LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 28 2020

Shix

TP Link VR2100

Was wondering about the new'ish VR2100 ADSL/VDSL modem/router. Is it any good?
Does it have a good chipset and is it worth buying over the VR900 or the VR2800 or other modem/routers?

#2 July 19 2020

Shix

Re: TP Link VR2100

So I have been searching around and found this forum post on whirlpool and they were saying it has a mediatek chipset. Can anyone confirm that. Also do you think that chip will behave poorly in our country? I don’t know much about networking, so if anyone could elaborate on the chipset topic I’d appreciate it.
Was checking with Top Technologies and the router should now be available in Lebanon

Last edited by Shix (July 19 2020)

#3 July 20 2020

AvoK95

What I did was I got a mid-range router and loaded OpenWRT and put my already existing modem into Bridge Mode and then let the router do the PPPoE connection. It cost me only $50 at the time and now I don't have to replace my whole router if my modem goes bad.

#4 July 20 2020

Shix

The thing is I don’t have a vdsl modem to start with. So was thinking of getting a good modem/router to get it going. Now thinking if I should go for that VR2100 or go for the VR600 or VR900 and then if I want to upgrade down the road I’ll get a router and set the existing to bridge mode. However, I don’t know if these routers will be of use if I upgrade to fiber.
Ehhh, if someone can guide me on these stuff

#5 July 21 2020

wollyka

Avoid mediatek chipsets in Lebanon if you can. Go for the VR600 it is good enough or better do what AvoK95 did. (I did just that, i am using the modem supplied by IDM in bridge mode and i bought a AC68U router)

I have two VDSL modems, the one given by IDM (and has a broadcom chipset) and another one (Asus DSL-N16). The Asus has a mediatek chipset. It syncs with higher speeds and you can control the SNR margin. However,  It registers at least 10X higher CRC errors than the broadcom one.
If your line has already a lot of CRC errors in DSL mode (or if it is noisy), you will even get more CRC errors in VDSL mode. not good

#6 July 23 2020

Shix

How do I check my CRC errors, checking the ADSL page on my router there is a place for CRC Errors and it has 0. Is that possible?

Adsl Line Status    SHOWTIME.L0
Adsl Mode    G992.5
Up Stream    957 kbps
Down Stream    18043 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream    11
Attenuation Up Stream    6
Attainable Up Rate    1103 kbps
Attainable Down Rate    20780 kbps
SNR Margin Down Stream    10.3
SNR Margin Up Stream    10.2
Vendor ID    RETK
Firmware Version    4926e811
CRC Errors    0
Up Stream BER    0e-7
Down Stream BER    0e-7
Up Output Power    7
Down Output Power    12
Down Stream ES    25
Up Stream ES    0
Down Stream SES    22
Up Stream SES    0
Down Stream UAS    23
Up Stream UAS    0

Last edited by Shix (July 23 2020)

#7 July 23 2020

wollyka

Yes it is possible. Your line is not noisy and the ISP has probably enabled interleaving on your line (more latency but less errors).
Also it depends on the up-time. The longer your DSL is up, the higher chances that you will get CRC errors. Monitor the stats for at least 24 hours if you can.

#8 July 24 2020

Shix

Ehh went back home yesterday and seems my brother already ordered the TP-Link VR2100 although I told him to wait till I confirm if it will be good. Seems its the same price as the VR900 from what he told me. Guess I'll have to go with it and if it gives me errors maybe I get another modem.
Also If you need me to test stuff when the VR2100 arrives tell me since I don't know much about them and it could benefit the community

#9 July 24 2020

wollyka

From your stats, I don't think that you will face any problems honestly. Maybe a few CRC errors (but it is normal, i get those all the times, if they aren't in the thousands during a very short time (a few seconds), you won't notice them)

#10 July 24 2020

Shix

I'll see if the router arrives today and see. Excited to know what my new download and upload speeds would be

#11 July 24 2020

wollyka

Btw, You can switch to VDSL. Your line stats prove it. You can easily hit 25 Mbps+ on VDSL (if not more)
Did you ask your ISP to switch you to VDSL (if your central has it)?

#12 July 25 2020

Shix

I told IDM to switch me to VDSL when they started providing it. But I told them not to send a router cause I will be getting one. Annndd I am just getting one now after like 3 months of them switching me over to VDSL. Although I don’t know if they really did the switch since I didn’t have the router to check.
I also just checked my router stats
Adsl Mode    G992.5
Up Stream    943 kbps
Down Stream    17694 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream    10
Attainable Up Rate    1096 kbps
Attainable Down Rate    20400 kbps
SNR Margin Up Stream    10.3
Vendor ID    RETK
CRC Errors    221
Up Stream BER    0e-7
Down Stream BER    0e-7
Up Output Power    7
Down Output Power    12
Down Stream ES    19
Up Stream ES    0
Down Stream SES    11
Up Stream SES    0
Down Stream UAS    0
Up Stream UAS    0

221 CRC errors.

Last edited by Shix (July 25 2020)

#13 July 25 2020

Adnan

It's really pathetic that the upstream rate is less than 1Mbps for the most of us

#14 July 25 2020

wollyka

Shix wrote:

I told IDM to switch me to VDSL when they started providing it. But I told them not to send a router cause I will be getting one. Annndd I am just getting one now after like 3 months of them switching me over to VDSL. Although I don’t know if they really did the switch since I didn’t have the router to check.
I also just checked my router stats
Adsl Mode    G992.5
Up Stream    943 kbps
Down Stream    17694 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream    10
Attainable Up Rate    1096 kbps
Attainable Down Rate    20400 kbps
SNR Margin Up Stream    10.3
Vendor ID    RETK
CRC Errors    221
Up Stream BER    0e-7
Down Stream BER    0e-7
Up Output Power    7
Down Output Power    12
Down Stream ES    19
Up Stream ES    0
Down Stream SES    11
Up Stream SES    0
Down Stream UAS    0
Up Stream UAS    0

221 CRC errors.

They didn't switch you since you are using adsl2+ now. When they do you cannot use adsl. (i am with IDM VDSL too, and they took them one month after i got their VDSL modem to switch me to a VDSL port)
My upstream is 7 Mbps and downstream is between 24 and 30 Mbps

CRC 221 is nothing, don't worry about it. I have around 8000 (but my modem has been up since more than 72 hours, and i get more CRC errors when my neighbor lighten up his kitchen (his has multiple LED installed that increase noise on my line). I get sometimes 100 CRC over a day, and other days i get around 400 CRC or more during one hour.

Last edited by wollyka (July 25 2020)

#15 July 28 2020

Shix

Oh, okay. Damn How did that guy tell me he switched me to VDSL and whenever you change to a VDSL router you get the changes. I'll have to call again I guess to make sure I am on VDSL.
Seems the router was delivered today, will check myself when I get back home

Last edited by Shix (July 28 2020)

#16 July 28 2020

Shix

So I set up the router, the speed in the same room is about 30Mbps/10Mbps. In other rooms I am barley getting internet. Am I doing something wrong? Getting an unstable connection of like 4-6Mbps/6-7Mbps in other rooms. Don’t know if its the range, but my old 20$ router was giving 18Mbps/1Mbps in all the house. Does anyone have this range issue with his VR900 or VR2800? Or any other VDSL router?

Can anyone tell me his settings for a tp link router?

Last edited by Shix (July 29 2020)

#17 July 29 2020

wollyka

What do you mean  unstable connection of like 4-6Mbps/6-7Mbps? do you mean the WI-FI speed?
or the modem sync speed? and how are you measuring it?

#18 July 29 2020

Shix

I mean down/up speed. I am using speedtest.net. In the same room as the router I am getting about 28-32Mbps down and about 10mbps upload. But leaving the room the speed becomes very unstable and the speed is less. The router is syncing to 10mbps upload, 30-40mbps download.

Current Rate (kbps)    10239    37620
Max Rate (kbps)    24671    46663
SNR Margin (dB)    18    9.8
Line Attenuation (dB)    1.5    13.2
Errors (pkts)    0    0

Atm sitting like 10m away in the other room. Speed test on my iphone is getting 0.5mbps up and down barley opening.

Last edited by Shix (July 29 2020)

#19 July 30 2020

xazbrat

That happens a lot in this country with the way the buildings are constructed.  First, check your signal when you get a direct line of site for the same distance.   If there is little or no degradation, then start working on changing the frequency of the wireless signal--you can use free version of a tool called inSSIDer to help with that and see if there is any other cross inference coming from somewhere else.

I got frustrated with the process and just ran a hard wire to another router in another section of the house and it solved the problem (just ran it through the empty space above the faux ceilings as neat as I could, and now 90% of the house has a decent connection.  I need to install one more too to get full coverage for the house.

#20 July 30 2020

wollyka

Check if you are using a 2.4 or a 5Ghz band and then try changing between bands and frequencies.

#21 July 30 2020

Shix

I am checking. The router seems to be working some times and some others the speed just get barley connectable. I don't know if its the number of devices but it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what happening and I am so frustrated I am about to ditch vdsl and just go back to adsl.

Board footer