LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 3 2020

Techlover

Best option to get the local channels via satellite dish

Hi,

I currently have nilesat and hotbird , bit since the local channels stopped broadcasting over nilesat , i need a third satellite .

Which would you recommend : installing a dish to receive cablevision broadcast free channels( lbci, mtv, otv, al jadeed ... not the premium channels that need subscription obviously) , or should i go with arabsat badr satellite ?

Does a small dish work for arabsat (like i have for nilesat) or do i need a bigger dish ?
I know the local channels are now broadcasted in hd over badr and cablevision, but will i be able to pick these in sd quality on an old starsat m10 receiver(non hd) that i still have in a room or i will not be able to receive these at all without an hd receiver ?

#2 January 4 2020

xazbrat

Re: Best option to get the local channels via satellite dish

I am not sure you will be able to receive cablevision channels with your receiver---in addition,, I do not know how long cablevision will continue to broadcast the channels unscrambled, so your best choice is probably is probably arabsat.  I don't know what you watch on Nilesat, but chances are that it will be on Arabsat, so you can probably point your Nilesat dish at Hotbird and don't have to bother installing another dish.  I think anything 50cm or more should work.

Also, be aware that you may still have to get an HD compatible receiver---I think LBC and MTV's broadcasts are in HD, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

#3 January 4 2020

Kareem

It's funny that I wanted to create the same topic today. I'm considering a BeIN receiver but the problem is, local channels.

#4 January 4 2020

kareem_nasser

xazbrat wrote:

Also, be aware that you may still have to get an HD compatible receiver---I think LBC and MTV's broadcasts are in HD, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Add New TV.

#5 January 5 2020

xazbrat

Kareem wrote:

It's funny that I wanted to create the same topic today. I'm considering a BeIN receiver but the problem is, local channels.

Considering the same, but since MTV, Al Jadeed  and LBC are on Arabsat now along with Bein, it still a viable choice. I am also looking at Bein  as cablevision costs around the same and  would also get bein connect for the same/similar price--and the receiver for cablevision sucks ass.  That is big for me.

#6 January 6 2020

DNA

do cablevision broadcast the local channels in HD?
on arabsat all of them are HD, though their cameras or encoding is terrible.

#7 January 6 2020

Kareem

I'd go for Cablevision in a heartbeat if they let me have my own receiver. I mean I suggested to pay for 3 of their receivers without taking it, get my own receiver and let them encrypt it. They refused.

I don't know what's wrong with them. Their new receivers the Novel something is on sale on Aliexpress for $8 dollars. 

National channels on Cablevision are in HD ( MTV, LBC and NTV )

#8 January 6 2020

MAS

Kareem wrote:

well for that you can ask beIN to install for you another dish that will be pointed to cablevision (to get the free to air channels), i believe they can point it to Arabsat instead

#9 January 6 2020

xazbrat

Kareem wrote:

I'd go for Cablevision in a heartbeat if they let me have my own receiver. I mean I suggested to pay for 3 of their receivers without taking it, get my own receiver and let them encrypt it. They refused.

I don't know what's wrong with them. Their new receivers the Novel something is on sale on Aliexpress for $8 dollars. 

The CV receiver really pisses me off---its menus are from the stone age and  it is super slow to boot.  If I am pointing the dish at Arabsat, I might as well get Bein straight from the source and not worry about a middleman.  Also, Bein connect is helpful especially when the weather is bad like it has been.

If CV decided to upgrade their current lineup of receivers, then maybe stay with them, but like you said Kareem, they took a really cheap receivers and encrypted them and passed them on to customers without caring what customers thought of them.  They are a monopoly after all, but still---people can point their dishes somewhere else.  They should have figured that out.

#10 January 6 2020

Kareem

xazbrat wrote:
Kareem wrote:

The CV receiver really pisses me off---its menus are from the stone age and  it is super slow to boot.  If I am pointing the dish at Arabsat, I might as well get Bein straight from the source and not worry about a middleman.  Also, Bein connect is helpful especially when the weather is bad like it has been.

If CV decided to upgrade their current lineup of receivers, then maybe stay with them, but like you said Kareem, they took a really cheap receivers and encrypted them and passed them on to customers without caring what customers thought of them.  They are a monopoly after all, but still---people can point their dishes somewhere else.  They should have figured that out.

Well my friend is paying $20 per year for a receiver connected to 3 dishes. He has literally 1000 channel and all encrypted channels even BeIN.

Problem is, uptime is like 90%....

#11 January 9 2020

alcolopa

Hello,

I would advise you to try Digitech, the local channels are there and unscrambled since forever!

#12 January 13 2020

Techlover

xazbrat wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Did you figure how to point the satellite dish to arabsat badr ? I mean what elevation, azimuth ...  I tried the info found on the internet about badr but it didn't really help .
I am having a hard time getting a signal, not sure why .

Last edited by Techlover (January 13 2020)

#13 January 13 2020

Techlover

Kareem wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Well my friend is paying $20 per year for a receiver connected to 3 dishes. He has literally 1000 channel and all encrypted channels even BeIN.

Problem is, uptime is like 90%....

Is he using some kind of cccam server ?
I thought these servers aren't opening bein anymore since 2 or 3 years .

Last edited by Techlover (January 13 2020)

#14 January 13 2020

Techlover

alcolopa wrote:

Hello,

I would advise you to try Digitech, the local channels are there and unscrambled since forever!

Do you have any idea where are its antennas located in Metn or Beirut, or how should we point our dish to get its signal?

Board footer