LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 5 2020

Buying a new laptop in Lebanon at this time

Hello Lebgeeks,

You all know the current situation and the whole economical crisis and there is no need to add new info.

I live abroad, I want to buy for my younger brother (Lives in Lebanon) a Mid-range Laptop on a 700$ Budget, sure with powerful graphics card. Buying from sites like OLX is a catastrophe since everyone is defining their $ value. The sellers want somehow to benefit from the situation, even though they bought their laptops for 1$ = 1500L.L they are selling them for 1$ = 3000 and more.

1) Is there any Online/actual reliable store that sells used laptops that accepts online payments like credit card/PayPal etc.. ?
2) My other option is to buy one here and ship it through DHL, does anyone have a good experience with DHL? ( Shipping time, Customs, Taxes...)
3)The last option is to wait until "Reopening" the airport and bringing one during my visit. ( Least favorite option, since he is at home quarantine -no school)

Note: my plan was transferring the money through WU.

I would like to take your advice. Any recommendation/Input is appreciated.

Edit: typo

Last edited by 313 (April 5 2020)

#2 April 5 2020

m0ei

Re: Buying a new laptop in Lebanon at this time

There is no benefit from the current situation. If he bought them at 1500 LL previously, and he wants to buy a new one now he has to pay at 2700-2800 LL.

Would you sell a $1400 laptop for 1000$ at 1500 LL? it's like you sold the laptop for 500-600$.

When you send him money via Western Union, he will receive the amount in USD. He can use that amount to buy one, or you can just ship him a laptop and he pays the VAT/customs at 1500 LL.

#3 April 5 2020

vengeance666

Send him USD and he buys a laptop in USD. Doesn't matter the rate 1500 or 3000 at that point since the payment is in dollars.

#4 April 5 2020

AVOlio

At 700$ you'll buy a better laptop abroad than the same 700$ will buy here in Lebanon.

Better buy it from outside and then figure out how to send it.

#5 April 6 2020

specility

Aside from the dollar value, you have another issue which is the price difference. In June 2019, I decided to get a new laptop. I checked most of the big stores and ads that I could find. The price difference is HUGE! What costed 1000$ on amazon, costed 1600$ in lebanon. I checked multiple brands and models, the average difference is about 500$ for the same machine. (yes, the price difference is just for $, not including the conversion to lebanese pounds).
My advice is to buy it from abroad and ship it with a reliable service, even if you have to pay 200$ or so, still cheaper than lebanon. Ideally, you would want to send it with someone, but given the virus situation, shipping services are your best bet.

#6 April 6 2020

mmk92

Definitely shipping it would bring forth significantly more options and would actually be cheaper than if it were bought domestically. So definitely go for buying it abroad.

PS: I was in the market for a 700-1000$ laptop in Lebanon around the end of December and there were absolutely no good value options. The first worthwhile laptop was 1500$ up and it barely had mid-range specs.

#7 April 7 2020

Thanks all for your kind answers.
Either shipping from abroad, or buying directly in USD, both have advantages and disadvantages, that's why I can't decide till now.
Questions for the guys with the shipping option and for everyone who would like to weigh in:
- Does anyone have experience with Lebanese Customs? is there a way to calculate the ratio? is there any informative form/site/article online?
- What laptop would you recommend for 700$ Budget (with a decent graphics card)?
- I'm also waiting for the reply from the website onyourway.io that ships to Lebanon on the current situation if they are still in business, does anyone know other alternatives?

Thank you all again.

Board footer