LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 April 22 2020

sero

Re: Lebanese Banks Capital Control

m0ei wrote:

I'm receiving a transfer soon from abroad, I'll let you know. As far as I'm aware, fresh money are exempt from the latest circular.

If they give me LBP instead.... a massacre will happen.

Probably this new circular is on the bimonthly $$ limit that you can withdraw.
so instead of the 300$ bimonthly, you'd get LBP at 2600

However for fresh money its not mentioned in the circular. I doubt they'll implement it on fresh money as its now the only source of $$ getting into the country after Circular #551 was implemented (WU will give LBP instead of $$)

#102 April 22 2020

xazbrat

sero wrote:
m0ei wrote:

I'm receiving a transfer soon from abroad, I'll let you know. As far as I'm aware, fresh money are exempt from the latest circular.

If they give me LBP instead.... a massacre will happen.

Probably this new circular is on the bimonthly $$ limit that you can withdraw.
so instead of the 300$ bimonthly, you'd get LBP at 2600

However for fresh money its not mentioned in the circular. I doubt they'll implement it on fresh money as its now the only source of $$ getting into the country after Circular #551 was implemented (WU will give LBP instead of $$)

I am really confused about the circular and especially how it applies to 'fresh' money.  Most of the funds in my accounts are 'fresh' and if they aren't giving currency, it is a bigger theft at 1507.5 than 2600.  I have family which send money through me for my parents and I may have them start sending most of the money via Western Union instead of the bank until they get their shit straight.

The politicians don't know what to do and are leaving a bigger mess on their hands then what we started with these little incremental moves which aren't leading to nowhere.  Either give us capital controls or give us something coherent with an end game--I guess that is too much to ask.

#103 April 22 2020

xerxes

Fresh money is excluded from this circular.

More instructions to come up in the next dew days

#104 April 22 2020

Tech Guru

However,  these kind of circulars are throwing the ball to the Banks,  and commercial banks have a deep money greed. These kind of circulars are  giving banks more power of control to put people needs in their hands. Even if a circular doesn't mention anything about fresh money  to be given @ LBP × Set Parallel market rate ,  Banks in retrun , as some doing now,  say: We do not have fresh Dollar , we can give it to you in LBP. A person will protest /  shout /  fight with " darak" outside protecting  the banks. Either he wins for his / her rights  or he accepts to take them at 2600.

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 22 2020)

#105 June 8 2020

Kazouza

Do you guys have any idea if any debit card that is in LBP (any bank) still allows you to pay in $, even if it is a 10-15$ monthly limit?

#106 June 8 2020

vengeance666

Kazouza wrote:

Do you guys have any idea if any debit card that is in LBP (any bank) still allows you to pay in $, even if it is a 10-15$ monthly limit?

Credit Libanais, Fransabank (not sure about this one) at least in my experience. I don't know if there is something special about these 2 credit cards but I sure know they are salary cards in LBP. Still paying for Netflix from the Credit Libanais LBP card.

Last edited by vengeance666 (June 8 2020)

#107 June 8 2020

new_user

Kazouza wrote:

I have blom mini card. The last few months I was able to buy from aliexpress for up to 15$ per month. Payment fails if I exceed 15$.

Edit: just noticed you were asking for LBP card. Mini card is in dollars.

Last edited by new_user (June 8 2020)

#108 June 8 2020

wollyka

vengeance666 wrote:
Kazouza wrote:

Credit Libanais, Fransabank (not sure about this one) at least in my experience. I don't know if there is something special about these 2 credit cards but I sure know they are salary cards in LBP. Still paying for Netflix from the Credit Libanais LBP card.

You are lucky then, my CL card in LBP doesn't allow me to pay even 1$. Only local merchants and in LBP.

#109 June 9 2020

Padre

Byblos's website says up to 20$ if it's in LBP. Not sure tho, haven't tried it.

#110 June 10 2020

Super Official

Padre wrote:

Byblos's website says up to 20$ if it's in LBP. Not sure tho, haven't tried it.

Can confirm, bought using an LBP byblos debit card and everything was fine (15$ PSN card from Geekay Games)

#111 July 4 2020

kareem_nasser

Seems Bank Audi amended the limits earlier this month as most of us with Debit Cards received an sms notifying us of it.

Been trying to get in touch with them over 1570 but couldnt through, if someone has info please share.

#112 July 4 2020

Hybrid

kareem_nasser wrote:

Seems Bank Audi amended the limits earlier this month as most of us with Debit Cards received an sms notifying us of it.

Been trying to get in touch with them over 1570 but couldnt through, if someone has info please share.

they have a whatsapp. I asked first of july, they said $100 for USD accounts and $50 for lbp accounts, for debit cards.

#113 July 4 2020

kareem_nasser

Hybrid wrote:
kareem_nasser wrote:

they have a whatsapp. I asked first of july, they said $100 for USD accounts and $50 for lbp accounts, for debit cards.

Weird. It was 50 USD on my LBP Debit card earlier this year, so basically nothing changed.

#114 March 18 2021

Guitaret

Next month will be different for those of us getting paid in Lollars: 3900/13000 LL = 70% haircut, if not more as the rate is getting worse.
I am leaning forwards not to withdraw next month, what do you guys reckon?

#115 March 18 2021

nosense

Guitaret wrote:

Next month will be different for those of us getting paid in Lollars: 3900/13000 LL = 70% haircut, if not more as the rate is getting worse.

well it not a matter of withdrawing or not, right ? it's a matter of exchanging the LBP that you withdrew for USD.

#116 March 19 2021

Guitaret

nosense wrote:
Guitaret wrote:

well it not a matter of withdrawing or not, right ? it's a matter of exchanging the LBP that you withdrew for USD.

You realize that the 3900 thingy is bait for us so they get away from paying us our money back. It used to be a 50% loss but now it is a much bigger loss. If people have no problem taking their printed money, they will still print it, the rate will be much higher while they get away with their theft of the century.

#117 March 19 2021

nosense

Guitaret wrote:
nosense wrote:
Guitaret wrote:

You realize that the 3900 thingy is bait for us so they get away from paying us our money back. It used to be a 50% loss but now it is a much bigger loss. If people have no problem taking their printed money, they will still print it, the rate will be much higher while they get away with their theft of the century.

well of course I do know that, what I also know is that the dollars in the banks will only lose value with time not the other way around, If you have faith that you're gonna get your dollars back then by all means don't withdraw any.

#118 March 20 2021

VincentKeyboard

Perhaps one day the black market exchange rate will drop close to 3900.

#119 March 22 2021

Guitaret

BDL is announcing something soon regarding allowing banks and exchangers to trade dollars at a fixed rate. Another rabbit to pull out of a hat I know, but let's hope the rate comes down a bit.

#120 March 22 2021

jsaade

Guitaret wrote:

BDL is announcing something soon regarding allowing banks and exchangers to trade dollars at a fixed rate. Another rabbit to pull out of a hat I know, but let's hope the rate comes down a bit.

Usually whenever they implement something, the implementation is so bad that rate goes up.

#121 May 28 2021

ozone1864

Any idea about Mawarid Bank Debit Cards international pos limit these days ?

#122 July 5 2021

Hybrid

Are the banks giving $400 fresh yet? Is there some hard to get conditions?

#123 July 5 2021

samer
Admin

Here's a fairly detailed page by Bank Byblos on how they are treating BDL circular 158: https://www.byblosbank.com/about/faqs/1 … c-circular

Hybrid wrote:

Are the banks giving $400 fresh yet? Is there some hard to get conditions?

#124 July 5 2021

tricky

I find it hilarious that they force you to withdraw both $400 (fresh USD) and $200(they convert it to LBP at 12,000L.L). From what i heard you cant just withdraw $400.

Last edited by tricky (July 5 2021)

#125 July 10 2021

Tech Guru

In my opinion, Banque du Liban Circular No. 158 bore traps that topple a large part of the remaining dollars for depositors in banks. At the same time, the banks rejected it and tried to obstruct its progress towards implementation, refusing to release large amounts of dollars. The decision allows depositors to withdraw $400 in cash and $400, according to the exchange rate of 12,000 pounds. The banks returned from their decision, announcing the acceptance of the circular. The return raised questions, the indications of which soon emerged through the pledges that banks ask their depositors to sign. It is a legislation for theft, extortion and raising the rate of risk up to the point of losing money to the depositor.

The Governor of the Banque du Liban, Riad Salameh, wanted to relieve the pressure on his shoulders, and fend off accusations against him that he was covering and legalizing the banks’ seizure of depositors’ money. After a series of circulars that received a negative response, and that only succeeded in strengthening the control of the banks and preventing depositors from disposing of their money, without a legal reason, Salameh created his decision No. 158, placing through it the responsibility of holding deposits exclusively on banks, as if he was saying to depositors: I started the process of recovering your money, and what Banks only have to pay. Banks do not have enough liquidity to meet the withdrawal requests that will be poured on them in large quantities, so they expressed their unwillingness to implement the decision.

The conditions set by banks are illegal, to say the least, because they contribute to preventing depositors from withdrawing their deposits as they wish, especially since the Capital Control Law has not yet been officially approved. Second, the terms conflict with the core purpose of the central decision. Any mistake that the depositor may make in estimating the method of withdrawal and benefiting from the decision, may deprive him of his money, and not only of benefiting from the decision. To name a few, Fransabank has ended the extortion paper called terms. It contains items that turn the Central Bank’s decision into an opportunity for banks to get rid of their customers’ accounts and transfer their dollars to their coffers. One of the clauses states that the depositor acknowledges the bank’s acquittal, “a general and comprehensive release of any right or claim of any kind, as a result of implementing the content of the book.. relieving you of any liability of any kind or source, especially if the payment process stops for any reasons beyond the control of your bank.”

Even worse, it robs the applicant of the right to “object or discuss”. In another clause, the paper to be signed states: “In the event of any misuse by us, especially if we exceed the withdrawal limit stipulated in the aforementioned circular, your bank has the absolute right to suspend our benefit from the provisions of this circular and the provisions of Basic Circular No. under 3900 lira) under penalty of taking all measures it deems appropriate, including closing all our accounts with you, waiving any right to objection or discussion. That is, the depositor who may make a mistake or omission when using the bank card to pay, or for any reason whatsoever, will give up his money.

Also, the new clauses strike the principle of banking secrecy, which banks have long sung about, as the depositor must admit that he exempts the bank from the obligations of banking secrecy within the framework of implementing the decision “against any party, especially official and unofficial, the judicial authorities and the centralization of sub-private accounts with the Banque du Liban and the Committee Banking supervision. Also, the identity of the official and unofficial bodies that will see the accounts has not been determined.

6182a6e8-ed05-4d52-8808-4ffba5fd57eb-jpeg-1.jpg

Last edited by Tech Guru (July 10 2021)

Board footer