LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 23 2019

Kareem

Ogero Double NAT ?

I am not really sure if it's a double NAT issue but I don't understand what's going on lately.

Few months ago, my WAN IP switched to private. Rebooting etc.. won't solve the issue.  Port forwarding doesn't help as my External IP is different than my WAN IP which is different than my network IP.

I called their support but they don't understand what I'm talking about; they replied with the usual " Taffeh w dawweh ba3ed 3ashr d2ayi2"

Any idea what to do in this situation ?

6fc75f980911ecc217261abacea99b95.png

#2 January 23 2019

DNA

Re: Ogero Double NAT ?

yea it"s a big problem honestly Ogero dont wanna provide public IPs to the router anymore this means that it is impossible to forward ports whatsoever i contacted them and even talked to Mr . kreidieh he said they wont be giving public Ips anymore even dynamic ones and they are moving to IPv6 only for end users which is horrible at this point.

Last edited by DNA (January 23 2019)

#3 January 23 2019

Kareem

DNA wrote:

yea it"s a big problem honestly Ogero dont wanna provide public IPs to the router anymore this means that it is impossible to forward ports whatsoever i contacted them and even talked to Mr . kreidieh he said they wont be giving public Ips anymore even dynamic ones and they are moving to IPv6 only for end users which is horrible at this point.

Moving to IPV6 seriously ? I don't see it happening before 5 years.

He told you for end users which means US ? or corporate accounts you mean?

#4 January 23 2019

xazbrat

No clue on what to do---I just checked mine and it is 172.xx.xx.xx but I remember getting those IP's for a while and then it sort of went away.  Good luck--keep rebooting or try changing the modem and see if that helps.

#5 January 23 2019

potato

Your having the same problem i had a year ago. Port forwarding is blocked since as you said we dont have public ip. ipv6 is not a solution since we dont have a static ipv6 provided by ogero even if they gave us ipv6... we need a better solution

#6 January 23 2019

Aly

I have Ogero and I checked my modem, at the moment the IP is 77.42.X.X, sometimes I do get a private IP  starting with 172 but I can still down / up the wan interface via telnet many times until I get a public IP again.

#7 January 23 2019

Kareem

Ok So i put the modem in bridge mode, connected to the internet from my PC by setting up a PPPoE connection and it's the same result. Unbelievable.... no matter how much I try, I dont get a public IP.

45ae18303135ab730ccc0ceba805ebf0.png

There is no way I can reach my PC from outside the network !

#8 January 23 2019

nuclearcat

ipv4 ips is over, you should switch to ipv6, if you want to access your computer.
It is not that Ogero want or don't want, it is just because ipv4 scarce resource.

#9 January 23 2019

Kareem

nuclearcat wrote:

ipv4 ips is over, you should switch to ipv6, if you want to access your computer.
It is not that Ogero want or don't want, it is just because ipv4 scarce resource.

And how can I switch to IPv6 if my ISP won't assign me one ?

#10 January 23 2019

nuclearcat

Kareem wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

You can nag on their support :)
And, sure, you can use tunnel brokers, some give for end users.

#11 January 23 2019

Kareem

nuclearcat wrote:
Kareem wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

You can nag on their support :)
And, sure, you can use tunnel brokers, some give for end users.

They told me they don't support IPV6 yet. Not sure what to do in this siutation. Probably an SSL tunnel is my best bet.

#12 January 23 2019

Kareem

potato wrote:

Your having the same problem i had a year ago. Port forwarding is blocked since as you said we dont have public ip. ipv6 is not a solution since we dont have a static ipv6 provided by ogero even if they gave us ipv6... we need a better solution

I've seen in one of your threads that you managed to run IPv6 with internet connection. Can you tell me how ? Support is not collaborating. Was there a special request to have this feature enabled?

#13 January 23 2019

rolf

This sucks because with all we are paying for internet in this country they do things like this to spare a few dollars on us.
Have you looked into VPN options that would provide you with a real IP?
Maybe there are some other options where you pay a couple of bucks to have a tunnel?

#14 January 23 2019

beezer

You can buy a static IP from them for approx. 15,000ll a month. I had that problem since day 1 of DSL.

#15 January 23 2019

Kareem

beezer wrote:

You can buy a static IP from them for approx. 15,000ll a month. I had that problem since day 1 of DSL.

Can you provide a link where there advertise such service?

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

#16 January 23 2019

beezer

I don't know if they advertise such a service, go to the Ogero DSL department and complain to one of the guys there, then he'll do it for you. The one guy I met here was pretty understanding and straightforward about it.

They can't afford to give everyone a real IP, that's why you always get those freaking captcha's to confirm sites when you're online here.

#17 January 25 2019

wollyka

I had a DSL connection since the beginning from Cyberia then IDM, never once i got a real IP.. You were lucky all those years. Welcome to the Dark ages :(

#18 January 26 2019

DNA

Kareem wrote:
DNA wrote:

Moving to IPV6 seriously ? I don't see it happening before 5 years.

He told you for end users which means US ? or corporate accounts you mean?

Yea they are already giving /64 Ipv6 when you configure your router for for dual stack, already mentioned to them that Ipv6 is still 20% adopted worldwide we need Public IPv4 he said no IPv4 for "us" only for corporate accounts at this point

#19 January 26 2019

potato

Kareem wrote:
potato wrote:

I've seen in one of your threads that you managed to run IPv6 with internet connection. Can you tell me how ? Support is not collaborating. Was there a special request to have this feature enabled?

All i did was enable ipv6 within the settings assuming it would work and it worked :/ however they only assign dynamic ipv6 even if you dont restart your router next day you will have different IP for whatever reason (as far as i remember) another problem is that the connection became unstable for whatever reason browsing, gaming, streaming would lag many times within a session in all of connected devices.

And finally my host apps are still in ipv4 and not compatible with ipv6 and doing some workaround would be hassle and not optimized.

So all i did was fall back to dynamic ipv4 and lag is solved and install google remote chrome desktop app and when i need any app i just login to my host. its all i can do.

If you want home automation you still need a static ip to have a direct connection with your devices. In my case i did many workarounds to have some direct connections (but still not satisfied) and some not important left with the above solution.

#20 January 26 2019

Kareem

There's no way to overcome GCNAT even with VPN it's pain in the ass and what I did notice lately is that your external IP address does change even if your PPPoE connection didn't restart.

I'm currently testing reverse tunnel over SSH. Will post my findings.

#21 February 10 2019

Elitism Guru

You could always go with L2TP and a manually setup European VPS. Supported by nearly every platform, even routers.
I'm using Arubacloud, 1$/mo for a server in Italy, latency with fast path is around 60-70ms to google.com, ~50ms to euro servers. (w/o 45ms)
My fear is that having a dedicated IP address makes it more prone for security breaches compared to a dynamic one, especially if the VPS/IP is billed to you. (e.g third party illegal activities on your could be a trouble) Not the most anonymous setup.
Works well here with no carrier NAT issues.

I used the following "auto" script: github(dot)com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn

Last edited by Elitism Guru (February 10 2019)

#22 February 11 2019

elserge82

Elitism Guru wrote:

You could always go with L2TP and a manually setup European VPS. Supported by nearly every platform, even routers.
I'm using Arubacloud, 1$/mo for a server in Italy, latency with fast path is around 60-70ms to google.com, ~50ms to euro servers. (w/o 45ms)
My fear is that having a dedicated IP address makes it more prone for security breaches compared to a dynamic one, especially if the VPS/IP is billed to you. (e.g third party illegal activities on your could be a trouble) Not the most anonymous setup.
Works well here with no carrier NAT issues.

I used the following "auto" script: github(dot)com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn

The price I found was 2.79 euro /month can you please pm me your plan's link?? thank you:)

#23 February 2 2020

Kareem

OK so I'm connected now to a VPS. I successfully finished setting up everything and I have a working LT2P/IPsec connection. My plan has a dedicated static IP.

When I connect to the VPN service, indeed I get a real IP. Now the problem is how to perform a port forward ? it simply won't work. I've been up all this weekend trying to find a solution to this. I need my network to be accessible on the internet.

Current setup : Lan IP : 10.0.0.0/24

VPN setup :

Usage of /:   14.1% of 18.18GB   IP address for eth0: 80.2X.XX.XXX
  Memory usage: 16%                IP address for tun0: 10.8.0.1
  Swap usage:   0%                 IP address for ppp0: 192.168.42.1

When I'm connected to the VPN, I get a dynamic private ip from the 192.168.42.X pool

9dc49c4f2d7bb166693f03a2c502de59.png

Now I understand that there' are two machines with the same real IP.  The VPS server and my PC.  Firewall is disabled for testing purpose but still I can't remote desktop or connect to anything outside the network.

Any idea ?

Last edited by Kareem (February 2 2020)

#24 February 3 2020

nuclearcat

You need to do port forward twice... on VPS AND on router with vpn.
Make sure VPS have necessary port opened (many have firewall).

#25 February 3 2020

Kareem

nuclearcat wrote:

You need to do port forward twice... on VPS AND on router with vpn.
Make sure VPS have necessary port opened (many have firewall).

It's very complicated. I mean very very complicated. The VPS has open ports but when a connection is is established on VPN, a new interface is created ppp0 where eth0 is the real IP interface ( network / gateway ).

A portforward is not possible between Eth0 and ppp0 because ppp0 has a subnet of 255.255.255.255 ( one IP as u know )  and it's dynamic.

iptables has many configuration options but then it's not about portforwarding anymore. I need to change the default route. If I do change the default route, the server won't be accessible anymore. 

I however noticed that Ogero is now giving me an IPV6 address.

42242a877de0708f12947072068107f8.png

I am not familiar with IPV6 but what understand is that NAT is no longer needed so router doesn't do any NAT for IPV6 addresses.

karimt@ubiquity:~$ ping ipv6.google.com
PING ipv6.google.com(mrs09s08-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4006:80a::200e)) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from mrs09s08-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4006:80a::200e): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=136 ms
64 bytes from mrs09s08-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4006:80a::200e): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=42.9 ms
64 bytes from mrs09s08-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4006:80a::200e): icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=42.7 ms
64 bytes from mrs09s08-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4006:80a::200e): icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=42.9 ms
64 bytes from mrs09s08-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4006:80a::200e): icmp_seq=5 ttl=54 time=42.8 ms

It's getting interesting because according to my router documentation, no translation is happening hence no port forward needed. Every IP on the network is accessible from the internet which is not logical.

So to conduct a test, does anybody know any free VPS that does have IPV6 connectivity ? I need to test RDP and webserver as mine has only IPV4.

The below website is able to reach my PC behind the router and is telling which ports are open.

http://www.ipv6scanner.com/cgi-bin/main.py

Also IPv6 on my network seem to be working great :

4062f9e07e388d35000d15ed52115b69.png

Last edited by Kareem (February 3 2020)

Board footer