LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 25 2019

Metalloy

110v appliance to 220v

Hey guys,

My mother in law was asking about a coffeemaker she brought with her 2 decades ago from Canada. it is rated as120v/1500W. She want to start using it now but don't want to use a transformer so i told her perhaps an electrician can change the power supply to a 220v; is that possible? and if so, is there any factor that need to be taken into consideration? what about cost estimation for such modification?
thank you

#2 December 25 2019

rolf

Re: 110v appliance to 220v

How much it will cost is nothing anyone can answer without examining the device. Most probably some experience in electronics is needed as well. Some devices may have a hidden switch to change the input voltage

#3 December 25 2019

nuclearcat

Might be some motor or heater rated at 120V in such type of appliances, so it will be hard.
Better to find 2KW transformer, it is much safer.

#4 December 25 2019

Hemorrhoids

I converted few kitchen items like a Molinex grinder with some rewinding, a coffee machine is too complicated.

#5 December 26 2019

Metalloy

i guess I will inform her to drop the idea altogether.
thanks guys

#6 December 27 2019

xazbrat

My parents had someone do the conversion---it was a $800 stand mixer dough, not a <$100 dollar coffeepot.  You could use a transformer, but sort of hiide so it is out of the way and get a plug for it which only fits that device or any other ones which come your way.  If you want to see if it can be done, take it to a place which fixes appliances and ask.  It may be easier and/or cheaper than we thought as your grandmother wouldn't be the first person to bring such a device to Lebanon.

Board footer