LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 26 2019

TheIlluminative

Advice on what to do with my mortgage

I recently bought a house. I paid $25,000 and the total amount is $115,000. Do you recommend keep paying? Or wait? or even tell the guy I don't want the house anymore and pay a penalty? [He told me it will be $3000]. The house is not finished yet and it needs 1 more year.

Currently I pay $700/month then I intend to take a loan after the completion of the project.

Thanks guys!

#2 November 26 2019

Guitaret

Re: Advice on what to do with my mortgage

TheIlluminative this answer is directly related to the current banks bankruptcy problem and so it all depends on the below:
X = 25k - 3k

Can he return X? Are you sure he will do it without any fuss?
Is the amount in USD? how much can he pay you in cash (not transfer)? Is your income safe or is it threatened by the economy crisis?
Are you sure the project is progressing? Are you seeing any work being done?
What is the type of deal between you too if ISKAN took another 2 years to open? Will he accept you moving until the loan is ready?
Most importantly: Do you still want the place knowing the country is going downhill (for God knows how much) until it is back on its feet?

Last edited by Guitaret (November 26 2019)

#3 November 26 2019

NuclearVision

taking a loan in usd is a suicide mission imo.

#4 November 26 2019

Guitaret

NuclearVision wrote:

This shall take place (if any) very far from now and so his question is whether he should exit the deal right now.

Last edited by Guitaret (November 26 2019)

#5 November 26 2019

xterm

NuclearVision wrote:

Iskan loan is in LBP

#6 November 26 2019

NuclearVision

i would never take a usd loan.

#7 November 26 2019

sero

I would only keep the deal if all the below are met:
- 115k$ is really (really) a very good deal for the apartment.. a great catch
- My salary is in USD and i have a secure job (won't get effected even if economy crashed)
- I am sure some party (a bank probably) will lend me $$ on a fare rate in a year.

#8 November 26 2019

TheIlluminative

Thanks guys for the help.

Yes I work for an international company so my salary is in USD.

The thing is, I was thinking of getting that money back, I have more in the bank and get a small flat in Cyprus/Istanbul. The cost of living is superiors and not that expensive. $1000 in Istanbul would be magic! I will live like a king there.

But from the other part, if I can paying for it, I can rent this apartment in the future and get passive money.

#9 November 27 2019

rolf

Check Georgia I think it is even cheaper.

Last edited by rolf (November 27 2019)

#10 November 27 2019

TheIlluminative

rolf wrote:

Check Georgia I think it is even cheaper.

Yeah I visited it couple of times, but the problem is with transportation (flights) and language. You need to know at least Russian to talk freely to people.

#11 November 27 2019

Guitaret

TheIlluminative wrote:

Thanks guys for the help.

Yes I work for an international company so my salary is in USD.

The thing is, I was thinking of getting that money back, I have more in the bank and get a small flat in Cyprus/Istanbul. The cost of living is superiors and not that expensive. $1000 in Istanbul would be magic! I will live like a king there.

But from the other part, if I can paying for it, I can rent this apartment in the future and get passive money.

My advice would be to get your money back in USD, make sure to check the contract between you two. In some contracts they allow the reimbursement in LL equivalence (ما يعادله في الليرة اللبنانية).
About buying outside, the banks are currently blocking any international transfer, it's very difficult now to transfer money outside the country.

#12 December 8 2019

duke-of-bytes

i told my bank to pay my loan with my current account (both dollars) they refused
so i defaulted .. you want your money ? take em from your fake account

#13 December 9 2019

Guitaret

duke-of-bytes wrote:

i told my bank to pay my loan with my current account (both dollars) they refused

You mean your saving account, paying your loan from your current shouldn't be a problem.

#14 December 9 2019

NuclearVision

How can they refuse? This is funny stuff.
They owe you money but you can't take it.
You owe them money, and you must pay it, and don't even mention the money they owe you.
I guess they try their luck with different customers, different mentalities.. And the endresult would be positive input to the bank, if they can get a good amount to pay their debt with cash.

#15 December 9 2019

duke-of-bytes

Guitaret wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

You mean your saving account, paying your loan from your current shouldn't be a problem.

sorry yes you are correct , my saving account

#16 December 15 2019

Ari

have you checked Armenia as a replacement ? their GDP is 7% and the economy is booming specially the IT sector. and far cheaper than turkey nor Lebanon

Board footer