LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 18 2019

jsaade

Terra Net - WDSL

Terra Net is offering a WDSL Package:
https://www.terra.net.lb/products/Terracasa

You pay for a microwave installation and can get 2M/4M/6M/10M or 12M package

I talked to them, all packages:
- Unlimited
- No FUP
- No speed downgrade
- Symmetric up/down speed so you get for example 4M down and 4M up
- Ping is around 65ms for gaming (?)

Any one can share any experience with this?

#2 September 18 2019

Abou7meed

Re: Terra Net - WDSL

any idea about price for each plan ?

#3 September 18 2019

MrClass

Why not dedicated Internet over ADSL line? Should be cheaper than microwave and still has all the benefits (plus i think you get a static IP)

#4 September 19 2019

ironman

A company I work for has that WDSL (4M), the internet is very reliable, symmetric up/down, highly recommended.
I was thinking of installing the same for my home, however the fees are a bit high..

Good luck.

#5 September 19 2019

ahk40a

ironman wrote:

A company I work for has that WDSL (4M), the internet is very reliable, symmetric up/down, highly recommended.
I was thinking of installing the same for my home, however the fees are a bit high..

Good luck.

I was trying to find the monthly fees for such connection. I didn't find any. Could you share if you have the cost for 2M and 4M?

Does it provide a real ip?

#6 September 19 2019

Hackour

ahk40a wrote:
ironman wrote:

Good luck.

I was trying to find the monthly fees for such connection. I didn't find any. Could you share if you have the cost for 2M and 4M?

Does it provide a real ip?

yes real ip

200$ for microwave device + installation

monthly fees:
2M unlimited = 50$ + VAT
4M unlimited = 80$ + VAT
6M unlimited = 110$ + VAT
10M unlimited = 140$ + VAT
12M unlimited = 180$ + VAT

Service name: A GOGO from TerraNet

Last edited by Hackour (September 19 2019)

#7 September 20 2019

new_user

Is microwave the same as wireless broadband? (Like the one provided by connect for example?)
Is it suitable for gaming?

#8 September 20 2019

LifeEngineer

Microwave is the way of transmitting the internet to your building. The Microwave link will be installed on roof of the building and a cable will reach your house/router.
As for wireless, it's like a cellphone reception. You can pretty much receive it everywhere (if the coverage is there).
At high speeds, both are fine I guess, yet of course nothing beats a full wired fiber-optic connection.

#9 October 4 2019

jsaade

MrClass wrote:

Why not dedicated Internet over ADSL line? Should be cheaper than microwave and still has all the benefits (plus i think you get a static IP)

Not everyone in Lebanon has DSL.
i.e My area has a 0.5mbps DSL :) and unfortunately the ministry does not plan on upgrading it soon.

#10 October 7 2019

lasho?

Here's my testing results:

Terranet WDSL (4MBit plan):

Ping to 8.8.8.8:
40ms unloaded
68ms loaded with a torrent client (!)
10ms deviation twice over 6 hours (e.g ping peaked 50-60ms unloaded without any reason twice every 6 hours)
4 packet loss in 24 hours, I'm on a weak signal, far rural area with trees. (near monteverde)
No jitter measured.

Speed:
-4Mbit download happens to be exactly 4Mbit, no overhead or speed loss.
-4Mbit upload is on traffic shaping algorithm, 10 seconds 4mbit, the rest is fluctuating at exactly 2.8 to 3.8 mbit averaging 3.2mbit
I've went over 500gb of download no speed downgrade noticed.
I can upload and download at the same time with no throttling, VoIP and video chats seem to be unaffected. (QoS isp side?)

The hardware mounted on the roof (5GHz WiFi N300): mikrotik(dot)com/product/RB911G-5HPnD-QRT
CableOne did the installation. They use gigabit PoE for powering the unit.

Extras: Static Public IP, but they're using Port Control Protocol (PCP) + GCNAT (correct me if I'm wrong), port forwarding only works when the firewall (isp side) detects a service on that port in a nutshell. I had no problem hosting website or any game server though. Port forwarding sites show the port as closed unless the server is up (listening). All ports are open except 445.

The link is in bridge mode, they provide you PPPoE and password for you to configure on your own router or their own. Did not deduct the price when I used my own though! >(
I hope they're using a decent security setup as my PPPoE password is plain 0123456789...
RouterOS version is 6.42, no WinBox exploit, the link is not using default password/username, I'm not allowed to access it.

Support (opinion): 3/5, 15 minutes on phone is normal... Speak to CableOne when you have technical and detailed issue, Terranet simply tells you "have you tried turning it off then on?" when I asked about public IP, they don't give you one until 2 days pass on installation <- got this info from CableOne.

Ogero ADSL:
Ping to 8.8.8.8:
65ms unloaded (I'm in mount Lebanon - reasonably far)
800-2000ms loaded with a torrent client (have to use SQM cake to prevent this bufferbloat, had to lose 30% of speed to drop it to 100ms)
3ms deviation every 1-2 hours
20 packet loss in 24 hours.
No jitter measured.
Note: Syncing at 15mbit, SNR margin 28 db.

Speed:
-2mbit unlimited: 1.8mbit download speed, no throttling over 300gb.
-open speed 200gb plan synced at 15mbit, speed was around 14.6
-upload fluctuated between 600-800 kbit.
I can upload and download without throttling, but web browsing is unusable, VoIP and video chat is not possible. (without SQM)

Extras: I had interleaving disabled. Double NAT, no options for port forwarding, no public IP.

Support (opinion): 1/5, ADSL suddenly started to sync every 5-30 minutes, the municipality informed Ogero as everyone around was affected, no response from Kridieh, which is why I'm on WDSL right now. Most people around me use ADSL to save mobile data on social media so they don't mind the frequent disconnects.

Verdict: I miss my high speed download rate, on the bright side I only realized the importance of upload speed when I was able to move 1 gigabyte file to Google Drive in less than an hour, same with google photos backup (phone) without taking down the network (browsing unusable during this period on ADSL). No need to download overnight as there is no buffer bloat, speed is split evenly internet is still usable, as well as gaming. I no longer have to worry about someone's else phone on the network uploading whatsapp backup automatically while video chatting or gaming. I would still go back to ADSL for the decent speed once it is surely fixed (not likely going to happen), but Terranet's offer did not disappoint, slower but much higher quality, faster for multi usage at 4mbit ironically and better for gaming IMO. YMMV.

Bonus test out of curiosity:
-touch 4g ping to my public ip (using Parsec): 28ms (jumpy)
-adsl (neighbor, maybe less in Beirut) ping to my public ip: 34ms
-small gaming/coffee lounge (which happens to use terranet wdsl): 13ms
Haven't tested with someone on fiber.
I should add that I got cut twice on ADSL during snow and windy days for few hours, no problems with WDSL, not sure if it would be the same on higher speeds like 12mbit plan.

Last edited by lasho? (October 7 2019)

#11 October 7 2019

TheIlluminative

Thanks lasho? great report. I want to the WDSL but I have to pay $200 for installation. I wish they can make it less price and would love to get the 4-6 plan.

#12 October 8 2019

jsaade

lasho? wrote:

Here's my testing results:

Terranet WDSL (4MBit plan):

Ping to 8.8.8.8:
40ms unloaded
68ms loaded with a torrent client (!)
10ms deviation twice over 6 hours (e.g ping peaked 50-60ms unloaded without any reason twice every 6 hours)
4 packet loss in 24 hours, I'm on a weak signal, far rural area with trees. (near monteverde)
No jitter measured.

Speed:
-4Mbit download happens to be exactly 4Mbit, no overhead or speed loss.
-4Mbit upload is on traffic shaping algorithm, 10 seconds 4mbit, the rest is fluctuating at exactly 2.8 to 3.8 mbit averaging 3.2mbit
I've went over 500gb of download no speed downgrade noticed.
I can upload and download at the same time with no throttling, VoIP and video chats seem to be unaffected. (QoS isp side?)

The hardware mounted on the roof (5GHz WiFi N300): mikrotik(dot)com/product/RB911G-5HPnD-QRT
CableOne did the installation. They use gigabit PoE for powering the unit.

Extras: Static Public IP, but they're using Port Control Protocol (PCP) + GCNAT (correct me if I'm wrong), port forwarding only works when the firewall (isp side) detects a service on that port in a nutshell. I had no problem hosting website or any game server though. Port forwarding sites show the port as closed unless the server is up (listening). All ports are open except 445.

The link is in bridge mode, they provide you PPPoE and password for you to configure on your own router or their own. Did not deduct the price when I used my own though! >(
I hope they're using a decent security setup as my PPPoE password is plain 0123456789...
RouterOS version is 6.42, no WinBox exploit, the link is not using default password/username, I'm not allowed to access it.

Support (opinion): 3/5, 15 minutes on phone is normal... Speak to CableOne when you have technical and detailed issue, Terranet simply tells you "have you tried turning it off then on?" when I asked about public IP, they don't give you one until 2 days pass on installation <- got this info from CableOne.

Ogero ADSL:
Ping to 8.8.8.8:
65ms unloaded (I'm in mount Lebanon - reasonably far)
800-2000ms loaded with a torrent client (have to use SQM cake to prevent this bufferbloat, had to lose 30% of speed to drop it to 100ms)
3ms deviation every 1-2 hours
20 packet loss in 24 hours.
No jitter measured.
Note: Syncing at 15mbit, SNR margin 28 db.

Speed:
-2mbit unlimited: 1.8mbit download speed, no throttling over 300gb.
-open speed 200gb plan synced at 15mbit, speed was around 14.6
-upload fluctuated between 600-800 kbit.
I can upload and download without throttling, but web browsing is unusable, VoIP and video chat is not possible. (without SQM)

Extras: I had interleaving disabled. Double NAT, no options for port forwarding, no public IP.

Support (opinion): 1/5, ADSL suddenly started to sync every 5-30 minutes, the municipality informed Ogero as everyone around was affected, no response from Kridieh, which is why I'm on WDSL right now. Most people around me use ADSL to save mobile data on social media so they don't mind the frequent disconnects.

Verdict: I miss my high speed download rate, on the bright side I only realized the importance of upload speed when I was able to move 1 gigabyte file to Google Drive in less than an hour, same with google photos backup (phone) without taking down the network (browsing unusable during this period on ADSL). No need to download overnight as there is no buffer bloat, speed is split evenly internet is still usable, as well as gaming. I no longer have to worry about someone's else phone on the network uploading whatsapp backup automatically while video chatting or gaming. I would still go back to ADSL for the decent speed once it is surely fixed (not likely going to happen), but Terranet's offer did not disappoint, slower but much higher quality, faster for multi usage at 4mbit ironically and better for gaming IMO. YMMV.

Bonus test out of curiosity:
-touch 4g ping to my public ip (using Parsec): 28ms (jumpy)
-adsl (neighbor, maybe less in Beirut) ping to my public ip: 34ms
-small gaming/coffee lounge (which happens to use terranet wdsl): 13ms
Haven't tested with someone on fiber.
I should add that I got cut twice on ADSL during snow and windy days for few hours, no problems with WDSL, not sure if it would be the same on higher speeds like 12mbit plan.

Thank you for the detailed review. I signed up to WDSL and waiting for installation

#13 November 19 2019

DG

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone here with Terranet WDSL (2M speed) tried raiding in World Of Warcraft (40 man raids) and large battleground / world pvp. Does it work ? or do you get a high ping and/or get disconnected from the game.

#14 November 19 2019

vengeance666

DG wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone here with Terranet WDSL (2M speed) tried raiding in World Of Warcraft (40 man raids) and large battleground / world pvp. Does it work ? or do you get a high ping and/or get disconnected from the game.

I did raid on open speed fine in classic but you should be also fine. When this game was in 2005 2006 most people didn't even have anything close to 2M. You would need like a max 60kb/sec download speed in the most cramped situation. Large big scale fights were around in retail in the past years like AV, Isle of Conquest which were 80 man BGs. You got the WoW anniversary of Southshore vs Tarren Mill and that worked out just fine. Hell I even remember clearly when they released a scaled version of 40 man MC that would give you at the end the Corehound mount, I did that just fine on a 1M connection.

#15 November 20 2019

DG

Vengeance,  I know it should be fine on a 2M connection.  But the reason I'm asking is because I tried doing 40 man Onyxia on a 2M connection from Connect (Wimax) and ping jumped all the way to 2000ms then I got kicked out from the server.
So I need to know if I'll face the same issue on Terranet's Wdsl.

#16 November 20 2019

vengeance666

DG wrote:

Vengeance,  I know it should be fine on a 2M connection.  But the reason I'm asking is because I tried doing 40 man Onyxia on a 2M connection from Connect (Wimax) and ping jumped all the way to 2000ms then I got kicked out from the server.
So I need to know if I'll face the same issue on Terranet's Wdsl.

That means you were not receiving anything close to 2M speeds, a 2M speed which is around 200 kb/sec download speed is more than enough to run 40 man raids on 2 computers. Theoretically it should be fine what you need to look for is if Terranet has a stable speed and quality through the whole day or not.

#17 November 21 2019

DG

Vengeance, of course but I did a speed test on Connect and the result was 1.8M  for the download speed. So I'm assuming speed/bandwidth is not the problem. Unless, they are doing some traffic shaping on games like WoW which would be real bad.
So I would like to know if any Terranet WDSL (2M plan) user here has tried playing World of Warcraft and doing some 40 man battlegrounds / 40 man raids.
What was your ping to Europe ? Did the raid / battleground go smoothly or did you get an increase in latency or get disconnected ?

#18 November 21 2019

vengeance666

DG wrote:

Vengeance, of course but I did a speed test on Connect and the result was 1.8M  for the download speed. So I'm assuming speed/bandwidth is not the problem. Unless, they are doing some traffic shaping on games like WoW which would be real bad.
So I would like to know if any Terranet WDSL (2M plan) user here has tried playing World of Warcraft and doing some 40 man battlegrounds / 40 man raids.
What was your ping to Europe ? Did the raid / battleground go smoothly or did you get an increase in latency or get disconnected ?

This is a sure case of traffic shaping or some sort of manipulation of the speedtest results. A true 1.8M should never cause latency issues unless the ping itself is not stable. I think the 2M would be good since it's DSL so you would probably always get the full speed you pay for, usually DSL isn't manipulated like broadband.

Last edited by vengeance666 (November 21 2019)

#19 December 25 2019

TheIlluminative

Any more reviews on WDSL? And are you paying in LBP or you have to pay in USD only? ($1 = 1505?)

Thanks!

#20 December 25 2019

Hemorrhoids

TheIlluminative wrote:

Any more reviews on WDSL? And are you paying in LBP or you have to pay in USD only? ($1 = 1505?)

Thanks!

1515LBP here.
Pretty stable, wish the plans are reasonably priced, they were working on the connection a week ago and I received around ~40mbit/s for few hours! I'm on 6mbit plan.

#21 February 17 2020

Kareem

I think I'm going to try the WDSL thing.

I called them and I guess it's a good deal ( compared to Lebanon of course )

- 12Mb/s symmetrical up/down
- No FUP
- No quota
- 270,000 LL + VAT
- 300,000 LL installation
- One real static IP ( yup )
- No speed higher than 12mbps.
- No IPv6

#22 March 3 2020

alcolopa

Hello,

Do you think that this internet will be fine for a net cafe?
What will the ping be like?
We are considering moving from a 8mbps down 4mbps up to 6mbps wdsl.

#23 March 3 2020

Ya like jazz

alcolopa wrote:

Hello,

Do you think that this internet will be fine for a net cafe?
What will the ping be like?
We are considering moving from a 8mbps down 4mbps up to 6mbps wdsl.

Not much lower than ADSL or fiber, not steady stable, but very consistent in range, e.g 40ms to 60ms up and down not more, no spikes or jitter, even under heavy traffic, adsl spikes to hundreds under load, fiber +10ms. They're using nstreme2, unlike regular 802.11, it favors latency over bandwidth, 12mbps would go down to 10 under heavy fog latency remains unchanged, I suspect you wont notice anything at 6.

#24 March 3 2020

Ya like jazz

Kareem wrote:

I think I'm going to try the WDSL thing.

I called them and I guess it's a good deal ( compared to Lebanon of course )

- 12Mb/s symmetrical up/down
- No FUP
- No quota
- 270,000 LL + VAT
- 300,000 LL installation
- One real static IP ( yup )
- No speed higher than 12mbps.
- No IPv6

You can always use tunnelbroker for ipv6, they have better routes and hops than native enterprise ipv6 in lebanon as well.

Last edited by Ya like jazz (March 3 2020)

#25 March 4 2020

alcolopa

Thanks for the reply btw we weren't on fiber we were using microwave if that's what it is called and it's pretty expensive!

Board footer