LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 31 2020

TheJackal

Port Forwarding Problem

hi all,

i have local server and i want people to access my server from the internet to communicate with specific application on specific port  , the problem is : i setup every thing and i did the port forwarding on my router and when try to access the server the connection is failed and the port appeared to be closed.

i tried the following : i did setup ssh tunneling to use port forwarding through it and all worked fine!
i also tried to use VPN  service that provides port forwarding and also worked for me with no problem 

you may ask if these methods work, what is the problem? well , using vpn or ssh will impose performance degradation and the response will become slow , and every time power is out or something wrong with internet  i have to run some commands to make it work again so it is hard for me to keep it that way.

i was wondering could be my ISP blocking all the ports in the connection? and why would they do that (i know security is an issue, but they should consider these situations)? is it possible that there are some open ports that the ISP allow and i can use them?

my ISP is : T.H GLOBAL VISION

please i need to find a way to solve this issue so guide me through this .

p.s : sorry for my bad English

Regards

Last edited by TheJackal (July 31 2020)

#2 July 31 2020

DNA

Re: Port Forwarding Problem

Well you need to have public ip and if i am not mistaken ISPs here block port 80 and 443

#3 August 1 2020

TheJackal

DNA wrote:

Well you need to have public ip and if i am not mistaken ISPs here block port 80 and 443

Every device connected to the internet needs Public IP mate ,can't connect  without one, you mean static IP? Some people said to me port forwarding works with dynamic IP and yeah both ports 80,443 are blocked

I want to add this thing, when i enabled Remote management on my router i could access it from the internet and for this to work port 80 should be open, that's confusing

Regards

#4 August 1 2020

DNA

No I do mean public IP, what you get on your router is a private IP from the ISP which is basically natted to a Random public IP on their routers which means you can't forward anything unless you get a public IP on your router random or static doesn't matter for port forwarding only matters for DNS.
Now if you have a public IP on your router try setting up your server to use a weird port for http and see if it works

#5 August 1 2020

rolf

TheJackal wrote:

Every device connected to the internet needs Public IP mate ,can't connect  without one

A device (including your router) can be assigned a private IP and still connect to the internet by going through a NAT firewall.

If this is the case, meaning your router has a private IP on the external interface, then your ISP must do the port forwarding for you.

Or just use a tunnel solution like you mentioned, with a VPN or VPS.

Last edited by rolf (August 1 2020)

#6 August 2 2020

TheJackal

DNA wrote:

No I do mean public IP, what you get on your router is a private IP from the ISP which is basically natted to a Random public IP on their routers which means you can't forward anything unless you get a public IP on your router random or static doesn't matter for port forwarding only matters for DNS.
Now if you have a public IP on your router try setting up your server to use a weird port for http and see if it works

ok got it mate ,but in my case the router has a public ip address class B (or should i say classless because of the subnet mask used ) and is not in the private range of class B (172.16.0.0-->172.31.255.255)

and i did setup the Apache service and gave it another port ,but still no luck !

Regards

#7 August 2 2020

TheJackal

rolf wrote:
TheJackal wrote:

Every device connected to the internet needs Public IP mate ,can't connect  without one

A device (including your router) can be assigned a private IP and still connect to the internet by going through a NAT firewall.

If this is the case, meaning your router has a private IP on the external interface, then your ISP must do the port forwarding for you.

Or just use a tunnel solution like you mentioned, with a VPN or VPS.

Ok mate , as i mentioned in the previous post the router has a public IP and yeah i understand NAT , the network inside the house is private class C and when a device tries to access the internet the private address is translated to public address.

i think i should give them a call to find out if they can help with this .

Regards

Last edited by TheJackal (August 2 2020)

#8 August 4 2020

rolf

I dont know what weird stuff ISP do beside blocking, even if they give you a public IP. Personally I would stick to having a tunnel (VPS etc) but if you want to call give it a try, let us know.

#9 August 4 2020

nuclearcat

TheJackal send me username in lebgeeks pm, i will try to arrange free real ip for you.

#10 August 4 2020

TheJackal

rolf wrote:

I dont know what weird stuff ISP do beside blocking, even if they give you a public IP. Personally I would stick to having a tunnel (VPS etc) but if you want to call give it a try, let us know.

well, i did called them and they said the following which i don't fully understand : "dear sir , what you have is not a real public IP , it's fake one ! you should buy a real IP for this to work ! "

and by the way i'm using this method , i have VPS with real IP and all ports are opened and i'm using one of these ports to tunnel my traffic to my local server via ssh , you would ask your self why to use the local server when you have VPS ?! well, the local server has a special resource connected to it and the data is access only through local server .

anyway thanks for the great help mates .

God Bless Beirut and we pray for Lebanon

Regards

#11 August 4 2020

TheJackal

nuclearcat wrote:

TheJackal send me username in lebgeeks pm, i will try to arrange free real ip for you.

OK friend , I will contact you via pm .

Thanks for the help

Last edited by TheJackal (August 4 2020)

Board footer