LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#451 December 8 2019

Tech Guru

Re: Lebanese lira to USD exchange

Iam following the Turkish way ( easy access) ,taking LBP ~ 10,000,000 LBP / Person distributed on  3 persons (  30,000,000 LBP) and transfering the LBP to USD there ( I know two exchangers at Istanbul who take LBP).   The rate there is @ 1520 , in correlation of the BDL USD to LBP rate , since there is no official devaluation of the currency only black market demand/supply valuation. Way two if they disagreed there to exchange to USD (They sometimes do that) ,  they accept LBP to Turkish ,  got the Turkish Lira here and exchange it to USD. A win -  win situation that is working with me without the black market devaluation.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 8 2019)

#452 December 8 2019

TheIlluminative

Nice one Tech, but why not 15,000,000? as you can take $10K with you?

Can you share the exchange offices there?

#453 December 9 2019

Padre

Tech Guru wrote:

Iam following the Turkish way ( easy access) ,taking LBP ~ 10,000,000 LBP / Person distributed on  3 persons (  30,000,000 LBP) and transfering the LBP to USD there ( I know two exchangers at Istanbul who take LBP).   The rate there is @ 1520 , in correlation of the BDL USD to LBP rate , since there is no official devaluation of the currency only black market demand/supply valuation. Way two if they disagreed there to exchange to USD (They sometimes do that) ,  they accept LBP to Turkish ,  got the Turkish Lira here and exchange it to USD. A win -  win situation that is working with me without the black market devaluation.

And why not make money out of this cycle ?

#454 December 9 2019

chosen2k

Rate is 1495 in Turkey. People are shoving money down their pants and going there.

#455 December 9 2019

nosense

chosen2k wrote:

Rate is 1495 in Turkey. People are shoving money down their pants and going there.

Where is this ? my friend was yesterday there and the rate was 2800

#456 December 9 2019

Kareem

nosense wrote:
chosen2k wrote:

Yeah that's what I was wondering lol... I had it confirmed by multiple sources that the rate in Istanbul is even higher than Beirut.

#457 December 9 2019

NuclearVision

Kareem wrote:
nosense wrote:
chosen2k wrote:

Yeah that's what I was wondering lol... I had it confirmed by multiple sources that the rate in Istanbul is even higher than Beirut.

Makes sense. I guess the exchanger tech guru was talking about, was not up to date with the situation, and will probably have to pay the loss out of pocket.

#458 December 9 2019

rolf

I have a feeling there is something fishy happening involving turkey.
The dual exchange rate is not good

#459 December 9 2019

Guitaret

Just sold USD @ 2000LL in Jounieh

#460 December 9 2019

Johnaudi

Rate 1950-2050 Mansourieh

#461 December 9 2019

duke-of-bytes

i was just in Istanbul , the rates Tech guru is talking about are not correct .. i checked 8 different places .. also Turkey is controlling the dollar exiting the state .. they are not dumb

#462 December 9 2019

Kareem

duke-of-bytes wrote:

i was just in Istanbul , the rates Tech guru is talking about are not correct .. i checked 8 different places .. also Turkey is controlling the dollar exiting the state .. they are not dumb

I hope you smelled the sarcasm in our replies to his imaginary story.  Turkish exchange offices knew about the blackmarket rate before we even do.

#463 December 10 2019

Guitaret

Kareem wrote:

I hope you smelled the sarcasm in our replies to his imaginary story.  Turkish exchange offices knew about the blackmarket rate before we even do.

I admit I had fallen for that story for a little while especially after another confirmation (check below)

chosen2k wrote:

#464 December 10 2019

Kareem

Guitaret wrote:
Kareem wrote:

I admit I had fallen for that story for a little while especially after another confirmation (check below)

chosen2k wrote:

I guess that was the beginning of the sarcasm ^-^

#465 December 10 2019

rolf

BTW Bank Byblos debit card (USD) - last week you could withdraw up to the daily limit (1000 USD) in France. In Euros.

#466 December 10 2019

AVOlio

I have a debit card linked to an LBP account.
Until yesterday, I had no clue that I could have used the card for online purchases.
I was so excited that I cna purchase USD online with a LBP account linked debit card with the official exchange rate.
But I was disappointed when I found out that I can only spend 100$ MONTHLY in my case. 
Fransabank!

#467 December 10 2019

Kareem

rolf wrote:

BTW Bank Byblos debit card (USD) - last week you could withdraw up to the daily limit (1000 USD) in France. In Euros.

And btw, Middle east airlines are taking LBP @ 1507.5 LL  I just booked a flight.

#468 December 10 2019

rolf

It's high season! You must be desperate.
But anyway it's worth it, have a nice trip. Keep in mind that there is an open ended strike of public tranportation in France, so if you are going to Paris, you will feel right at home with the traffic jams and chaos.

Last edited by rolf (December 10 2019)

#469 December 10 2019

Kareem

rolf wrote:

It's high season! You must be desperate.
But anyway it's worth it, have a nice trip. Keep in mind that there is an open ended strike of public tranportation in France, so if you are going to Paris, you will feel right at home with the traffic jams and chaos.

Thanks Rolf, nothing but good news in the last 2 months. Paris is always very crowded and I spend most of my time on the road at peak hours. I'm gonna read more about the strike online.

#470 December 10 2019

rolf

Kareem wrote:

Thanks Rolf, nothing but good news in the last 2 months. Paris is always very crowded and I spend most of my time on the road at peak hours. I'm gonna read more about the strike online.

Well either you have a high budget for Uber and Taxis, or you dress up warm, including gloves, beanie, parka, rent a bike and get ready to develop some serious thigh muscles.

Still a great experience, I hope you will have a good time.

#471 December 10 2019

Guitaret

Sold it @ 1970LL today.

FYI, Dollar in Dubai is selling for 3200LL right now

#472 December 10 2019

Kareem

rolf wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Well either you have a high budget for Uber and Taxis, or you dress up warm, including gloves, beanie, parka, rent a bike and get ready to develop some serious thigh muscles.

Still a great experience, I hope you will have a good time.

I'm using lime, the scooter app. Very affordable and fun yet convenient. I also take uber for long rides. I'm still fighting with the bank to increase the international limit. I got the approval but the process is lost somewhere.

#473 December 11 2019

xazbrat

Just saw this in Turkey

wy02EyGFBONxyB-G?format=jpg&name=small

#474 December 11 2019

Guitaret

xazbrat wrote:

I think that we earned our right for an official to come up in public and say it to our faces: The USD is not worth 1500LL anymore. I cannot tolerate the volatility in the prices anymore. I am afraid to pay for anything right now since I am not sure how much his/her USD is worth. Even a Syrian electrician yesterday did ask me to get paid for his work in USD so he can send it to his family abroad.
Not knowing the price to expect feels worse that an actual announcement that 1USD = 10,000LL.

Last edited by Guitaret (December 11 2019)

#475 December 11 2019

Kareem

xazbrat wrote:

I just logged in to post this actually. Quite funny.

Board footer