LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 14 2019

Tech Guru

Next Generation Consoles Prerelease Hype.

Yesterday the upcoming Xbox ( Xbox Series X ETA Holidays 2020) is officially announced.

It can output an 8k signal like the ps4 pro does in its 4k output, but in the actual  rendering it will use a pesudo 8K , dynamic resolutions ,  checkerboarding ,  upscaling all falls in the marketing scams yes it is "8K"  since the signal coming to an 8K TV in 2020 will be 8K

2nd,  since it is a Navi Based custom GPU ( along with PS5) I do not trust AMD premarketing hype that makes many foaming hard. 5700XT 7nm .. trend , prerelease perception vs actual performance reality.

I will wait for actual testing experience.

4K (UHD) = 3840 x 2160p
8K = 7680 × 4320p

# of pixels in 4K = 8,294,400
# of pixels in 8K =  33,177,600

Jump in pixels =  33,177,600 - 8,294,400) / 8,294,400 = 300% increase in pixels count

I am skeptical a 3080ti can do that here comes MS claiming the 8K bullish marketing hype.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 16 2019)

#2 December 14 2019

LifeEngineer

Re: Next Generation Consoles Prerelease Hype.

Of course it's a marketing stunt/hype. Outputing 8K is one thing while gaming on 8K is another thing. Maybe play a movie in 8K?! Or a very slow casual game like board games or something like that (that is not taxing the hardware).
Basically MS had to resort to that coz Sony said that the PS5 can output 8K.

#3 December 14 2019

Hemorrhoids

I don't think the hype is around 8k, I'm pretty sure that if the 3080ti can do that this post would not exist.

#4 December 15 2019

Tech Guru

LifeEngineer wrote:

Of course it's a marketing stunt/hype. Outputing 8K is one thing while gaming on 8K is another thing. Maybe play a movie in 8K?! Or a very slow casual game like board games or something like that (that is not taxing the hardware).
Basically MS had to resort to that coz Sony said that the PS5 can output 8K.

Exactly

#5 December 15 2019

Tech Guru

Hemorrhoids wrote:

I don't think the hype is around 8k, I'm pretty sure that if the 3080ti can do that this post would not exist.

All media & the release trailer it self are " concentric" about "8K" capable.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-specs

#6 December 15 2019

infiniteloop

The console itself won't be more expensive than a Geforce 2080 but each game will be even more expensive than actual PS4 + add the new $ thingy will make them even more expensive unless you buy them online

#7 December 15 2019

kareem_nasser

They do play around for marketing and pr reasons but if you look for the actual context, what they really meant is the consoles are "capable" of rendering 8K resolution (ps1 graphics maybe) and the frame rate 120fps is for instance to show the capabilities of the CPU as previous gen was mainly held back by the mobile low powered CPU.

Aside from the above, no AAA will be at 8K nore 120fps. For instance Okami on PS3 was rendered internally at 4K and then downsampled to 1080p

Remember when Ken said PS3 is capable of rendering 240fps?

#8 December 15 2019

beezer

Will have to wait and see but the Xbox One X does do true 4K with a lot of games unlike the PS4+ which does what you believe the Series X will do with 8K.

As for games with 8K. They already announced Halo, Hellblade 2 (with a crazy in game engine footage trailer) and of course Forza.

I'm very excited about the multiple games on standby, the series X will be a power horse just like the One X is. It will gain more as the games will be made to support series X and upwards where as they messed up on releasing the One X where games had to support the original One, One S, and the X so a lot of games weren't optimized for that, but if you look at games like Forza and Division 2 on One X. They are damn amazing.

#9 December 16 2019

Tech Guru

beezer wrote:

Will have to wait and see but the Xbox One X does do true 4K with a lot of games unlike the PS4+ which does what you believe the Series X will do with 8K.

As for games with 8K. They already announced Halo, Hellblade 2 (with a crazy in game engine footage trailer) and of course Forza.

I'm very excited about the multiple games on standby, the series X will be a power horse just like the One X is. It will gain more as the games will be made to support series X and upwards where as they messed up on releasing the One X where games had to support the original One, One S, and the X so a lot of games weren't optimized for that, but if you look at games like Forza and Division 2 on One X. They are damn amazing.

4k/30 fps in few AAA titles - fixed and else dynamic 4K or upscaled. The 30fps part is with dips in intensive areas.

#10 December 16 2019

beezer

As I said the games are made to run on all versions of Xbox which is why the code isn't so efficient. But this problem isn't there in the series X.

#11 December 19 2019

Tech Guru

beezer wrote:

As I said the games are made to run on all versions of Xbox which is why the code isn't so efficient. But this problem isn't there in the series X.

Not a generally applicable claim.  Consoles at the end are hardware limited and claiming 8K is nonesense. Take the recent CoD Modern Ware tilte for example with its new very optmized  engine and awesome graphics. Both the Xbox One X and PS4 use a dynamic scaler for 2160p. The PS4 Pro has the lower min resolution vs the Xbox One X but provide a better overall consistant frame paced gameplay. Reason for that is the Xbox One X pushed out of its hardware capabilities.

Digital Foundry Tech Showcase Analysis

https://youtu.be/xEraHTENsQY

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 20 2019)

Board footer