LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 23 2019

georgeskhoury

Any e-wallets that still work and can be funded with debit card?

Since banks have become unreliable and wiring money is impossible, is there any website or app that can let me store some money funded by my debit card with them until i need to wire it to a 3rd party?
Skrill was perfect but i guess they stopped accepting lebanese members.

#2 April 3 2020

tbaba

Re: Any e-wallets that still work and can be funded with debit card?

georgeskhoury wrote:

Since banks have become unreliable and wiring money is impossible, is there any website or app that can let me store some money funded by my debit card with them until i need to wire it to a 3rd party?
Skrill was perfect but i guess they stopped accepting lebanese members.

Try transferwise - it's an exchange rate app basically - for every new currency you use, transferwise provides you a dedicated "bank account" (IBAN or Routing number). At any time, you can transfer your money via wire transfer to your real bank account.

PS: transferwise supports a wide range of currencies, unfortunately, LBP is not one of them.

Last edited by tbaba (April 3 2020)

#3 April 3 2020

rolf

AFAIK Transferwise requires a bank account and Lebanon is not supported.

#4 April 3 2020

xazbrat

rolf wrote:

AFAIK Transferwise requires a bank account and Lebanon is not supported.

If you can find a way to fund it and transfer/launder whatever to a Lebanese account, it would provide a 'fresh' cash account on which there would be fewer restrictions including e-wallets.  It would just have to look like it is coming from outside the country.

#5 May 2 2020

az09za90za

any updates on e-wallets availability ? , i am trying to transfer some funds into my skrill using my lebanese cc($) but all e-wallets transfer services declines the card.

#6 May 2 2020

Johnaudi

az09za90za wrote:

any updates on e-wallets availability ? , i am trying to transfer some funds into my skrill using my lebanese cc($) but all e-wallets transfer services declines the card.

Why would you want to transfer money to Skrill? I'm having a hard time withdrawing from Skrill and I have a Cypriot account there. (For some reason, their VCC doesn't work anywhere, and they don't consider the Bank of Cyprus to be a legitimate bank (?))

If in the future you're looking for Skrill funds, I think I'd love to sell you mine. (had to pay a fee to exchange them for crypto)

#7 May 2 2020

az09za90za

Johnaudi wrote:
az09za90za wrote:

Why would you want to transfer money to Skrill? I'm having a hard time withdrawing from Skrill and I have a Cypriot account there. (For some reason, their VCC doesn't work anywhere, and they don't consider the Bank of Cyprus to be a legitimate bank (?))

If in the future you're looking for Skrill funds, I think I'd love to sell you mine. (had to pay a fee to exchange them for crypto)

actually i am more trying to buy cryptos with my cc , and i have a verified account on skrill (i was using it in the past years) , lately i was away from the crypto scene , and im just avoiding the hustle of finding new exchange to use.
TL;DR : 1-i have a verified account on skrill., 2-im trying to remove as much as i can $$ from my bank account using my cc.

#8 May 2 2020

Johnaudi

az09za90za wrote:

actually i am more trying to buy cryptos with my cc , and i have a verified account on skrill (i was using it in the past years) , lately i was away from the crypto scene , and im just avoiding the hustle of finding new exchange to use.
TL;DR : 1-i have a verified account on skrill., 2-im trying to remove as much as i can $$ from my bank account using my cc.

You can lose between 10-20% whilst converting Skrill to BTC/ETH, and another 4-10% converting BTC/ETH to USD. I would highly suggest finding someone who accepts Skrill and gives you cash (withdrawn with his Skrill Card).

What I will start doing as soon as the airports open is to withdraw Euros with my Skrill CC in Cyprus, this way I would lose ~3-5% instead of 10-20. (Ticket to Cyprus 20-40 euros, withdraw from ATMs in the city, not at the airports)

Last edited by Johnaudi (May 2 2020)

#9 May 2 2020

az09za90za

Johnaudi wrote:
az09za90za wrote:

You can lose between 10-20% whilst converting Skrill to BTC/ETH, and another 4-10% converting BTC/ETH to USD. I would highly suggest finding someone who accepts Skrill and gives you cash (withdrawn with his Skrill Card).

What I will start doing as soon as the airports open is to withdraw Euros with my Skrill CC in Cyprus, this way I would lose ~3-5% instead of 10-20. (Ticket to Cyprus 20-40 euros, withdraw from ATMs in the city, not at the airports)

funny part is that i am stuck at the first step of this plan, i cant deposit my money at any e-wallet since none is accepting my cc , i was planing to buy cryptos and hold to compensate the loss, i guess my only hope is adding funds to amazon and wait for someone to trade a purchase with crypto (or cash if local).
btw do u need to be physically present in cyprus to open bank account ?

#10 January 6 2021

Hassan

Hello guys,

Any suggestions for an e-wallet that can be opened from Lebanon? Checked Skrill and Neteller but both don’t have Lebanon in the list of supported countries when trying to sign up.

I am trying to withdraw money from Etoro and my Audi fresh account is not accepted as etoro does not want to deal with Audi Bank nor Bankmed (not sure why). And since none of the Lebanese banks are opening new accounts, I am left with no option but to withdraw to an e-wallet.

#11 January 6 2021

Kazouza

Hassan wrote:

Hello guys,

Any suggestions for an e-wallet that can be opened from Lebanon? Checked Skrill and Neteller but both don’t have Lebanon in the list of supported countries when trying to sign up.

I am trying to withdraw money from Etoro and my Audi fresh account is not accepted as etoro does not want to deal with Audi Bank nor Bankmed (not sure why). And since none of the Lebanese banks are opening new accounts, I am left with no option but to withdraw to an e-wallet.

I guess for the following silly reason: Founded: 2006, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

#12 January 8 2021

zizo99

Hassan wrote:

Hello guys,

eToro is forbidden in Lebanon I guess because of the money laundering law something. I don't know that's what the bank told you few years ago before I was starting to use eToro

If you find a way to withdraw your money from eToro, please tell me how

#13 May 14 2021

Scode99

zizo99 wrote:
Hassan wrote:

Hello guys,

eToro is forbidden in Lebanon I guess because of the money laundering law something. I don't know that's what the bank told you few years ago before I was starting to use eToro

If you find a way to withdraw your money from eToro, please tell me how

Did you try with Bank Byblos? They are the only bank that accept trading website withdrawals

#14 May 16 2021

VipModz

Did you try with Bank Byblos? They are the only bank that accept trading website withdrawals

Byblos Bank doesn't work with Transferwise (tried it myself), so I doubt it will work with any e-wallet

#15 May 17 2021

Guitaret

Did you guys use whish.money? It is a Lebanese money sending service (like OMT) but it can work to convert CC to cash.
Disclaimer: I haven't tried yet

Last edited by Guitaret (May 17 2021)

Board footer