LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 21 2019

Techlover

Line or ADSL modem/router issue

Hi,

I am subscribed to an ogero open speed ADSL plan.
I had an issue a few months ago where my connection dropped frequently or slowed down extremely , at that time I was using the Ogero customized ADSL/VDSL Technicolor modem DWA0100 with my old wiring .
So 5 months ago I changed my modem to the TP-Link TD-W8961N V3 and wiring ( 3M cat6 UTP cable with LeGrand wall Socket) , that improved the connection but didn't fix the problem entirely. One month later, the connection improved a little bit magically by itself .

I am facing a similar issue again now: my internet slows down from effective 13 mbps to 0.1mbps periodically for a few minutes since 1 or 2 months .
Ogero's technician did a reset to the DSLAM port, it improved for a week or so but now the problem is back .
I don't notice any significant changement in the line stats when the problem occurs, so I don't think it is noise related .
Here are my line stats:

Downstream    Upstream    
SNR Margin:        10.6        13.5        db
Line Attenuation:  27.5        17.5        db
Data Rate:        17245        1020    kbps
Max Rate:        18828        1100    kbps
POWER:             20.0        12.5        dbm
CRC:              101          0    

I updated the modem's firmware to the latest version and I put ADSL MODE ADSL2+ instead of Auto Sync Up to see if it helps, but the issue persists .
Here are interesting errors i found in the router logs:
WANIPConnection->GetGenericPortMappingEntry failed
Last errorlog repeat 1 Times
netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 ...
Where do you think the issue is ? What do you suggest to try ? I seriously can't find the issue :(

Last edited by Techlover (November 21 2019)

#2 November 21 2019

Kareem

Re: Line or ADSL modem/router issue

Can you login to your router via telnet or SSH ? If so, try increasing the SNR marging from 10 to 13 and see if that helps.

#3 November 22 2019

Techlover

Kareem wrote:

Can you login to your router via telnet or SSH ? If so, try increasing the SNR marging from 10 to 13 and see if that helps.

I am always checking my line stats when the speed drops, it is always normal,  SNR and line attenuation don't drop , I don't think it is noise related . But anyway i'll try to increase the SNR margin .

Is it possible the modem quality is bad ? Anyone tried this particular model : TP-Link TD-W8961N V3 ?

Last edited by Techlover (November 22 2019)

#4 November 22 2019

Kareem

If it's happening on two modems, it's not the one to blame.

#5 November 22 2019

ahk40a

Techlover wrote:
Kareem wrote:

I am always checking my line stats when the speed drops, it is always normal,  SNR and line attenuation don't drop , I don't think it is noise related . But anyway i'll try to increase the SNR margin .

Is it possible the modem quality is bad ? Anyone tried this particular model : TP-Link TD-W8961N V3 ?

I have been suffering alot as well. I changed the modem as well with no success. Even when I adjusted the SNR it was still dropping.

Eventually, it was a problem from Ogero, where they have adjusted the pairs that the line was connected to.

#6 November 26 2019

Techlover

ahk40a wrote:
Techlover wrote:
Kareem wrote:

I have been suffering alot as well. I changed the modem as well with no success. Even when I adjusted the SNR it was still dropping.

Eventually, it was a problem from Ogero, where they have adjusted the pairs that the line was connected to.

I'll try to ask ogero to check these,but unfortunately they are not very responsive .

Board footer