LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 4 2020

AVOlio

New Cable Installation on Ogero Junction Box

Hello All.

We have a landline from Ogero and are subscribed to VDSL.
Ever since Ogero changed my port from DSL to VDSL my internet speed has been little by little decreasing over time.
I used to have stats like  32mbps DL and 7mbps UL when I first switched to vdsl.
And right before I installed the cable, they reached their minimun speed of 20mbps DL and 4mbps UL.

All of a sudden, one day i decided to do something about this.
It started out like this:
I DMed Ogero on Twitter telling them about my decrease in speed over time.
They opened a ticket for me with the reason being Physical Fault, so a physical visit by a technician was scheduled.
After about a week, the technician came and checked the box in the electricity room of the building. He hooked his gadget to my phone line and checked my speed.
The result was 40mbps. After telling him that I am not receiving anything near that speed, he advised me to hire an electrician and install a new cable directly from the Ogero Box to my house.
Also he gave me this drawing to follow for the best possible result I can get.
received-506988996847322.jpg
He specifically told me to hook the modem not on the filter, but on the main cable.
Also, by his drawing, I was able to find out which landline copper wires of the box were actually mine, since it is a big mess in there.
If you are planning to do this DIY project yourself, that is the first thing you need to find out as well and not mess up your neighbors landline / DSL.

So That was all the information I got from him.

In oblivion, without any knowledge or experience in telecommunications or doing electrical work with wires and such, I decided that I will do this DIY project by myself without hiring anyone and make myself busy during the quarantine.
If you are planning to do the same DIY project yourself and improve your stats, continue reading.

First thing’s first, you need to know which wires in the Ogero Junction Box are yours.
This is an example of what the box looks like, and this is actually the box of our building.
photo-2020-04-04-16-27-38.jpg
As you can see, there are many wires attached to them.
Every household has a pair of wires for themselves for landline and dsl.
To give you a little insight on the system of how Ogero installed these wires when the boxes were installed, check the Cat6 cable that I have attached to the box.
We live on the second floor, so the second pair belongs to us.
They started systematically from down going up for every pair of wires belonging to every floor.
However, this can be tricky if a floor has more than one apartment. In my case every floor has one apartment.

Moving on.

Before purchasing anything, like the cat6 cable, crimper tool, rj11 jacks etc… First you need to see if your stats and speed will actually improve if you hook it up to the box directly.
To do this, you actually need to take your modem down with you, and hook it up to the box in the right pair of slots that belong to you.
You can get a short cat6 cable, with an RJ11 socket attached to one end, and you need to strip the cable and reveal the wires on the other end.
Take note that we only need one pair of wires in the cat6 cable (that contain 4 pairs) so whichever color pair you choose to hook it up to the junction box, those same colors must be attached to the RJ11 socket going to your modem.

Attaching the wires to the junction box is fairly simple.
First you need to remove the wires already connected to it (these will be the wires that connect the in wall phone sockets of your house to the network), then install the wires of the cat6 cable.
You do not need a special Punch tool for it. I used that yellow little cutter that came with the crimper tool i bought.
photo-2020-04-04-17-56-13.jpg
photo-2020-04-04-17-56-06.jpg
It has a pointy head, and you can just use it to push the wires all the way down in the bars of the junction box and that’s it, you don’t even need to strip the wires to reveal the copper.

You can check my result in the above junction box picture that I posted.
That cat6 cable was the test cable I used to attach it to my modem when I took it down with me.
And it was at that moment, that I felt that I was on the right path.
After turning on the Modem, the DSL light started to blink, so this meant that the modem was trying to connect to the Ogero CO. After a few blinks, it stopped blinking and made a successful connection. Then the Internet light turned on as well.
So far so good.
I opened the modem homepage, and to my surprise these were my stats:
Max DL speed: 55mbps    Current Dl speed: 50mbps
Max UL speed: 11mbps            Current UL speed:10mps
And the SNR margin / Line attenuation improved as well.

So my speed more than doubled by disconnecting the internal wiring of the building and connecting my modem directly to the Ogero junction Box.

Now after you’ve tried this test and have your answer, you can know if you can proceed with the project or no.
In my case, I immediately went and purchased a 50m cat6 cable and all the necessary sockets and tools and made my plan of how am I going to send the cable from the box down the building in my room from around the building and through multiple balconies…

After planning everything, it was time to implement.
So I had one end on the 50m cable in my room, and the other end, after going through 2 balconies and reaching downstairs to the Junction box, I had the other end of that cable attached to the box the same way I attached the test cable.

After finishing the cable management all the way, I tested the connection with the new cable attached to my modem in my room.
And to no surprise, the result was the same as with the test cable I had downstairs.

But the problem now is, I only have one RJ11 socket coming to the house on which I need to connect the modem and the landline phone (since I cancelled all phone wall sockets of the house).
I tried an ADSL splitter / filter and connected both landline and phone at the same time.
They both worked, but my speed decreased dramatically!

Here came the plan that the technician drew for me.
He told me in order to get the best attainable speed on the new cable, you need to attach the modem on the main cable itself before the filter.

I was having a very hard time trying how to actually do this with my zero knowledge in wiring or electricity work…
Until user @Kareem helped me out with the issue.
Special thanks to him!

I had the old phone wall sockets already in the wall, waiting to be used.
So the plan is the new Cat6 cable coming from the box should be connected in Parallel to another cable, and this specific cable should connected to the modem. And then, the main new cat6 cable should be connected to the phone with a filter on its own.

So what I did was, install one pair of the main cat6 cable (the same pair that is installed in the junction box downstairs) on the left side of the socket.
And unfortunately I did not have any cat6 cables left, but I cut a small piece from an old cat5e cable, and installed one pair of wires on the right side of the socket.
What I have now is:
Main cat6 cable coming in from the balcony connected to the left side of the wall socket.
Cat5e cable connected to the right side of the wall socket, and will be connected to the modem.
A phone jack that will be connected to the wall socket like a  normal plug, with a filter on it and connected to the landline phone.
Here are some images of the work:
photo-2020-04-04-16-27-46.jpg photo-2020-04-04-16-27-52.jpg photo-2020-04-04-16-27-58.jpg photo-2020-04-04-16-28-04.jpg photo-2020-04-04-16-28-09.jpg photo-2020-04-04-16-28-14.jpg photo-2020-04-04-16-28-18.jpg

After trying the above method, the speed on the modem started showing back what they showed downstairs (50mbps Dl / 10mbps UL)  and the phone was working as well.

But make sure the filter you use is the same like mine.
A filter with one output only for the phone.
As even with this plan, I used other splitters with both  modem and Phone outputs, and the speed was being reduced as well.
This is the only filter that did not affect the speed.

So that is basically it.
I am very pleased with my connection, it feels that I am on fiber.
I played an 8k 60fps video on youtube, the entire video was played without a single buffer.
And the connection is very stable without any disconnections what so ever, even some crc errors exist in the modem and they keep increasing with time.

Hope this helps some of you people having unreliable connections, and maybe can improve your speed and stats!
This is a very simple DIY project that you can do by yourself without the need to hire any electrician!

I am too lazy to make a TL:DR ,  so enjoy reading!

#2 February 1 2021

yasamoka

Re: New Cable Installation on Ogero Junction Box

Excellent guide, thanks! Might be using this to setup VDSL in an apartment soon and get the best speeds - this should be extremely helpful.

Last edited by yasamoka (February 1 2021)

#3 February 2 2021

anayman_k7

Good guide.

Personally I had to ditch everything and install a lose wire, since the phone wires used are actually electrical wires with multiple small copper wires inside, also this electrical wire was installed in the same plastic tube with other electrical wires so a lamp in the other room could destroy my signal, in addition to that all the wire tubes coming from the main building board toward the flats are combined into 1 big pile so even neighbours electricity usage affects my line, so I used a Cat7 cable for extra strength and linked it to a filter with modem and phone and the end, as simple as that, I did not open Ogero box so I used these capsules to join the cables.

I dont recall the SNR numbers but the internet was unusable at all, after this I managed to get a minimum of 8mbps data rate and a max of 10mbps, I live 1.7KM far from an Ogero central, this fluctuation is from around 3 meters of electricity cables (Eshtirak) being hanged next to the phone line before Ogero box which I wanted to request Ogero or Eshtirak owner to fix, but I left Lebanon now and I have fiber now :)

OHXsieT.jpg

#4 November 21 2023

wollyka

I did the same in 2019 to get VDSL. I used a normal UTP CAT6 cable

However, now the speed was halved and it looks like the CAT6 cable (it was outdoor) is dying. Does you cable (@AVOlio) still work? or do we need to purchase those outdoor CAT6 cables or FTP cables?

#5 November 26 2023

nuclearcat

Most of this cables are not UV resistant, so if there is sunlight - put your cable inside cable conduit. If this conduit also metallized and you ground it - it might help to protect cable further not only from noise, but also from EMI of lightening strikes.
19787-2675033.webp

#6 November 28 2023

fadijm

i would pay for anyone to come diagnose the ogero box at my house. I have 200+ meters of cat 6 cables ready. if i can get faster speeds it would be great

#7 November 29 2023

wollyka

The cable was put inside a "Cache Cable" - plastic conduit. I tested it and it was not from the cable. I tested the secondary  junction and the speed was halved (the same speed i am getting). I called IDM and they came and tested the original junction box. It was the culprit. Now, it is Ogero's turn ti fix the box. So I think I am stuck with lower speed!

#8 November 30 2023

fadijm

wollyka wrote:

The cable was put inside a "Cache Cable" - plastic conduit. I tested it and it was not from the cable. I tested the secondary  junction and the speed was halved (the same speed i am getting). I called IDM and they came and tested the original junction box. It was the culprit. Now, it is Ogero's turn ti fix the box. So I think I am stuck with lower speed!

They will not change the box. I tried to get them to change it and offered to pay for the part. They said that they are not responsible for changing it and that they only change it if the ministry of telecom gives them the authority to do so. I called the ministry and they said that i had to get everyone in the village to sign a petition. So fuck that and fuck them

#9 November 30 2023

DNA

I have 2 friends who are living like 500meters away from the Dslam when one day Ogero did some repairs and both my friends lost their Dsl after that. The signal became very low couldnt sync even at 1mbps when before they had 20 .. well ogero refused to fix the issue blaming them everytime.. well long story short they ditched dsl while living near a dslam.. they wont fix these type of faults am not sure if its a policy, incompetency, costly or takes time..  most probably a combination of all ..goodluck with your issue

#10 December 1 2023

wollyka

One week later and still nothing. I don't have high hopes in any case. Currently, I am mitigating the issue by using another modem that let me fix the target SNR. IDM fixes it at 8 db, I could lower it to 5 db to get more speed (of course the CRC errors will increase)

Board footer