LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 24 2020

automata

Remote Jobs in Lebanon

Hi guys,

Since most offshore companies are benefiting from the economical situation in Lebanon and paying their employees in Lollars (dollars stuck in Lebanese banks) although these companies source their money from outside, this has triggered the need for lebanese people to apply for remote jobs online.

Some questions arise here:

1) is it legal to reside in Lebanon and work remotely for a company in US or wherever, eventhough this company may not be registered in Lebanon?

2) if yes, can you please advise about job searching techniques and ways to find these kind of jobs?

Last edited by automata (September 24 2020)

#2 September 25 2020

xerxes

Re: Remote Jobs in Lebanon

from a legal perspective you are allowed to work remotely and you are required to file for tax as you are a resident of Lebanon.

Note that if you do not not file for tax no one will know (bank secrecy). I am not saying you should do that, but if you do no body will know

#3 September 25 2020

anayman_k7

What if I traveled to Europe and kept working remotely on Projects for clients in the Arabic Gulf? Am I also supposed to file for tax? Will they know?

#4 September 27 2020

Flakk

As long as you dont mention anything, they will never know. Go for it.

#5 September 27 2020

Johnaudi

anayman_k7 wrote:

What if I traveled to Europe and kept working remotely on Projects for clients in the Arabic Gulf? Am I also supposed to file for tax? Will they know?

If you're getting your money to europe, I would highly advise you to file your taxes. Also, if you're applying for the EU Blue Card, don't expect yourself to be able to work anything relating to your same field of study (that you have applied for the EU Blue Card) in the first year or two of your work.

Nevertheless, one 'work-around' would be sending your money to a fresh dollars account here in Lebanon, then perhaps grabbing the cash once you get back here. If you're looking to get the citizenship anytime soon I'd say stay as legal as possible, they aren't as lenient as we are.

Last edited by Johnaudi (September 27 2020)

#6 September 28 2020

Cpt.Majed

Flakk wrote:

As long as you dont mention anything, they will never know. Go for it.

A stable influx of money (big amount) into his bank account will trigger a red flag on the long run, if he can't provide proof that this money is family support or wtvr.

Also, the government can request your annual income paper from your bank to see how truthful you're being about filing your taxes.
So no, don't fuck with the Europeans.

Ideally, you want to find a remote job in Europe so that way you don't pay taxes in Europe and can probably evade income tax in Lebanon. Down side, you'll have to stay in Lebanon

Last edited by Cpt.Majed (September 28 2020)

#7 September 29 2020

user

In Canada the banks themselves report actively on any client that receives a check or money transfer for over 10 000$. So it is not unheard of.
https://ca.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0ME14720150318 < this is for france.

So perhaps you need to be paid a salary and not a lump sum for doing a big project and things may work out.

Board footer