LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 November 2 2019

Kareem

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

Xsever wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Another update.... I got a Note10+ N9750D/S ( SD855 version) from Latin America.... Inserted SIM card, waited all day and no customs SMS received.

Curious to find out what's the deal, I sent an SMS to 1014 and surprisingly it still shows the IMEI of my Xperia 1 with the same 31 day left message.

So either the system is down or they dropped the whole idea.

I got an S10e from USA (Exynos version) and I inserted the sim card 3 days ago and got the SMS saying I have 90 days. Since the phone is dual sim, I will swap the sim to the other sim card slot when the 90 days expire.

Do you guys know if the custom fees will drop with time as the phone depreciates or it is based on the original price of the phone that they put in their database?

Off topic, the US version is SD855 not Exynos. Not sure if you got it from Amazon but I had a note10+ with Exynos and it totally sucks. The SD855 is much smoother in every aspect.

#102 November 4 2019

jsaade

Just a question. I got 2 iPhone 11 Pro from the US.
Inserted SIM in both and working fine. Did not get any customs message yet. They should send it when I put the sim right?

Last edited by jsaade (November 7 2019)

#103 November 6 2019

Xsever

Kareem wrote:

Off topic, the US version is SD855 not Exynos. Not sure if you got it from Amazon but I had a note10+ with Exynos and it totally sucks. The SD855 is much smoother in every aspect.

I got it from ebay and I wanted the unlocked exynos version G970F/DS. It's very fast compared to my previous S7. Can't compare it with the SD version.

#104 November 17 2019

ironman

Hey guys, is there any way to check whether the esim IMEI is whitelisted or blacklisted?
I tried calling alfa on 111 but they have a strike those days...
Any alternative method?

Thanks

#105 November 18 2019

xazbrat

ironman wrote:

Hey guys, is there any way to check whether the esim IMEI is whitelisted or blacklisted?
Any alternative method?

Thanks

I saw this earlier---send a blank sms to 1014.

#106 November 18 2019

jsaade

xazbrat wrote:
ironman wrote:

Any alternative method?

Thanks

A friend of mine bought an iPhone X from Lebanon. No IMEI blacklist, customs paid etc.
When she travelled to the US, it turns out the IMEI is blacklisted in the US and would not work (it was stolen).

So our IMEI database is just local I guess.

#107 November 18 2019

xazbrat

jsaade wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
ironman wrote:

Any alternative method?

Thanks

A friend of mine bought an iPhone X from Lebanon. No IMEI blacklist, customs paid etc.
When she travelled to the US, it turns out the IMEI is blacklisted in the US and would not work (it was stolen).

So our IMEI database is just local I guess.

Yeah--that's a different issue.  I guess if you buy a phone here and go to the states, you can use https://stolenphonechecker.org/spc/index.jsp, and I am sure that the EU probably has its own too site too   The market here isn't very regulated so black/grey market goods have a way of making it here.

#108 November 26 2019

TheIlluminative

I want to buy One Plus 6T as I am in Dubai and they have it for $320 which is a great price.

How much do I need to pay for it here?

#109 November 26 2019

nosense

TheIlluminative wrote:

I want to buy One Plus 6T as I am in Dubai and they have it for $320 which is a great price.

currently oneplus devices are not in the system so no fees apply to it

#110 November 26 2019

TheIlluminative

Wow perfect. Thanks a lot

#111 November 26 2019

bobo619

TheIlluminative wrote:

I have a oneplus 7 pro and i can confirm that you do receive the 90 days sms but when i send an empty sms to 1014 the countdown stopped at 31 days left for 2 weeks now

#112 December 6 2019

Xsever

The customs fees for a Samsung Galaxy S10e 128GB are 167,000 LBP

Last edited by Xsever (December 6 2019)

#113 December 6 2019

mohammadk97

bobo619 wrote:
TheIlluminative wrote:

I have a oneplus 7 pro and i can confirm that you do receive the 90 days sms but when i send an empty sms to 1014 the countdown stopped at 31 days left for 2 weeks now

I have had the Mi 9t for a while now, and I can confirm too that also happened to me. This is one of the perks of Lebanese being clueless in the world on smartphones.

#114 December 9 2019

infiniteloop

This ''law'' is forgotten by the revolution, it's one of the new aberration tax the corrupted have put

#115 December 24 2019

Salloum

Is this law still in effect? I've heard from people who have iPhones and Samsungs and other mainstream devices that after the 90 days their phones still worked just fine. Has anyone actually experienced their phones being barred from the network after the 90 days?

#116 December 24 2019

bobo619

Salloum wrote:

Is this law still in effect? I've heard from people who have iPhones and Samsungs and other mainstream devices that after the 90 days their phones still worked just fine. Has anyone actually experienced their phones being barred from the network after the 90 days?

I have an iphone 11 pro max with only 25 days left on the counter will report back once it is over.

Last edited by bobo619 (December 24 2019)

#117 December 24 2019

bobo619

My brother s iphone stopped at 31 days for a while now

#118 December 25 2019

Xsever

Does the 90-day limitation reset every year? I got my phone from abroad and started using it late October. The 90 days are supposed to expire in late January 2020. Will I get new 90 days starting 1 Jan 2020?

#119 December 25 2019

bobo619

The sms states it is 90 days per year and not sure if it is since the day of activation or if it resets Jan 1.

#120 January 7 2020

Kazouza

So, any idea if the Jomrok thing still being applied to new phones bought outside of Lebanon? I'm considering buying a new phone for a family member from France.

#121 January 7 2020

bobo619

Kazouza wrote:

So, any idea if the Jomrok thing still being applied to new phones bought outside of Lebanon? I'm considering buying a new phone for a family member from France.

They are stopping at 31 days left

#122 January 8 2020

infiniteloop

what about buying a smartphone from aliexpress? Are they still stopping them at the airport?

#123 January 10 2020

Sasuke

bobo619 wrote:
Kazouza wrote:

Are they sopping the service or the days count down?

#124 January 10 2020

bobo619

Sasuke wrote:
bobo619 wrote:
Kazouza wrote:

Are they sopping the service or the days count down?

What i learned is that seeing the situation now they have stopped the countdown at 31 days(i contacted an alfa representative). I have no idea if they will reinstate it after the dust have settled.

#125 January 17 2020

Salloum

Any further updates on this? I’m flying in next week and my mother needs a new phone. Considering buying it from abroad but don’t want it to cause her headaches later on.

Board footer