LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 14 2020

ironman

Data Recovery Services

Hello guys,

Do any one you recommend some professional place for Data Recovery?
I have a RAID5 NAS that has failed and i need to recover data urgently.

Thank you.

#2 June 14 2020

Kareem

Re: Data Recovery Services

ironman wrote:

Hello guys,

Do any one you recommend some professional place for Data Recovery?
I have a RAID5 NAS that has failed and i need to recover data urgently.

Thank you.

Same thing happened to me a month ago I accidentally created a new filesystem on a RAID1 arrray.

I recovered part of the files. Can you describe what happened exactly maybe we can give you a hand.

#3 June 15 2020

ironman

Yes, sure thing...

I currently have a Qnap NAS (5 Disk array with a RAID5), few weeks ago, one Disk failed, but the RAID kept working normally.
Then i decided to switch to my backup Qnap NAS (to set it as main), i created the folder structure and began the file replication.
Few minutes later, another disk has failed on the main NAS, the Volume has been unmounted and my files no longer accessible.

On the other hand, on my backup NAS, i had ALL my files (all data from the main NAS was copied there a week ago) there in a specific folder that i deleted (to save space) to perform the replication from the main NAS, and before beginning the migration, i deleted this folder.

Current situation:
Main NAS: Contains all data but volume is not mounted. No access to data at all...
Backup NAS: It used to contain all data but i deleted the main folder that included everything (NAS is working normally but no data...)

#4 June 15 2020

Kareem

That's surprisingly odd. Two drives failing within a short time.

When you say Disk failed you mean died or bad sectors?

If you're on Windows, I used a software to recover RAID 1 damaged filesystem ( disk was powering on ) PM me I'll send you a link.

On Linux I also tried Testdisk and photorec. Both are great softwares however depending on the disk size, it can take days to recover.

#5 June 16 2020

ironman

Hello Kareem,

Well, according to the NAS, Disk 2 became "Unrecognized", i tried to plug it on Windows, it worked normally....
I even tried to check the disk under Windows (Bad Sectors)...

Concerning the backup NAS, i read about this Photorec that i can copy to the NAS and launch it via Putty. And as you said, it can take days, and i would need a 6TB External drive to recover the files to, AND the worst thing is that it doesnt recover file names nor the folder structure... I think that would be my last resort.

#6 June 16 2020

Kareem

ironman wrote:

Hello Kareem,

Well, according to the NAS, Disk 2 became "Unrecognized", i tried to plug it on Windows, it worked normally....
I even tried to check the disk under Windows (Bad Sectors)...

Concerning the backup NAS, i read about this Photorec that i can copy to the NAS and launch it via Putty. And as you said, it can take days, and i would need a 6TB External drive to recover the files to, AND the worst thing is that it doesnt recover file names nor the folder structure... I think that would be my last resort.

It would recover filename if the filesystem is intact. Unless you have a corrupted file filesystem, you should be good to go.

I had two 10TB drives so it took me 1 week.

What I would do is connect the 3 drives to windows and install Linux ext4 reader it's a freeware ( https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/)

In my case windows was able to read the Raid array. Let me know how it goes from there as I've been there and I know the feeling...

#7 June 16 2020

duke-of-bytes

raid 5 cannot survive 2 disks , contact qnap support they can help you out

Board footer