Attenuation (dB)          7.8                  21.9
Errors (pkts)                            0                      5

For some reason, no speed test on any device (wired or wireless) will reach any of the speeds stated by the router. The speed test gets around 7mbps down and 1mbps up. Does anyone know the reason for this? Should I change the VDSL Annex type from auto?

Also, I know I can expect ping to be a little bit worse on VDSL but it almost doubled (from 50ms to ~80-90 ms), is this normal or could it be possible that they re-enabled Interleaved mode when they switched me to the new port?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

#24 March 1 2021

wollyka

It seems that they are capping you which is weird. What was your old speed on adsl? 8 Mbps?
Interleaved mode is enabled by default

Last edited by wollyka (March 1 2021)

#25 March 2 2021

mazendia

wollyka wrote:

It seems that they are capping you which is weird. What was your old speed on adsl? 8 Mbps?
Interleaved mode is enabled by default

I called them regarding interleaving and they re-disabled it which got my ping back to where it was.
On ADSL my speed on the router was 1/15 mbps up/down (with a max of 1/17mbps) but effectively reaching 10-11mbps down on different speedtests. Speedtests are still giving me the same results, and the upload speed spikes up to 3mbps but quickly goes back down to <1mbps.

Could they be capping my speed from their side? And what reason would make them do that?

Board footer