LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 July 29 2020

DNA

Re: Contact Cleaner

you are mixing things together and you make me sound as if I am a novice and do not know what am doing I've been in the electronics world almost my whole life and ive handled all sorts of equipment what I am telling you is standard procedure that every electronics engineer/technican/expert knows.

if a board has conformal coating it would be another story you need to remove it anyways to repair it and paint some UV solder mask or proper conformal coating if you wanna stay professional no one will ever dip a board in alcohol if it has conformal coating cause it is pointless i previously said the purpose of dipping in alcohol in the first place is not to clean it but to remove any water from cleaning and unfortunate spill or moisture and dry the board fast so alcohol is used to displace the water that may cause issues if kept under chips as mentioned,so conformally coated boards won't be dipped in alcohol because its counter intuitive and doesn't make sense its already water proof.

Regarding denatonium man you are overthinking things it is available in some denatured alcohols as low as 0.0006% that is a negligible amount to worry about and even then once dry and not free ions it doesn't conduct electricity.

Yes using denatured alcohol with unknown contents is not ideal and shouldn't be used professionally i am not trying to endorse it professionally but it works for 90% of cases if it is 95+% ethanol i don't know what boards are you designing and for how long you have been working with electronics, unless you are working with multi GHZ RF transmission  of some military grade equipment and even then i would just use regular 99% ispropylalcohol heck i would dip an entire computer board in regular 95% ethanol as long as u do right drying procedures, and not just turn it on second day hoping it dried.

you are concerned about high voltage circuits i am not sure what you consider high voltage on a PCB, but in whatever case using alcohol is fine and won't do any harm.

for high frequency stuff or low impedance sensing circuitry well they are sensitive for minute conductivity across pads but again using alcohol is 100% safe.

I am doing this professionally and for work am not splashing boards with alcohol just for the sake of it certain cleaning procedure require that and it can be handy for detecting short circuits. and no i don't wait for them to dry in air and hoping the next day nothing is under chips any electronics expert knows this procedure, you are making a well known process of working with circuit boards sound unnecessary and will damage boards which is definitely not remotely close to being true.

#27 September 8 2020

LifeEngineer

I checked Karout Mall website and searched for all sort of things related to "contact cleaner" but couldn't find any such product.
Do you reckon I should visit the store or maybe look elsewhere?

#28 September 8 2020

AvoK95

LifeEngineer wrote:

I checked Karout Mall website and searched for all sort of things related to "contact cleaner" but couldn't find any such product.
Do you reckon I should visit the store or maybe look elsewhere?

Karout Mall doesn't list all their items on the items. In fact, most items are not posted there. I guess due to the differentiation of stock - they keep bringing the same product that is slightly different.

Board footer