LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 13 2020

friend.evil

DSL issue when elevator is working

hello,

When the elevator is working its way up or down, the SNR Margin downstream falls from 11.0 to 0.2 and the connection goes off and then comes back extremely slow, I am subscribed to 4Mbps unlimited and it goes down to 2Mbps until I restart the router.

Did anyone experience this issue and is able to help?

thank you

Last edited by friend.evil (September 13 2020)

#2 September 13 2020

nosense

Re: DSL issue when elevator is working

if you search the posts you can find many with the same problem, phone cables in your building are wired with the elevator electricity wires which is causing interference.

The only solution is to re-wire your DSL line in another way other than through the elevator directly to the phone box.

#3 September 13 2020

xazbrat

nosense wrote:

if you search the posts you can find many with the same problem, phone cables in your building are wired with the elevator electricity wires which is causing interference.

The only solution is to re-wire your DSL line in another way other than through the elevator directly to the phone box.

And that may still not be 100% effective.  The problem(s) lie in the proximity of the electrical cables to the phone lines and the lack of  a ground that could eliminate most of the interference.  There are EMI filters that can be installed on elevators---they used to cost a couple of thousand $$'s but they are next to useless if the building and elevator are not properly grounded.  Your best best it to install an external line using Cat5/6 from the phone box to your apartment---it is not perfect, but will help.  If you can get some pvc pipe and run your cables in there, should be able to make it last a lot longer as it will protect the cables from the elements.

Good luck

#4 September 13 2020

friend.evil

nosense wrote:

I did that already, moved a new cat6 cable for both phone lines to pass through my room to the hallway and still same issue. When I called the ISP Ogero Maintenance guy, he came and checked the issue directly from the box itself, when the elevator was working the issue was even in the box directly, I want to call the elevator maintenance but not sure what to tell them to do.

Edit: the CAT6 cables are directly wired to the BOX downstairs, I also 2 DSL connections which is why I use cat6 both 4Mbps Unlimited and both have the same issue, I dont care if I have to install a surge protector downstairs, I just want to find a way for this issue to be solved

Last edited by friend.evil (September 13 2020)

#5 September 13 2020

wollyka

Ogero must change the location of the phone box. If you know someone in Ogero, it could help.
The other solution is to ground the elevator. Call the elevator guy and see how much it costs

#6 September 13 2020

friend.evil

wollyka wrote:

Ogero must change the location of the phone box. If you know someone in Ogero, it could help.
The other solution is to ground the elevator. Call the elevator guy and see how much it costs

thanks I will call the elevator guy 1st to check the cost and time it will take and ask him how far away the phone box should be for there to be no interference

#7 September 14 2020

john

Its a common problem i guess, its not Ogero box itself but the main Ogero Telephone cable ( multi-pair cable ) that is entering the building next to the power cables ( EDL and Generator main cables ) or crossing path with the elevator cable, causing electromagnetic interference.

Imo earthing is not a solution if the above is true, since each time high current is used (like an elevator) its will generate and electromagnetic field around the power cables, that will cut the internet.

Question is can it be fixed by changing cables routes, having the minimum required spacing? who can do such job? Ogero? i dont think so.

Lets us know of any updates, Good luck!

#8 September 15 2020

ozone1864

Hi all,
After 1 year with this problem, today was able to identify the problem which is the elevator.
Ogero visited me like 10 times and changed cable cat6 but problem still the same.
I connected modem directly to ogero box and parameters were good:
    Downstream    Upstream    
SNR Margin
:
10.2    13.5    db
Line Attenuation
:
33.4     23.2    db
Data Rate
:
11505    1023    kbps
Max Rate
:
12130      1080    kbps
POWER
:
19.3    12.1    dbm
CRC
: 0    8    

After calling the elevator :

Downstream    Upstream    
SNR Margin
:
0.9    13.6    db
Line Attenuation
:
33.4    23.2    db
Data Rate
:
8555    1023    kbps
Max Rate
:
8556    1080    kbps
POWER
:
19.2    12.1    dbm
CRC
:
12240    8

Anyone solved this problem ? Tomorrow ogero guy will visit me and check the problem.

#9 September 16 2020

ozone1864

friend.evil wrote:

hello,

When the elevator is working its way up or down, the SNR Margin downstream falls from 11.0 to 0.2 and the connection goes off and then comes back extremely slow, I am subscribed to 4Mbps unlimited and it goes down to 2Mbps until I restart the router.

Did anyone experience this issue and is able to help?

thank you

Hi i am facing exactly the same problem.
Are you using inverter in the building for the elevator to work on the generator when EDL is off ?

#10 September 16 2020

nuclearcat

Guys, also question, ask about power of your VFD/elevator/inverter, in KV/KW/whatever.
I might search for filters/parameters for you, if there is affordable way to solve this problem and will get what is approx price of these stuff outside, so you dont get scammed.

#11 September 17 2020

ozone1864

nuclearcat wrote:

Guys, also question, ask about power of your VFD/elevator/inverter, in KV/KW/whatever.
I might search for filters/parameters for you, if there is affordable way to solve this problem and will get what is approx price of these stuff outside, so you dont get scammed.

Yes please, We are using inverter to convert from triphase to monophase electic current. Today will test with out it to check if its causing this problem. But I am pretty sure it is the reason behind this.

#12 September 17 2020

ozone1864

Note: Ogero box in the room is not covered with its case, does this  make it vulnerable to interference ?

#13 September 17 2020

nuclearcat

I will be more concerned about proximity of power cables to ogero signal cables.
I dont know also about safety standards, but in my home country it is stricly forbidden to have low voltage to high voltage also by safety reasons.

But messy and non-shielded cable boxes (which is quite common in Lebanon) can be issue too.

#14 September 17 2020

Adnan

ozone1864 wrote:

Note: Ogero box in the room is not covered with its case, does this  make it vulnerable to interference ?

Our box is on the ground floor and I live on the 5th out of 7 floors where I have the same problem.

When  I tried directly at the box with an electrician the issue didn't happen at all.

Needless to say, I never found a filter to resolve the issue and am just living with lowering my speed to keep the connection stable.

Last edited by Adnan (September 17 2020)

#15 September 17 2020

ozone1864

Guys today Ogero came to the neighborhood and cut the main cable coming to the building from the "mwazze3" . They assumed that the cable is causing the problem I hope so. Because there is no other solution if ogero solution now didn't work. I am afraid that I will leave dsl community after 10 years of good experience with dsl.

Last edited by ozone1864 (September 17 2020)

#16 September 19 2020

leblinux

I Discovered this issue 2 years ago and posted it here up till now problem never solved I contacted Ogero to move the phone box away from electric room and none came. Opened many tickets and no one came.

#17 September 19 2020

ozone1864

leblinux wrote:

I Discovered this issue 2 years ago and posted it here up till now problem never solved I contacted Ogero to move the phone box away from electric room and none came. Opened many tickets and no one came.

After many calls and begging ogero to solve the problem (They were informed many times that elevator is causing this problem)
Yesterday Ogero came and cut the main reference cable which is providing three buildings in the neighborhood as per them it is the main problem.
We have to wait for monday to see when they fix the cable if the problem will be solved.
They said the main reference cable make such problems when its defective it can be vulnerable to interference.

#18 September 19 2020

ozone1864

Adnan wrote:
ozone1864 wrote:

Our box is on the ground floor and I live on the 5th out of 7 floors where I have the same problem.

When  I tried directly at the box with an electrician the issue didn't happen at all.

Needless to say, I never found a filter to resolve the issue and am just living with lowering my speed to keep the connection stable.

Lol the same thing happened to me 6th months ago when ogero electrician came to  my house he said that "Best solution for you is to downgrade to 4mbps". I told him "Jesus who can still live with 4mbps".

Last edited by ozone1864 (September 19 2020)

#19 September 19 2020

friend.evil

I found a solution today and took me 10 hours of work, so the elevator is only PART of the problem, what I noticed is the internet was extremely slow and disconnecting more at night, and working again in the Morning.

I went downstairs at 6am to check why and saw the Guard Opening the Door in the Garage and turning off the 4 lights in the Garage, the second he turned the off the lights, the connection was working perfectly and SNR Margin went up from 6 to 15, this will be hard to explain but will try, the elevator turns the SNR Margin down from 15 to 9 when activated but the connection is still working perfectly, only at night when he turns on the Lights the SNR Margin drops to 6 and when the elevator is on, the connection drops completely and then recalibrates at 1.8Mbps Download Speed instead of 4Mbps and stays this way the whole night.

What I did is look how the lights were wired and there was a faulty cable causing noise and issues, replacing it was hard so we moved the faulty cable away from the phone box, the phone box is at the top so we moved the faulty cable to the bottom, now the SNR Margin only drops to 10.4 when the lights are on and no more disconnections when the elevator is working. I have 2 connections to my house from Ogero, 1st one is receiving 4Mbps (up to 6Mbps) and 2nd one is receiving 2.6Mbps (calling tomorrow to change the location in the phone box because now its from their side) when elevator and lights are on, so anyone having issues needs to turn off each conductor one at a time to see which is causing a conflict and move it aside, this will help the SNR Margin stay in the safe side if the elevator is on.

Last edited by friend.evil (September 20 2020)

#20 September 22 2020

ozone1864

friend.evil wrote:

I found a solution today and took me 10 hours of work, so the elevator is only PART of the problem, what I noticed is the internet was extremely slow and disconnecting more at night, and working again in the Morning.

I went downstairs at 6am to check why and saw the Guard Opening the Door in the Garage and turning off the 4 lights in the Garage, the second he turned the off the lights, the connection was working perfectly and SNR Margin went up from 6 to 15, this will be hard to explain but will try, the elevator turns the SNR Margin down from 15 to 9 when activated but the connection is still working perfectly, only at night when he turns on the Lights the SNR Margin drops to 6 and when the elevator is on, the connection drops completely and then recalibrates at 1.8Mbps Download Speed instead of 4Mbps and stays this way the whole night.

What I did is look how the lights were wired and there was a faulty cable causing noise and issues, replacing it was hard so we moved the faulty cable away from the phone box, the phone box is at the top so we moved the faulty cable to the bottom, now the SNR Margin only drops to 10.4 when the lights are on and no more disconnections when the elevator is working. I have 2 connections to my house from Ogero, 1st one is receiving 4Mbps (up to 6Mbps) and 2nd one is receiving 2.6Mbps (calling tomorrow to change the location in the phone box because now its from their side) when elevator and lights are on, so anyone having issues needs to turn off each conductor one at a time to see which is causing a conflict and move it aside, this will help the SNR Margin stay in the safe side if the elevator is on.

Good Job man, the thing is in my building the elevator is the main and only problem.
Yesterday ogero came and moved my reference to another building next to mine for testing and no problem happened there.
Today they will come and move the phone box outside the electricity room to check.

#21 September 22 2020

leblinux

ozone1864 wrote:
friend.evil wrote:

Good Job man, the thing is in my building the elevator is the main and only problem.
Yesterday ogero came and moved my reference to another building next to mine for testing and no problem happened there.
Today they will come and move the phone box outside the electricity room to check.

Great! Keep us updated please

#22 September 27 2020

friend.evil

ozone1864 wrote:
friend.evil wrote:

The Elevator issue was a known problem from 6 years ago and I was aware of that, but the lights are what completely killed the connection, when the electrician came he removed the 4th cable connected to the 4th light and everything went back to normal, I always see the SNR Margin dropping when the elevator is working but it doesn't affect me too much anymore, I asked the electrician on the elevator issue (He is really good) and said there is a faulty wire from the elevator causing this issue and when the elevator is not in standby mode there will be an interference, the solution is to get the electrician and the Elevator maintenance to replace the faulty cable, hope this helps.

#23 October 10 2020

leblinux

Ozone1864 Did Ogero came and moved your phone box outside electric room? Whats the status?

#24 October 11 2020

friend.evil

Update: issue was fixed, the generator was moved to another block in the same building and that caused the cable interference to be non existent, the other solution is to remove every phone cable from the phone box one by one and then power on the elevator to see which phone cable is causing the issue, because if one phone line is causing interference->all cables will as well. The Elevator Company wont help so dont bother calling them for anything unless the Elevator isn't working

#25 October 11 2020

leblinux

I have a ticket with Ogero pending 2 months to move the phonebox outside Electric room.

Board footer