LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 October 11 2020

friend.evil

Re: DSL issue when elevator is working

@leblinux that wont help, if there is one phone line causing interference after moving the phone box it wont do anything at all, do you only have one block in your building?

#27 October 11 2020

leblinux

Yes only 1 building, when they arrive will troubleshoot other phone lines if its causing the problem before they move the phone thanks for the Tip.

#28 October 11 2020

friend.evil

glad to help, while they are installing the phone lines open anydesk to remotely connect to your PC to check the SNR Margin after turning on the Elevator, if there are no issues then plug the 2nd phone line and turn on the elevator again, keep it up until you finally find the phone line causing the issue and ask whoever is causing this to change the cable.

Edit: You don't even need to wait long, get a punch down tool and remove one by one, memorize their location by taking a a picture of each, Ogero wont bother wasting time on this.

Last edited by friend.evil (October 11 2020)

#29 October 12 2020

leblinux

friend.evil wrote:

glad to help, while they are installing the phone lines open anydesk to remotely connect to your PC to check the SNR Margin after turning on the Elevator, if there are no issues then plug the 2nd phone line and turn on the elevator again, keep it up until you finally find the phone line causing the issue and ask whoever is causing this to change the cable.

Edit: You don't even need to wait long, get a punch down tool and remove one by one, memorize their location by taking a a picture of each, Ogero wont bother wasting time on this.

100% thanks!

#30 October 12 2020

john

friend.evil wrote:

I don't think its legal to even touch that box, but since Ogero wont bother helping, "you gotta do what you gotta do".

#31 October 18 2020

ggtks

I've been looking into this because fiber deployment stopped literal meters away from my house. Since they can't start until [political situation stabilizes] because the Ministry is in charge of approving more deployment, I want to improve my DSL connection, which has been deteriorating. I used to get a very reliable 200kB/s before, and for the past few months the speed has been closer to 50kB/s during "good" hours. I work and study online so I really need every bit of bandwidth I can get.

Called the ISP and after enough bickering they sent me a technician. Turns out my Ogero box was getting 4mb and none of it was reaching my floor. The wiring in my building is very bad (I don't need to explain on this forum ha), so I'm assuming there's some new interference from the electrical wiring and the elevator, pumps, and so on in the electrical room.

Thinking of either 1. pulling a new cat5/6 cable through the building to replace the old cable, which should be better shielded and in better condition, or 2. just deploying a cat 5/6 cable from outside into the apartment. This will need some extra rigging to get the cable to the router. I'll also have to move the landline (and I'll have a ton of useless phone plugs) but it's worth it. There are power lines running along both options though, so I guess I'll still have synchronization hiccups when the power switches, but 50kB->theoretical 4mb is worth the effort.

I hate that I have to do this while every other house on my street has been on fiber since July.

Board footer