LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 28 2020

Johnaudi

Publish a Research Paper

Hello,
I've been halfway through a nice ML project of which its field doesn't have much documentation, and would consider the project to be an essential part in the roots of cyber security and social engineering. I've came to the point where I'd be writing the analysis of this project in the form of a Research paper, but my question is, what is the best way to publish it?

Institutions and universities here in Lebanon are known to publish the paper for you in return that the professor that is taking care of your paper slaps his name onto it (so he can collect furthermore publications), knowing I'm young in this regard, it would partially discredit my work in the future, thinking my helping doctor did most of the job (say, once applying to a PhD or similar)

Thank you in advance!

#2 July 28 2020

stereotype

Re: Publish a Research Paper

I'd say keep it to yourself unless you want other people taking credit for your work.

#3 July 29 2020

sero

It would be very difficult to publish it without a known Dr. name as coauthor
Publication and journal judges will most probably just ignore your paper when they see a yet-unfamiliar name as they have hundreds of papers to review from "known" people in the field.
Also publishing a paper is hard work, especially if you've not done it before. Its not just about the topic and research... There's the formatting, the proof, the math, the testing (you may need access to a supercomputer or a cluster ) all which an academic person can greatly help you with.

Final point, if you're applying to PHD later on, the university will be surprised that you published on your own, in a bad way... they will question your ability to collaborate and work in teams.

Last edited by sero (July 29 2020)

#4 July 29 2020

Johnaudi

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated! I'll request some help from my university professor if that's the case.

Board footer