LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 10 2019

sero

Camera slow read/write to SD card.

I bought a new camera that saves vids to an SD card. The camera has no screen so i access the vids from an app on my mobile (both should connected to the same wifi router).
It looks like the camera is extremely slow when writing/reading from the SD card.

The SD card i am using is: Sandisk Ultra microSD 32G that i have since 4 years ago.

The SD card works great when i use it in my gopro hero 4.

Once i record a small vid (10 seconds) i can't connect from the mobile app to the camera for at least 5 min.
After 5 min I am able to connect and see the vid.

My questions:
is a 4 year old microSD considered old and i need to buy a newer one? does the 2019 Sandisk microSD have better read/write rate?
I am still not 100% confident that the issue is from the SD card. Could it be something else?

#2 December 10 2019

Johnaudi

Re: Camera slow read/write to SD card.

Is your SD Card a Class 10?

#3 December 10 2019

kareem_nasser

I suggest you check wikipedia regarding SD cards, as they are a bit overcomplicated.

So you might still buy a 2019 SD card which has very low read/write speeds, it all depends on the speed class. Just be careful as the market in Lebanon is littered with fake brands and copycats.

#4 December 10 2019

rolf

Is it a micro SD with adapter?

#5 December 10 2019

xazbrat

I would buy a new one for the camera, but just in case, format it and see if you have the same issues, but I think the 4 year old disk isn't as efficient as it once was and may not be able to handle faster read/writes from newer devices.

#6 December 12 2019

sero

yes it is class 10
I bought a new micro SD (same brand and same class) and everything is working now.
Out of curiosity i compared the IO on both, the newer one is 5 times faster.
So its either the old micro sd is performing bad through age, or the newer one has better read/write rates.
Thanks for your comments.

#7 December 12 2019

nefe_lpmk

Always get Samsung EVO+ or Sandisk Extreme class 10 for UHS-1

Board footer