LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 January 17 2020

anayman_k7

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

I have a colleague at work who sent his iphone 7 (something) to France for replacement from Apple because it has some issues (typical Apple), they replaced it with another one and his replacement was blocked today, he said it was like 3 months period since he got it

#127 January 17 2020

infiniteloop

This law is a farce, the 1st thing the 1st real technocrat government shoudl do is delete this law

#128 January 19 2020

new_user

If you use your phone in Lebanon and the 3 month counter gets activated, and after that you travel and use your phone outside Lebanon, does the counter restart when you come back?

#129 January 19 2020

potato

no the data is saved and it will be modified once the payment is done.

Last edited by potato (January 19 2020)

#130 January 21 2020

Xsever

I paid the custom duties on my S10e today since the 90-day time limit does not reset with the calendar year. This was confirmed by the Liban Post employees. When I went to Liban Post to pay, I was asked about the memory size of the phone and I mistakenly replied with 64GB. Therefore, I was charged 140,000 LBP instead of 167,000 LBP for the 128GB model which I actually have. WIN!

#131 January 21 2020

infiniteloop

Are Xiaomi phones like OP? I mean they forgot about them as they don't have a wakil?
If this is the case I will get one from aliexpress

#132 January 21 2020

LifeEngineer

Nope, they are not. I paid customs fees on my wife's redmi note 4x like 18 months ago from aliexpress.
That's why I stopped buying them. They were my favorite and up till that point I have had ordered like more than 20 xiaomi phones already. Too bad I had to miss on the amazing K20 Pro 256/8 for that reason.

#133 January 27 2020

mohammadk97

infiniteloop wrote:

Are Xiaomi phones like OP? I mean they forgot about them as they don't have a wakil?

I have the Xiaomi Mi 9T, even though I got the message, the 90 days have passed and the phone has not been locked. (The countdown got stuck at 31 days).

#134 January 31 2020

Abou_Karim

Hi everyone. This is my first post in this forum, but I've been following the discussions since the beginning, especially that my wife and daughter's phones are getting blocked. These are Samsung phones, purchased in Dubai (online).
Try this if your phone has 2 sim slots, and it got blocked using SIM1... Try shifting your sim card to SIM2. this way the network will think that this is a new phone (since each slot has its own IMEI), and you could be given a new 90 day period to use free of charge.
Who knows, maybe during this time, our new minister will cancel the customs law altogether...

#135 February 1 2020

infiniteloop

mohammadk97 wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

I have the Xiaomi Mi 9T, even though I got the message, the 90 days have passed and the phone has not been locked. (The countdown got stuck at 31 days).

Good to know, I am waiting for the Mi 10 Pro specs (K30 pro) to see if it will replace my s10+
Did you buy it from aliexpress?

#136 February 24 2020

ivy

Anyone paying their customs or is it still hung?

#137 February 27 2020

new_user

ivy wrote:

Anyone paying their customs or is it still hung?

Oh is the customs system not working any more?

Another qn, if I buy a phone abroad and use it in Lebanon and the customs counter starts. Then I travel abroad again and use the phone abroad and come again to Lebanon. Will the counter reset when I come back or will it continue from where it left off?

#138 February 27 2020

vengeance666

This customs thing is the dumbest thing this country has ever done. Did nothing beside boosting the prices even more of smarthphones.

#139 February 27 2020

Kareem

Note 10+ here working since 4 months. No jomrok whatsoever...

Last edited by Kareem (February 27 2020)

#140 February 28 2020

ivy

Kareem wrote:

I'm considering an 11 Pro Max from the US, do you think in the case a 16% tarrif is imposed, it'll be on the actual price of the phone ($1099) or not?

Did you purchase yours from the states?

#141 March 8 2020

Salloum

ivy wrote:
Kareem wrote:

I'm considering an 11 Pro Max from the US, do you think in the case a 16% tarrif is imposed, it'll be on the actual price of the phone ($1099) or not?

Did you purchase yours from the states?

As I understand the 'law' is currently on hold. you'll get the message but the counter 'stops' at 30 days. No one knows what will happen in the future and yes, its 16% of the price in Lebanon, not in the US!

#142 March 8 2020

bobo619

The law never was put on hold it's just that recent phones customs rates were not set yet at the treasury. My iphone 11 pro max i bought from France 31 days starting couting down 1 week ago because apparently the ministry have set a price for the duties.

#143 March 8 2020

ivy

bobo619 wrote:

The law never was put on hold it's just that recent phones customs rates were not set yet at the treasury. My iphone 11 pro max i bought from France 31 days starting couting down 1 week ago because apparently the ministry have set a price for the duties.

How much is it gonna cost you?

#144 March 8 2020

bermudapineapple

A friend of mine bought an iPhone 11 from Dubai a month ago and had to pay 500k at LibanPost. But going by this thread, it seems like the holds aren't consistently applied. I'd advise anyone facing these issues to first let the grace period run out. Assuming it's not a hassle to reactivate your line, why risk paying for something you aren't even sure will apply to you?

#145 March 8 2020

ivy

bermudapineapple wrote:

A friend of mine bought an iPhone 11 from Dubai a month ago and had to pay 500k at LibanPost. But going by this thread, it seems like the holds aren't consistently applied. I'd advise anyone facing these issues to first let the grace period run out. Assuming it's not a hassle to reactivate your line, why risk paying for something you aren't even sure will apply to you?

Sho 500 ?? that's beyond unreasonable, it's not even being applied at a 16% rate

Last edited by ivy (March 8 2020)

#146 March 8 2020

bobo619

ivy wrote:
bobo619 wrote:

How much is it gonna cost you?

I have the 512GB model and yes it can hover around 500 000L.L. Last time i paid for my XS Max 450.000L.L . This is honestly theft to charge you for customs on a phone you tend to use personally. Their main purpose of all this is to protect local shops to encourage you to buy it locally and discourage unofficial(Tohrib) phones sale. I specualte that there will be more and more desperate taxation on luxury/high tech items as our beloved country is in ruins and in dire needs of liquidity. Soon everything considered slightly luxurious will be taxed the hell out of including cars,exotic foods, electronics etc..

#147 March 8 2020

bobo619

ivy wrote:
bermudapineapple wrote:

Sho 500 ?? that's beyond unreasonable, it's not even being applied at a 16% rate

I will give you a simple example of what you expected to pay:
Conisder they set the price for an Iphone 11 Pro max 512GB at 1600$(2 424 000LL at 1515 conversion)
You have your regular 11% TVA + 5% customs(16%)
2 420 000*0.16= 387 000 LL
Then comes the clearance fees which in my experience is 5%
387 000*0.05=20 000 LL
Then you pay 11% TVA on the total amount(387 000+20 000)
407 000×1.11= 451 000LL
Hope this gives you insight on what to expect

#148 March 8 2020

ivy

bobo619 wrote:
ivy wrote:
bermudapineapple wrote:

Conisder they set the price for an Iphone 11 Pro max 512GB at 1600$(2 424 000LL at 1515 conversion)
387 000*0.05=20 000 LL
407 000×1.11= 451 000LL

Thanks a lot for breaking it down like that, I used to calculate it at the 16% above only. If I'm purchasing the phone myself and coming through the airport, will I also have to pay the clearance and the VAT on the total amount as well at libanpost?

#149 March 8 2020

nefe_lpmk

bobo619 wrote:
ivy wrote:
bermudapineapple wrote:

387 000*0.05=20 000 LL
407 000×1.11= 451 000LL

Why are we paying TVA two times?

#150 March 14 2020

Osama

nefe_lpmk wrote:
bobo619 wrote:
ivy wrote:

387 000*0.05=20 000 LL
407 000×1.11= 451 000LL

Why are we paying TVA two times?

I think the first TVA among is for the original purchase price of the item and the second TVA is for the customs amount. It's creative theft, if they thought of it they would have tried including the cost of your plane ticket and called it shipping cost which they include in the calculations if the item you order is shipped to you.

Last edited by Osama (March 14 2020)

Board footer