LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3676 December 26 2019

AVOlio

Re: Feedback for Ogero

I have 4k displays and I'm planning to watch on them, especially the 60fps videos require even more bandwidth.

If I start to watch with a VPN, the speed gets up to 18mbps.
Without VPN, max is 13mbps.

Anyone with vdsl or fiber can confirm this?

#3677 December 26 2019

ahk40a

AVOlio wrote:

I have 4k displays and I'm planning to watch on them, especially the 60fps videos require even more bandwidth.

If I start to watch with a VPN, the speed gets up to 18mbps.
Without VPN, max is 13mbps.

Anyone with vdsl or fiber can confirm this?

I am not sure what configuration you currently have, but being on VPN definitely will increase the speed especially that you can reach speeds up to 25Mbps. The issue is, when you use VPN, you will add overhead on the packets requiring more bandwidth. Just check the speeds on the YouTube and if the streams are fine and you don't face any buffering issues, try avoiding the VPN.

as far as I know, Ogero has google cache, so some segments might be loaded locally, thus giving you a better service.

#3678 December 26 2019

yasamoka

ahk40a wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Is ogero Limiting the speed on Youtube?
My internet speed reaches 25mbps,  but when watching youtube, i can only see the video using 13mbps max when i open the stats on the video.

Why would you need a higher speed on YouTube? 13 Mbps is more than what you need to buffer a Full HD.

"For streaming HD (720p) content, you'll need at least 2.5Mbps speed, for full HD videos, minimum speed requirement is 4Mbps, whereas for 4K UHD content, you need an internet connection with minimum speed of at least 15Mbps."

So, If you don't have a 4K display, it is not worth it to buffer a 4K Movie. It will increase your consumption for nothing. Now, even if you set it for Full HD, You might notice that the speed is reaching 13 Mbps, and that is only to buffer into the cache.

He has a 1440p display, so he can immediately benefit from resolutions higher than 1080p. Just read that he also has 4K displays.

Furthermore, buffering higher resolution content on YouTube does not merely net you a higher resolution - it also nets you higher quality due to higher bitrate. Less compression artifacts, less detail loss, etc...

Also, even if image quality for all the resolutions were equal (aside from the difference in resolution), you would still benefit from higher resolution video on a lower resolution display due to downsampling. However, due to scarcity of bandwidth, this is not an option most people would go for when dealing with video streaming as the diminishing returns kick in pretty hard.

#3679 December 26 2019

Hemorrhoids

yasamoka wrote:
ahk40a wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Is ogero Limiting the speed on Youtube?
My internet speed reaches 25mbps,  but when watching youtube, i can only see the video using 13mbps max when i open the stats on the video.

Why would you need a higher speed on YouTube? 13 Mbps is more than what you need to buffer a Full HD.

"For streaming HD (720p) content, you'll need at least 2.5Mbps speed, for full HD videos, minimum speed requirement is 4Mbps, whereas for 4K UHD content, you need an internet connection with minimum speed of at least 15Mbps."

So, If you don't have a 4K display, it is not worth it to buffer a 4K Movie. It will increase your consumption for nothing. Now, even if you set it for Full HD, You might notice that the speed is reaching 13 Mbps, and that is only to buffer into the cache.

He has a 1440p display, so he can immediately benefit from resolutions higher than 1080p. Just read that he also has 4K displays.

Furthermore, buffering higher resolution content on YouTube does not merely net you a higher resolution - it also nets you higher quality due to higher bitrate. Less compression artifacts, less detail loss, etc...

Also, even if image quality for all the resolutions were equal (aside from the difference in resolution), you would still benefit from higher resolution video on a lower resolution display due to downsampling. However, due to scarcity of bandwidth, this is not an option most people would go for when dealing with video streaming as the diminishing returns kick in pretty hard.

I do see film grain at 4k in trailers at 1080p monitor, agreed on the compression part.

#3680 January 4 2020

mher11

Is it normal that my router stats always changing? Like every time i refresh the page the stats like max rate current rate SNR margin always fluctuating.. Is this normal or there is an issue?

#3681 January 6 2020

wollyka

mher11 wrote:

Is it normal that my router stats always changing? Like every time i refresh the page the stats like max rate current rate SNR margin always fluctuating.. Is this normal or there is an issue?

It is normal. They usually fluctuate by a small margin

#3682 January 11 2020

xazbrat

Last month, I tried to change my plan from the 2mb unlimited to 4 mb unlimited, but since the max speed as shown by Ogero speed test was 3mb, I was forced to go to open plan.  Now, I get the 4mb unlimited option on Ogero's dashboard and just changed to it for next month.  They do say my max speed is 3mb, but I don't think they update it much if at all unless they switch an area over to fiber. And since I am dohat aramoun, the apparent black hole of fiber, who knows when this area will get anything decent.

8934630268.png

Of course, modem says I am connected at 5704, but no matter what, still better than the sub 2 mb I was getting before.  I know this is laughable for many of you who are fortunate enough to be in an area which has faster connections, but this is still much more usable than before.

#3683 January 11 2020

AVOlio

My Max rate on the router has been decreasing more and more over time.

Since Ogero started this whole Open speed packages, i used to get about 30-31mbps on the Router page on VDSL2, and i also used to get speed in that interval in real time use.
it then went down to 27-28mbps on the router, but actually it was only getting 24mbps real time.

Now , on the router max is around 26mbps and in real time its not exceeding 20mbps.

#3684 January 13 2020

wollyka

AVOlio wrote:

My Max rate on the router has been decreasing more and more over time.

Since Ogero started this whole Open speed packages, i used to get about 30-31mbps on the Router page on VDSL2, and i also used to get speed in that interval in real time use.
it then went down to 27-28mbps on the router, but actually it was only getting 24mbps real time.

Now , on the router max is around 26mbps and in real time its not exceeding 20mbps.

More users are on VDSL, it happens.

#3685 February 8 2020

DG

Is there any way to have open incoming connections when using a Torrent client via Ogero's DSL ?

#3686 February 8 2020

Kareem

DG wrote:

Is there any way to have open incoming connections when using a Torrent client via Ogero's DSL ?

Well I was discussing this in another thread. IPv6....

d0a30bffe019cc316e13f00fff0a5a45.png

#3687 February 13 2020

Moudimadi

Hello All, yesterday i called Ogero to change from dsl to vdsl. They told me you have to wait 2 weeks till they change the port ad you'll get the vdsl. but first i have to go to mina al hosn to configure the vdsl modem even though my asus modem has adsl and vdsl inside it and adsl is configured. I tried yesterday to change my dsl modulation from adsl to vdsl2. I got internet for the first time. but inside the router stats it gave me adsl2plus even though i saved the vdsl2 modulation. i got the same speed i was getting on adsl also. 11 mbit download 1 mbit upload. my question is why the internet is working on vdsl2 if they didn't switch the port yet from their side? And will the speed change without going to mina al hosn when they change the port? if not. How could i do the vdsl configuration alone. Thank you so much.

#3688 February 14 2020

Mayyad

Moudimadi wrote:

Hello All, yesterday i called Ogero to change from dsl to vdsl. They told me you have to wait 2 weeks till they change the port ad you'll get the vdsl. but first i have to go to mina al hosn to configure the vdsl modem even though my asus modem has adsl and vdsl inside it and adsl is configured. I tried yesterday to change my dsl modulation from adsl to vdsl2. I got internet for the first time. but inside the router stats it gave me adsl2plus even though i saved the vdsl2 modulation. i got the same speed i was getting on adsl also. 11 mbit download 1 mbit upload. my question is why the internet is working on vdsl2 if they didn't switch the port yet from their side? And will the speed change without going to mina al hosn when they change the port? if not. How could i do the vdsl configuration alone. Thank you so much.

Hi

Once i did that before and it worked for me, i changed the modulation to VDSL restarted the router and it worked, i did that when they changed the cabinets to fiber next to me on the same day. no new configuration was required and didn't go to mina el hoson even though ogero told me to apply for vdsl change and i should wait to change but it worked for me.

#3689 February 14 2020

Moudimadi

Mayyad wrote:
Moudimadi wrote:

Hi

Once i did that before and it worked for me, i changed the modulation to VDSL restarted the router and it worked, i did that when they changed the cabinets to fiber next to me on the same day. no new configuration was required and didn't go to mina el hoson even though ogero told me to apply for vdsl change and i should wait to change but it worked for me.

Thank you so much Mayyad for your reply. I appreciate it.

#3690 February 19 2020

xazbrat

Anyone get an actual bill from Ogero yet---my balance is still zero after I paid it last week

#3691 February 19 2020

dio

xazbrat wrote:

Anyone get an actual bill from Ogero yet---my balance is still zero after I paid it last week

I usually pay mine on the 15th on the website. Still nothing.

#3692 February 19 2020

vengeance666

It usually takes up to 6 days for the new one to show up. Why are you sad tho lol

#3693 February 19 2020

dio

vengeance666 wrote:

It usually takes up to 6 days for the new one to show up. Why are you sad tho lol

Not sad lol, just answering his question.

#3694 February 19 2020

bermudapineapple

Anyone noticing extreme fluctuations in connection strength in the Metn area? Are they working on the lines/fiber optics?

#3695 February 19 2020

bobo619

bermudapineapple wrote:

Anyone noticing extreme fluctuations in connection strength in the Metn area? Are they working on the lines/fiber optics?

Positive or negative fluctuation?

#3696 February 19 2020

xazbrat

dio wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:

Not sad lol, just answering his question.

Not sad either---just wondering if it was an issue only related to me, but now know it isn't.  This was my third plan in three months--just thought their system got confused,  lol/

#3697 February 26 2020

Moudimadi

Hello Guys, so i applied to VDSL since 11 february. There was a girl named nagham on the phone. told me to contact them on 25 february. Means yesterday. So i called them and asked about my VDSL application. She was like " Estez ma alabouk 3al vdsl ba3d. Yemken mafi ports w mafi marja3 " Don't know what she meant by marja3 ". Mafina na3mel shi. She said also why do you want VDSL? I was like i like faster speeds. so she said that i wont benefit from faster download speeds. just upload. Even though i'm sure that i'm gonna get faster download speeds too. Because on twitter everyone who got VDSL are posting their results to Mr,Imad Kreidieh and the download speed is more than 30 or 40 Mbit. I called Khaldeh CO. She asked me which speed do you want? i told her 200gb open speed. she told me we'll send now an email to the administration and u'll get upgraded to vdsl from 1 march and after. My question is how much speed should i get minimum on vdsl? download and upload. And my 2nd one. are they lying or what? What should i do? Thank you guys :)

#3698 February 26 2020

DNA

the speed you will get depends on your current line condition, your current speed will give you a basic idea how much will you on VDSL but you wont know until you get it anyways Ogero is hands down the company with the worst support team. I've been waiting for vdsl more than a year now, my company scrapped a potential deal with them because of their support

#3699 February 26 2020

Moudimadi

DNA wrote:

the speed you will get depends on your current line condition, your current speed will give you a basic idea how much will you on VDSL but you wont know until you get it anyways Ogero is hands down the company with the worst support team. I've been waiting for vdsl more than a year now, my company scrapped a potential deal with them because of their support

On adsl i have now like 15 Mbit download speed and 1 Mbit upload speed. You're right they have the worst support team ever! I don't know what to tell you. You know we're living in Lebanon :)

#3700 February 26 2020

ahk40a

Moudimadi wrote:
DNA wrote:

On adsl i have now like 15 Mbit download speed and 1 Mbit upload speed. You're right they have the worst support team ever! I don't know what to tell you. You know we're living in Lebanon :)

Did they switch Doha-Aramoun to VDSL?? Could you remind me of where you live or near what?

Last edited by ahk40a (February 26 2020)

Board footer